Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Lake Cumberland In January-FNF SM?

Hey guys, need your help on fishing reports! Planning on fishing LC the second week of January for those brown fish. FNF is first choice, 2nd is casting jigs.

Will be fishing out of Jamestown area. Would appreciate any and all post on fishing reports on the lower end of the lake between now and then.

Good Fishing to all.
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Cumberland In January-FNF SM?

Gary,
    Well, I talked by brother into finding a free day this week so we will be FnF fishing Thursday in the general area of Jamestown. I'll let you know how we do.

If you have an open seat during January, I'd love to drive down and fish!

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Lake Cumberland In January-FNF SM?

Quote Originally Posted by fishrgurl View Post
    Gary,
    Well, I talked by brother into finding a free day this week so we will be FnF fishing Thursday in the general area of Jamestown. I'll let you know how we do.

If you have an open seat during January, I'd love to drive down and fish!

Michael
    Michael,
    Come on down, I'll have an open seat.
    Tenative plans are to visit family in Lexington on the weekend of 12-13, and then drive down to Jamestown and fish on Monday & Tuesday the 14 & 15.
    I've ordered a couple of new FNF rods/reels and can't wait to to try them out.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like fun! I'll definitely give you a report after tomorrow.

I'll have to check my work schedule when I go back after New Year's. I know that we have a company-wide planning session on that Tuesday that I can't miss, but there's a (probably small) chance Monday could work.

Post Thanks / Like

We stayed very close to Jamestown. Water was 49° and clear. Sky was overcast but wind was very light to dead calm.

We didn't get started early enough (around 9). Had a lot of bites early. I caught a 10" and a 16" KY and a 17.5" Smallie. Lost two nice keeper KYs that I fought for awhile each and what I think must have been a very large Smallie that broke off when it ran. Might have been a striper or a flathead though. I couldn't turn it with that rod and my drag may have been too tight.

Here's the smallie I landed. It was a nice, healthy fish that gave me quite a battle:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdv1234/FishingPictures/photo?authkey=uEBh6nH9iGo#5148825428045338834

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Lake Cumberland In January-FNF SM?

Quote Originally Posted by fishrgurl View Post
    We stayed very close to Jamestown. Water was 49° and clear. Sky was overcast but wind was very light to dead calm.

We didn't get started early enough (around 9). Had a lot of bites early. I caught a 10" and a 16" KY and a 17.5" Smallie. Lost two nice keeper KYs that I fought for awhile each and what I think must have been a very large Smallie that broke off when it ran. Might have been a striper or a flathead though. I couldn't turn it with that rod and my drag may have been too tight.

Here's the smallie I landed. It was a nice, healthy fish that gave me quite a battle:

http://picasaweb.google.com/mdv1234/FishingPictures/photo?authkey=uEBh6nH9iGo#5148825428045338834
    Michael,
    Thanks for the report. Hey that's better than we did at DH on the FNF outing. How did your brother do......? Were you fishing in the creek(s) or on main lake?

Looking forward to fishing LC 2nd week in January. Ordered some of those Peanut Jigs from Andrew at DH, just in case those brown fish don't want the fly.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

What would be a good depth to set a jig for fnf?I have never tried it.
    Jake

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Lake Cumberland In January-FNF SM?

I'm still learning, but the Pro's say 10 - 15 feet. Starting at around 10' in the AM and increasing throughout the day and then working back toward 10' in the pm. I think it has to do with the amount of sunlight, so you might want to modify this based upon current weather. All of the above is subject to change if you can mark fish on your sonar, then adjust accordingly.

Check out the www.smalljaw.com site for some good information on FNF and catching the SM.

From one novice to another.....Good Fishing.
    Gary
    Last edited by FlyLie; 12-28-2007 at 12:26 AM. Reason: sp

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Michael,
    Thanks for the report. Hey that's better than we did at DH on the FNF outing. How did your brother do......? Were you fishing in the creek(s) or on main lake?

Looking forward to fishing LC 2nd week in January. Ordered some of those Peanut Jigs from Andrew at DH, just in case those brown fish don't want the fly.

Gary
    Unfortunately, my brother got skunked. He had some bites, but never hooked up. He didn't have as many bites as me, though. Not sure why, although he was using the garlic fish dope and I was using the shad.

All fish and bites were half-way back in the creeks. We only went out to the main lake at the end of the day and didn't have any success.

If I had any advice, I'd say fish the FnF from first light until about mid or late morning. Then go in for lunch or try something else.

Michael