Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Kentucky Lake Time Frame?

I'm planning a spring crappie trip to Kentucky Lake and was wondering when would be the best time to schedule?I know weather plays a big factor but what would be the best normally?I've never fished there and need some pointers,ie spots,baits,etc.We are planning on staying at the Big Bear Resort.Has anyone stayed there and if so how was the accommodations?I'd like all the info I can get from anyone who knows about the lake.I know all ya'll will help me out.Thanks in advance !! Chad

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky Lake Time Frame?

The timing of the best crappie fishing depends on so many factors it's difficult to predetermine a specific date. My recommendation would be to follow Dave Stewarts weekly fishing report on this web site. You could also contact him on this matter. As far as Big Bear accomodations, I have stayed there on several occassions and have been very pleased with everything. Very nice and helpful people. Many crappie are caught during Feb. I try to plan on being there around the second week in April. If the weather is decent you can usually find some crappie then.

Post Thanks / Like

Spring can be a pretty crowded time. If you're not able to get into Big Bear Resort when your plans draw nearer, Moor's Resort is also a good place, especially if you have several people going (rent a house and split the costs). I haven't been there since the tornado ripped through it but I'm sure they've got things back in order.

Post Thanks / Like

A good rule of thumb is late March for the Black Crappie and mid April for the White Crappie. The Black Crappie have been more consistant in the past couple of years as weather/water conditions have taken its toll on the White Crappie spawn lately...ie...that is the primary reason for the new 20 fish limit on Ky this year.
    Big Bear is a very nice resort as is The Moor's. If I were choosing I would probably go with The Moor's as the staff there are more user friendly in my opinion.
    Given the recent past history and the increase in the numbers of Black Crappie here I would opt for the late March period. I would also recommend that you get a good Crappie guide for the first day here...Rodney Hairgrove guides out of Big Bear and would be an excellent guide for you...but you need to get your booking in...for both lodging and guide....that is a busy time of year here for Crappie and Bass anglers.

Post Thanks / Like

First of all, hello to everyone. A spring trip to Ky Lake can be rewarding, but can be frustrating if you have never fished it before. My family and I have been making it down to Ky Lake for about the past 25 years. I have made trips down there in early March to late May, sometimes I get my limit and sometimes fishing is tough. I am planning on going down for a week beginning April 12. We tend to have better luck in mid April, but last year the weather was warm, so we went mid March and had a great time and caught alot of slabs. It's really hard to say when the "right time" to go is. I always say the best time to go fishing is any day that you can. We have stayed at Big Bear many times and I really like it there. I am staying there again this year also. I suggest that you make your reservations for your accomodations and boat slip very soon because things fill up very quickly everywhere. I usually make my reservations in early fall for my spring trips. I fish mainly with jigs, but I also use minnows alot too. Take make different colors of jigs, when fishing slows sometimes a different color jig makes all the difference in the world. I had great luck last year fishing size 0 and size 1 purple popeyes made by Cabin Creek Baits. I fish mainly Bear Creek and the mouth of Bear Creek, but as you will find out the wind can be just relentless and brutal. We have been run off the lake many times by the wind and the big white caps. Also keep a eye out for lightning if springs storms approach, its a big lake and somewhere you don't want to be when the lightning starts popping. Good luck and be safe.

Post Thanks / Like

Chad .... if you haven't already, you might want to give this a thorough read thru : http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigat...vPath=C101C552 (all three sections).

I used to go the third week in April, many moons ago ... but mostly fished buck brush on Barkley. With the change in Crappie population numbers, to a greater % of Black Crappie, you'd probably do better planning on going sometime between late March and mid April. That tagging study article should also help with timing ... just keep up with the water level, temps, weather forcast, and fishing reports.

.. luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Guys for all of the great info.This site is so helpful.I got the wife working on reservations to see whats left open as far as time frame.If Big Bears doesn't have anything then we'll try Moor's Resort.Thanks again for all the useful info and fishing tips.Happy New Year to everyone! Chad