Search Fishin.com

Thread: Boat Insurance

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Insurance

Who do you have yours with and are you satisfied? I am thinking of going with Progressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Insurance

Several guys posting on bassboatcentral say they have very bad results with progressive

Post Thanks / Like

I've had nothing but good results from Progressive... The one time I used them...Unfortunately I had to use my insurance. I was on Barren and ran over a floating log coming from the river after a heavy rain. Messed up the whole lower unit, prop, skeg. Called Progressive - they had an adjuster to the shop the next day. The estimate from boat dealership was over $3,000 - as soon as the boat was ready - the agent went and hand delivered the check and I was able to pick the boat up the day it was finished. A $500 deductable is much more managble for me than $3000 - especially when my policy is only around a couple hundred bucks a year. My rates didn't go up.

My local agent is out of Jamestown - I have had them for auto since I turned 16, but was living in Bowling Green when this happened so a Bowling Green agent dealt with everything.

Post Thanks / Like

I have all my insurance with Farm Bureau, You can usually save money by getting your boat, car and home owner's insurance from the same company.

Ia had 2 claims with mine. Lower unit and a prop. Both paid promptly and the rate didn't increase.

Post Thanks / Like

Try Erie Insurance Group. I have my house, 2 cars, a truck, and boat all insured with them. On single items their insurance beats all the companies in my area, including State Farm. I group all my insurance needs with Erie and get a multiple policy discount as well as discounts for anti-theft devices, home security system, etc.

Erie forgives your first accident and they don't give you problems when it's time for them to pay a claim.

Post Thanks / Like

State Farm by far..... Farm B. ways really high, Progressive was even higher. I only pay $255.00 a year full coverage and it includes personal item coverage too.

Post Thanks / Like

I used Allstate for years---haven't had alot of problems, except my insurance went up to a little over $1000 a year and my boat is almost 9 years old. Crazy!!!!
    I went with Boat U.S. They appear to have great coverage, even towing coverage on the road, plus they will even reimburse your tournament fees, if an accident made you not able to compete. They have a division oof their company geared towards the tournament angler. Kind of cool.
    I got full coverage with 300,000 liability coverage---tournament fishing amount of coverage needed. Plus good amounts on everything on my boat and it was only about $400 a year. Couldn't be happier.
    I even had my house, and truck with Allstate and they were still charging me a bunch!!! Crazy!

Post Thanks / Like

I use progressiv, and never really had a problem with it. I pay it every year and never used it!!! I know several people who swear by it - So I am sticking with it. I would rather have good insurance and not need it than save some money on premiums and sacrafice some coverage. I know the customer service I have spoken to at progressive have been pretty helpful.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbass View Post
    I've had nothing but good results from Progressive... The one time I used them...Unfortunately I had to use my insurance. I was on Barren and ran over a floating log coming from the river after a heavy rain. Messed up the whole lower unit, prop, skeg. Called Progressive - they had an adjuster to the shop the next day. The estimate from boat dealership was over $3,000 - as soon as the boat was ready - the agent went and hand delivered the check and I was able to pick the boat up the day it was finished. A $500 deductable is much more managble for me than $3000 - especially when my policy is only around a couple hundred bucks a year. My rates didn't go up.

My local agent is out of Jamestown - I have had them for auto since I turned 16, but was living in Bowling Green when this happened so a Bowling Green agent dealt with everything.
    Maybe different now but years ago me and my dad had Progressive and let's put it this way....It was a pleasant experience until something happened then they were the most difficult company I have ever dealt with for insurance. I doubt they will ever get my business again. On the other hand, I have all my insurance now with Farm Bureau. I have never had any clains on my boat but I have had a couple on some vehicles and they have been very easy to deal with, very fast to respond and very fast to pay as well. I am very pleased!

Post Thanks / Like

Mark, Allstate will negotiate. Show them quotes from other companies and they will come down. Also if you sell your boat, dont cancel the insurance until you replace it. Allstate short rated my policy last year when I cancelled the insurance. ( I even told them I was buying another boat)Lost about 200.00.