Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Finally got to see it..

Wow! I have heard about it and seen the pictures but man it's something else to see it first hand. We were around the Cub creek area. Just amazing!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finally got to see it..

Quote Originally Posted by DJD View Post
    Wow! I have heard about it and seen the pictures but man it's something else to see it first hand. We were around the Cub creek area. Just amazing!
    Are you referring to the new level of the lake???

Post Thanks / Like

This is the lowest I have ever seen the lake

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Are you referring to the new level of the lake???
    Yep, I really never fish Cumberland (maybe 5 times in 5 years) and always wanted to see the new lake level. We were riding 4 wheelers in areas that looked like they would normally have 10ft of water in them?

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I really never fish Cumberland (maybe 5 times in 5 years) and always wanted to see the new lake level. We were riding 4 wheelers in areas that looked like they would normally have 10ft of water in them?
    I've fished the big C for quite awhile now and I've seen it alot of ways. 677 is the lowest I've ever fished it. I personally like the lower levels and enjoy the new look of the lake. It keeps the big floaters down in numbers and some of the Ohio Navy wavemakers too. I'm hearing the Corp is going to try and hold it at 690 come spring instead of the target 680 now. Ten more feet will flood alot of the new vegetation that has grown and make the fishing great. Also it will make it alot easier to get in on some ramps now that can be tough at the present levels.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    I've fished the big C for quite awhile now and I've seen it alot of ways. 677 is the lowest I've ever fished it. I personally like the lower levels and enjoy the new look of the lake. It keeps the big floaters down in numbers and some of the Ohio Navy wavemakers too. I'm hearing the Corp is going to try and hold it at 690 come spring instead of the target 680 now. Ten more feet will flood alot of the new vegetation that has grown and make the fishing great. Also it will make it alot easier to get in on some ramps now that can be tough at the present levels.
    Mhall,
    I wish I could fish it more. We talked about hitting it again soon. What's the best time if we wanted to catch a few Smallmouth? I know the FNF thing can work now but is Feb or March better for casting lures? Thanks
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Mhall,
    I wish I could fish it more. We talked about hitting it again soon. What's the best time if we wanted to catch a few Smallmouth? I know the FNF thing can work now but is Feb or March better for casting lures? Thanks
    Don
    Don, it's all about water temps instead of time of year even though they do somewhat coincide most of the time. Water temps from the low 50's through the low 60's is really good. My personal experience when it gets really hot is in the spring of the year late Feb through about Derby time. In years past it seems that when the water gets to about 55 to 58 degrees and it's on. That's not to say you can't really catch'em other times but this is a reasonable consistant perrinial pattern to look for. March can be a special time for the brown bass when the water gets to these temps as they put on the feed bag in preparation to their pre-spawn. An array of lures will work at this time from topwaters to bottom bouncers. For me I do really well every year on hard and soft jerkbaits, and also spooks, solid black and the shad patterns will work on the spooks. Crankbaits have their moments for me and did produce my personal best of a 5lb 9oz in March. I bounce points in the spring and have several little milk runs I do that produce for me year after year. Alot of guys will fish the very back ends of the creeks searching the warmer water and more frequent bites. Do I do this, yes and it works good too. I find myself catching more largeheads and especially spots with this pattern. You will catch more fish doing this and even some smallmouth, but my experience for me is to fish for the smallmouth at the heads or half or less the way back the creeks on main and secondary points. Give me my spinning reel 8lb P-line flouro-clear line and my trusty jerkbait with a trick feather tail and look out, might get your arm broke. Hang on to that rod tight between jerks they'll take it from ya. I'm no expert but I catch my share and have moments I guess. With Cumberland it can be feast or famine, it's the ultimate humbler, or it can be awesome. I've had days of 20lb of smallmouth in five bass and go back the next day do the same thing and get spanked, that's the big C. Good luck if you go.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you that's great info.

Post Thanks / Like

Don I wrote heads of creeks and meant to say mouths on my target spots for smalljaws, just a type-o sorry. I had a senior moment, lol.