Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Smallmouth Report @ Lake Cumberland

My January SM trip to LC has been On-Off and Back On. My concern has been the weather forecast (60-70% rain), however this has changed with the forecast now calling for 10-20% rain through Saturday with cloudy to partly cloudy skies and a 30% chance of rain/snow on Sunday. As I am 4 hours away from LC, I like to spend several days when I do get a chance to go. So, if the weather does''t change, I'll head out tomorrow for Jamestown and fish on Thursday and Friday for sure.

Anyone been this past weekend or earlier this week. Just wondering what effect all of this warm weather/rain has had on the fishing and water conditions in the creeks and main lake? Smallmouth (FNF) is my target, but if then isn't happening, they a few Ky Spots or Stripers would certainly be acceptable.

Any help appreciated. Good fishing to all,

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Smallmouth Report @ Lake Cumberland

Went Saturday and had 6 pull downs on FNF catching 4 fish, one smallie weighed 5-1, another 4 pounder, one 15 in smallie and one 13 in KY. Fish on points with wind. Went Monday and caught 8, missed 4. Had a BIG KY weighing 3+pounds, nice largemouth around 3.5, and the rest were KY and 3 smallies 12-16 in. We did catch 4 os the fish Monday on shiners the rest on FNF. I would think that the FNF would be better next week after the cold spell. I would also try a wiggle wart....I didn't because my partners wanted to FNF.
    Good luck and see ya on the water,
    Tim
    bassmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    My January SM trip to LC has been On-Off and Back On. My concern has been the weather forecast (60-70% rain), however this has changed with the forecast now calling for 10-20% rain through Saturday with cloudy to partly cloudy skies and a 30% chance of rain/snow on Sunday. As I am 4 hours away from LC, I like to spend several days when I do get a chance to go. So, if the weather does''t change, I'll head out tomorrow for Jamestown and fish on Thursday and Friday for sure.

Anyone been this past weekend or earlier this week. Just wondering what effect all of this warm weather/rain has had on the fishing and water conditions in the creeks and main lake? Smallmouth (FNF) is my target, but if then isn't happening, they a few Ky Spots or Stripers would certainly be acceptable.

Any help appreciated. Good fishing to all,

Gary
    You can't get too hung up on the weather forecast. The reason my Dad and I did not go this past Saturday was that he called me at 6:30AM and said it was going to rain and he didn't want to be out in the rain (he had surgery recently). I looked at the NWS site that morning and it said the rain would be after 2PM. Well, it started raining about 7AM and was finished by about 10:30AM, but by that time we had decided not to go. The forecast still claimed that the rain wouldn't be until after 2PM even at noon when it had already come and gone.

I do not put any stock in weather forecasts outside of current temperature and the radar.

That being said, we plan to go this Saturday and fish the FnF and will let you know how we do.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Smallmouth Report @ Lake Cumberland

Quote Originally Posted by bassmaster View Post
    Went Saturday and had 6 pull downs on FNF catching 4 fish, one smallie weighed 5-1, another 4 pounder, one 15 in smallie and one 13 in KY. Fish on points with wind. Went Monday and caught 8, missed 4. Had a BIG KY weighing 3+pounds, nice largemouth around 3.5, and the rest were KY and 3 smallies 12-16 in. We did catch 4 os the fish Monday on shiners the rest on FNF. I would think that the FNF would be better next week after the cold spell. I would also try a wiggle wart....I didn't because my partners wanted to FNF.
    Good luck and see ya on the water,
    Tim
    bassmaster
    Bassmaster, thanks for the encourging report.

Fishrgurl, If I am still out there on Saturday, might see you around the James town area?

Good fishing to all,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Bassmaster, you wear me out bro!

My brother and I went Sunday, it was really windy. We put in at Burnside and fished south fork, pitman and the main lake points and cuts between pitman and fishing creeks.

We threw wiggle warts and sparkle tail cranks in shallower water 12-15 ft and the ONLY action we got was on small rubber jigs with uncle josh craw avocado trailer in 25-30 ft of water. All the fish I graphed were between 15-25 feet deep. But the two fish we got were not smallies, even though that was what we were after. (2 largemouth, 14-15 inches)

Of course, I am no expert on Cumberland, I may have to beg Bassmaster to hold my hand and show me how to do it next time.

If you go in at Jamestown, I would go toward Burnside and hit the creeks/points between Faubush and Fishing creeks. Thats what everyone has been saying.. but I just havent had much luck there this fall/winter.

Post Thanks / Like

We had a Fishers of Men Tournament out of Conley - about 3 nice Small mouth weighed in. One went 6.01lbs.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pastorbass View Post
    We had a Fishers of Men Tournament out of Conley - about 3 nice Small mouth weighed in. One went 6.01lbs.
    What did it take to win? I heard one of the tourneys down there this past weekend took 25lbs to win. Congrats to whomever, that was one heck of a sack of fish. I didn't hear anything more so not sure if they were smallies or LM's but it really don't matter, lol! Very impressive.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boone View Post
    Bassmaster, thanks for the encourging report.

Fishrgurl, If I am still out there on Saturday, might see you around the James town area?

Good fishing to all,
    Gary
    Gary,
    We'll definitely be in the Jamestown area if we go. We'll be in a small, tan, older tri-hull fiberglass boat with a small Evinrude motor. I remember what yours looks like.

Michael

Post Thanks / Like

There were two tournaments - FOM and Backwaters (they go every other Saturday I believe).

It did not take 25lbs - I wish it did, that was a heck of a sack. My info is not handy at the moment, but I believe it was just over 13lbs for 4 fish. I don't think anyone had a limit. I've got to get everything entered into the system tonight so I will post the results on here as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fishrgurl View Post
    Gary,
    We'll definitely be in the Jamestown area if we go. We'll be in a small, tan, older tri-hull fiberglass boat with a small Evinrude motor. I remember what yours looks like.

Michael
    I'll give you a call on your cell Saturday AM if I'm still on the lake. I'm staying at TimberPoint Lodge, thus I will most likely launch out of Jamestown marina, not the state park.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I heard John and Shannon Devere won a South Central tournament out of Jamestown with 27lbs. I also heard they were Largemouth. This is just what i HEARD...

Post Thanks / Like

A good friend of mine fished the tournament this weekend. He said John and Shannon had 25lbs and 2nd place had 21lbs. ALL SMALLMOUTH.