Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question Question On Crappie Fishin K-lake?

Hey Guys....a Quick Question On K-lake. We Hit The Crappie Spawn Last Year On The Tennessee Side (i Think It Was The Blood River??) And Just Killed 'em. I Was Hoping To Hit It Again This Spring, But Was Wondering If There Was A Good Spawning Site On The Kentucky Side? The Added Driving Distance And Out-of-state License Purchase Put A Damper On The Funds! If There Was Just As Good Of A Spot On The Kentucky Side, That Would Be Great! I'm Not Looking For Someone's Honey Hole....just A General Area. Any Info Would Be Appreciated. Thanks......keep Your Lines Tight!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question On Crappie Fishin K-lake?

Blood River is on the Kentucky side of the lake and is a very good Crappie area...maybe you were in Big Sandy last year? If you were in Blood River or anything north of the U.S. 79 bridge at Paris you really did not need a Tennessee license as there is a recipriacal agreement between Ky and Tn in the area between that bridge and the U.S. 68 bridge in Aurora.

Another favorite area for Crappie anglers on north Ky Lake is Jonathan Creek and also Big Bear Creek.

Post Thanks / Like

I only been to KY Lake one time in my life. Our Bass Club put in @ Jonathan Creek for the start of our two day Tournament. While practice fishing the day prior, my partner and I saw I bet at least 10 Crappie Stake Beds in that creek. Great thing about the stake beds is, if you buy one of those topo Maps, like they have at Wal-Mart. The kind with the Hot Spots on them, they will have the Crappie Stake beds already marked for you. Good Luck and hope this helps.....

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    Hey Guys....a Quick Question On K-lake. We Hit The Crappie Spawn Last Year On The Tennessee Side (i Think It Was The Blood River??) And Just Killed 'em. I Was Hoping To Hit It Again This Spring, But Was Wondering If There Was A Good Spawning Site On The Kentucky Side? The Added Driving Distance And Out-of-state License Purchase Put A Damper On The Funds! If There Was Just As Good Of A Spot On The Kentucky Side, That Would Be Great! I'm Not Looking For Someone's Honey Hole....just A General Area. Any Info Would Be Appreciated. Thanks......keep Your Lines Tight!
    You might want to look thru this entire article : http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigat...vPath=C101C552

Any info I could give you ... would be 20+yrs out of date ... LOL !!
    You may not even want to fish the same creeks that are in the article, but you can certainly apply the info to most any that you do fish !!
    All of the creeks/bays on KY Lake have good spawning spots/areas. Check with the local tackle shops, to see how far along the spawn is and in what depth of water they're currently holding.
    You didn't say "when" you were going ... and that will definitely make a big difference - in all aspects of the trip.
    If you don't get enough info, here, to satisfy you ... check out www.crappie.com -- State Message Board for KY. Keep checking off and on, up until it's time for you to head there ... I'm sure the members will be talking about KY Lake as the Spring spawn approaches. Join if you want, or just lurk and learn.

... luck2ya ... cp

Post Thanks / Like

blood river is in ky i go every year april-may, lots of crappie, there are 3 -4 places, lodging etc in ky, maybe 5 places, Wildcat lodge is one just google blood river lodging ky lake. Plus a campground with both trailer rentals and spots w/hook ups

Post Thanks / Like

hot spots............. in the back of blood river are thousands of exsposed stake beds. just run your milk route in line withseveral 100 other's bring a big cooler

Post Thanks / Like

Question Re: Question On Crappie Fishin K-lake?

THANKS FOR THE INFO GUYS! I'M SORRY I GOT OUR LOCATION LAST YEAR MESSED UP.....IT WAS THE BIG SANDY DOWN IN TENNESSEE. I KNEW I'D HEARD SOMETHING ABOUT THE BLOOD RIVER...THAT'S WHY I MUST HAVE SAID THAT. AS FOR THE TIME OF YEAR WE'RE PLANNING ON GOING....IT'LL BE APRIL-MAY.....AND WE'LL DEFINETLY BRING A LARGER COOLER THIS YEAR! WE FILLED UP A COUPLE LAST YEAR! GOOD TASTING FISH! THANKS AGAIN GUYS....LET ME THROW ONE MORE QUICK QUESTION YOUR WAY...............MINNOWS OR PLASTICS?

Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget if you fish the Kentucky waters here this spring for Crappie that the limit has been reduced to 20. As far as minnows or plastics...best to read my report, Malcolm Lanes report on this site and other reports for the prevailing patterns just before you come down..and I am sure some folks here also will know what patterns are around the time you come down. As far as hitting the spawn..I don't think you will find that many spawning Crappie here in May.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Dave.....i'll Keep My Eye On The Reports Before We Head Down. I Guess We'll Go Down Early April To Catch The Spawn...that's When We Hit It Last Year, But Because Of A Cold Front That Pushed Through, We Still Ended Up Fishing In 12-15 Ft Of Water Out On The Drops. I Really Want To Catch 'em Shallow This Year Behind A Float....that's So Much Fun! Thanks Again!

Post Thanks / Like

You got it right on that cold front last early April..the whites never did come in shallow after that...that makes three years of poor spawns on the whites here. That is why the KDFW lowered the limit to 20 here starting this year. From what I read they are not getting enough of the smaller Crappie count because of the past few years of bad spawns on the Whites. The Black spawn was good last year...the Crappie guides were loading the boats with the Blacks here last spring but they come in earlier...in March. Hopefully we will see a good spawn here for the Whites over the next few years and get that count up on the younger year classes.