Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

single trailor or tandem trailor

can anyone shed some light on single trailors or tandem trailors.i have noticed that most 18,19,and 20 ft boats mfg offer tandem trailors for their boats as an option.i know the heavier the boat the tandem trailor is probably your best choice(4 tires vs two,extra axle,etc)but for an 18' boat why would you consider a tandem vs a single axle. the tandem trailor probably weighs 30 to 40 % more and with gas over $3.00 a gallon this is something to think about.thanks for any information or experience you have had with tandem trailors.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: single trailor or tandem trailor

If I were going to be traveling more, I would like the double axle trailer. I have a tr-20 with a single axle trailer, and I haven't had any problem with it, but I am only a 10 minute drive from the lake. I don't think the fuel economy would change much between the two, but I may be wrong. It seems like the double axle trailer would tow a little better, and the wear on the trailer, tires and axle would be more evenly distributed as opposed to the singe. The doubles definitely look cooler. For and 18 footer, I don't know if it would make a huge differnence, other than price, and maybe re-sale value.

Post Thanks / Like

i agree with col forbin but as far as moving it in your garage it wont happen with a tandem you can shove it around and it will come right back but a single you can shove to one side or the other with ease. just in case you would need more room on one side or the other

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know how much movement you'll do once you're disconnected from your tow vehicle but you better be ready to RUMBLE when it's comes to wrestling with it if you go to tandem. Never owned one but have plenty of friends that have. Twice the tires, twice the bearings, twice the maintenance. Singles are easier to move, bearings are less maintenance especially if you have the ones that are encased in lubricant that have a window on the hub. If you're worrying about $3 gal gas with a tandem maybe you might consider something smaller. It's unfortunate but I don't see fuel getting any cheaper in my lifetime.

Post Thanks / Like

i saw in bass and walleye mag some years back a trailer manu. was building a tandem trailer that you could raise one axle like on a dump truck for turning and maneuvering.I believe basscat used it.I noticed on my uncles triton the front tires are tore all to heck from scooting when you turn short,do you need to rotate them a couple times a year to keep from ruining them??

Post Thanks / Like

I'd rotate them annually and when replacing tires also have them balanced. Sounds like a great winter project.

Post Thanks / Like

i have a tandem and have had since 1995 rotated once a year before fishing started and i am 2 years on my 2nd set but if you dont rotate fronts will wear out fast .they get the most scoot on a sharp turn. but as far as ride and pull i wont own nothing but a tandem.example flats-single you are going to stop. tandem if for some reason no air in spare you could limp to a gas station a house or something to get air in spare hope this helps and just my 2 cents