Search Fishin.com

Thread: GPS/SONAR

Post Thanks / Like

GPS/SONAR

I have narrowed my search to lowrance lms522-c. The question is can you run two transducers on one unit but not at the same time have one on troll motor and one on the transom and switch back to one or the other. Also I went into the archives and found a bit on someone talking about the new fish and boat rules and reg. The guys on the front page are Frank, George, and Ed. They caught there limits at Meldahl. The sauger have no size limit just 10 fish a day. I havent heard any thing else but Frank the older man was in a bad car wreck, so I wish him the best and hope to see him in the spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: GPS/SONAR

I believe you can run two transducers, but you will need a Splitter switch. So that you can switch trany's when at the console and or at the Bow of your boat.

Post Thanks / Like

I am looking for a Sonar/GPS myself and found that the 520/522 was one of the cheaper but better buys. I will probualy go with the 522 once I make myself cough up the money. The cheapiest Ive seen them were 569.99 on the internet and 649.00 at Basspro. I called Lowrance the other day and they said they sell for 499.00 I asked him if I could buy from them, he said no just a retailer. Is there that much mark-up? Basspro says there is no mark-up on electronics. Who knows, let me know what the cheapiest you find one for. Joe

Post Thanks / Like

Try a web site called Tiger, they had the best prices I could find on the net. 10% or more cheaper than Bass Pro or Cabelas.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: GPS/SONAR

He's very right about Tiger. Before Christmas I bought a GPS unit that retailed for $549 in the BPS catalog for $349 at Tiger. Watch for their front page specials that they have from time to time.

Post Thanks / Like

The site that is mentioned tiger, could you give the specific name of there address I am interested in checking it out. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Need to check out this site as well for great prices on GPS's........

http://www.planetgps.net/gps---fixed-mount.html

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know if this awswers your question, but the new software update(v2.1.0) for 522c offers sonar sharing between units.
    I dont know if both units have be to on or not to work....KP

Post Thanks / Like

EZGO, the site is wwwtigergps.com

Post Thanks / Like

I agree 100% with using the Tiger site. I saved a good deal of money there, and they have good service if you need to call and talk to them.

Post Thanks / Like

If you don't got with a side scanning sonar unit you will be sorry later on.

They are by far the best new fishing tool invention since the boat.

But if you can't afford these I understand. But If I had 1000 bucks laying around I would use it to buy the Humminbird 797c Si unit before any other sonar unit other than the new 1197 unit which is due out in Feb.

Check out the Bass Pro Shop's new 2008 Fishing Catalog and see for yourself where they put the new Humminbird Side Scanning Sonar units. They are the first sonar units in the new catalog. They bumped Lowrance out of that spot and that was not easy to do.

I saw a big screen Lowrance unit on sale as Gander Mountain but they wanted 2400 for that thing. Yet it's only 2D and can only cover about 30 ft of bottom per 10 seconds while the Humminbird 1197 can cover about 240 x 2 ft each second or two. Going at 4 mph you can cover a lot more ground with the side scanning technology than with the older 2D technology.

I guess I should not be telling you this. I should keep you in the dark and let you spend your money on that old technology. Mean while I'll be using the side scanning units and finding the fish 100 times faster than those without this technology.

I was one of the first fisherman to own and use a Lowrance Little Green Box fishing sonar unit. They ran on two 6 Volt Dry Cell batteries and use the old flasher technology. We use to hide the little green box inside a black bag and didn't show it to anyone else on the lake. It was our secrete for a few years. We found the drop offs with it and learned the bottom structure after reading how Buck Perry explained how to use topo maps to read the bottom contours. We learned that fish relate to structure and drop offs with structure ( stumps) on the drop off. Fishing was a lot different before Buck Started teaching people how to locate big fish. He used scuba diving to find the way and combined that knowledge with his engineering knowledge and his years of fishing experience.

Don't get me wrong guys. I am trying to help you make the right choice that you won't regret for the rest of your life.

Check out the Yahoo side scanning sonar forums before you take the plunge.

If you don't buy one now that's OK. They will only get better with time. The next years crop will do more than this years models. That's the nature of technology development.

You all hurry out and get out there an buy one of them new fangled things now. That way the price will come down some more to where I can afford to buy one for myself. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

If you want a good sonar/gps unit go with the Lowrance. If you want side scan go with Hummingbird. Right now the best of both worlds would be to have both.