Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lake Michigan and Tribs

I moved to Valpo last year and never really got out to do any fishing. Now I'm getting the urge. I'm interested in fishing Lake Michigan from shore and also the tributaries. Any locals who don't mind sharing some information? Where and when can one find the winter bite? Can the LM walleyes be caught from shore? What're the hot methods? I spent a little time yesterday on Trail creek with a slip bobber and salmon eggs, but luck wasn't with me.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lake Michigan and Tribs

No one has any advice? Does anyone on here fish northern Indiana?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Streamer View Post
    No one has any advice? Does anyone on here fish northern Indiana?

I'll bumb this up for you so maybe someone from that area will see it and answer your questions.

The boards (forums) are slow at this time of the year. Not many guys thinking about fishing when it's this cold out side. Only the die hard fishermen will be in here in Jan and Feb.

I am about as far away from you as you can get and still be in IN. If gets cold enough to freeze the river I can walk to KY. LOL

Did you try the IDNR web site and see if there are any public access points along the Lake or those streams.

Good luck to you in finding a good place to fish. Just remember that not everyone wants to give up a good fishing spot. Maybe you can horse trade for something with those guys up North?

Post Thanks / Like

Im also far from you buy Ive fished the streams going into the Lake for steelhead trout and salmon and Ive always had good luck. I caught my biggest one there this fall, a 12 lb steelhead. Ive never fished there in the winter time. My friend went up there about a month ago and fished for 3 days and didnt even get a bite.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out the lakemichiganangler.com will give you info on lake mich

Post Thanks / Like

moose, thanks for the help. I have indeed been to the DNR website. It give some pretty good information. I figured the boards might be slow now, but I thought maybe people would be getting cabin fever and would come here to talk about fishing.
    I was hoping some of the locals might give a few tips. I understand about not wanting to give up good spots. I have some smallmouth locations I might be willing to trade for steelhead locals.

Slip, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Check out Indiana Fishin.Com.........Guys from Northern Indiana are on this site some are even guides. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Streamer View Post
    moose, thanks for the help. I have indeed been to the DNR website. It give some pretty good information. I figured the boards might be slow now, but I thought maybe people would be getting cabin fever and would come here to talk about fishing.
    I was hoping some of the locals might give a few tips. I understand about not wanting to give up good spots. I have some smallmouth locations I might be willing to trade for steelhead locals.

Slip, thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks PL. Just registered...nice site.

Went out to Trail Creek today. No bites. I didn't see anyone else do any good either. I'll try again next weekend.