Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Best Fishin Around Louisville Area???

Hey Guys....we're Moving To The Louisville Area And I Was Wondering Where The Best Fishing Is In That Area? It's Hard To Leave B.g. And All My Honey Holes! I've Heard A Little About Fishing The Ohio Locks, Guist Creek And Taylorsville....but, Any Info Would Be Appreciated!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Fishin Around Louisville Area???

Those spots are some of the better ones around. What kind of fishing do you do?

Post Thanks / Like

For multi spieces of fish and close to the Lou. area you can't beat the falls of the Ohio. While many have hung up there poles for the winter I have brought home my limit of sauger the last three weeks, with several walleye in the mix. Even with the high waters you can allways find a little honey hole that holds fish. I've even seen several large mouth and one nice smallmouth come out this past couple weeks. When the cotton woods bloom in the spring get down there and you to will be spoiled just like I am. While many travel for hours to get to some of the many lakes in KY.From anywhere in the Lou. area you can be fishing the falls in 20 min. or less.

Post Thanks / Like

I agree with the McAlpine Locks, I just discovered that place this September and have been hooked since. But RiverRat--I have never had luck on the river when it is "up", and I'm sure we all know what "up" is. I cant find any slackwater from the bank and I'm sure thats where they are. Do you have any suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like

Patoka Lake in Southern Indiana crappie bass channel cats good fishing out of state fishing lic not expensive, wait until 28 feb to buy for the ney year 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by condusivecranker View Post
    I agree with the McAlpine Locks, I just discovered that place this September and have been hooked since. But RiverRat--I have never had luck on the river when it is "up", and I'm sure we all know what "up" is. I cant find any slackwater from the bank and I'm sure thats where they are. Do you have any suggestions?
    Yes, Now that the upper pool has stablized and the lower gauge is falling, get out and find a creek system that runs into the main stem of the river, The main channel of the creek is where the fish will come up when the river comes up.Try to find an area that has a steep bank close to the channel so if the river comes up you can still cast to the channel. I have a couple of places like this at the falls. And by boat I fish silver, and sh!t creek when they flood.These are easy to get to if you put in at the ampitheater in New Albany. I also will fish under the railroad bridge at the upper dam, when the river get's way up and the lower gauge almost meets the upper. I've seen striper trying to jump the upper wall. Myself and two friends caught our limits out of an area no bigger than an garbage can lid when the water was like this .The key is to get out while the river is down and find these areas ,take a camera,that will help when everything is underwater. I'll be down at the falls tomorrow look for a white f-150 ford lariet ed. with a 150gal.tank in the back...I will help any way I can...Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

You fishin this weekend Chuck?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by fisheater View Post
    You fishin this weekend Chuck?
    John, Headin down to my creek tomorrow, hate to see it droppin like a rock ,but I figured, since it came up so fast...been gettin some good fish! What cha doin tomorrow????Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

I may be fishing early tomorow. If I do, its going to be from the shore. So right now, do you guys recommend the upper dam by the state park or the lower dam? Just wondering! I would LOVE to get me a stripe!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Those spots are some of the better ones around. What kind of fishing do you do?
    I'LL FISH FOR ANYTHING.....I'M AN OPPURTUNISTIC FISHERMAN! HOWEVER, I MOSTLY FISH FOR BASS (OF ANY KIND). THANKS FOR ASKIN!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by riverrat12 View Post
    For multi spieces of fish and close to the Lou. area you can't beat the falls of the Ohio. While many have hung up there poles for the winter I have brought home my limit of sauger the last three weeks, with several walleye in the mix. Even with the high waters you can allways find a little honey hole that holds fish. I've even seen several large mouth and one nice smallmouth come out this past couple weeks. When the cotton woods bloom in the spring get down there and you to will be spoiled just like I am. While many travel for hours to get to some of the many lakes in KY.From anywhere in the Lou. area you can be fishing the falls in 20 min. or less.
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY.....WHAT OTHER SPECIES ARE FOUND AT THE FALLS? AND WHAT ARE THE HOT LURES? IS IT BOAT ONLY...OR CAN YOU FISH FROM THE SHORE? THANKS AGAIN!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    THANKS FOR THE REPLY.....WHAT OTHER SPECIES ARE FOUND AT THE FALLS? AND WHAT ARE THE HOT LURES? IS IT BOAT ONLY...OR CAN YOU FISH FROM THE SHORE? THANKS AGAIN!
    You can fish from both shore and boat, I suggest you go with someone that knows the area if you go by boat. And keep up with the water levels for they will change often. You can do this by calling 775-5056.As far as spieces oh my,off the top of my head you have catfish blue, flat,and channel mostly white,hybrid, largemouth,smallmouth and stripe bass,sauger,saugeye, and walleye,drum, buffalo,gar, crappie bluegill, bighead, and common carp,kill the bighead please.spoonbill miss. basin paddlefish, freshwater eel, and sturgeon but thats one speices I haven't caught but am told it's there. standard lures are jig and grub combos, spoons, raddletraps are favorites, live bait such as skippjack, threadfin, and gizzard shad, green worms catalpa and horseweed worms, and shrimp for channels I rarly fish for anymore...just not big enough! well I'd like to say more but I got to go freeze my backside off the rivers callin...Chuck