Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie Fishin Ohio River Oxbows

I Read An Article In Kentucky Game & Fish (since It's All I Have To Do With This Freezing Weather!) About Fishin The Ohio River's Oxbows For Crappies. Sounded Like It Can Be Really Good. It Talked About A Large Oxbow Just Below The Medahl Pool That Was Supposed To Be Really Good. Has Anyone Had Any Experience With This? Just Curious.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crappie Fishin Ohio River Oxbows

I Guess No One Is Familiar With The Ohio River Oxbows.....oh Well! Thought I'd Try! :d

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RICHYD4U View Post
    I Read An Article In Kentucky Game & Fish (since It's All I Have To Do With This Freezing Weather!) About Fishin The Ohio River's Oxbows For Crappies. Sounded Like It Can Be Really Good. It Talked About A Large Oxbow Just Below The Medahl Pool That Was Supposed To Be Really Good. Has Anyone Had Any Experience With This? Just Curious.....
    Hey Rich try this rig. I do well year round for crappies around wood. Fly rod, ultra lite closed face spinning reel, 6 lb mono, small bobber, BB split shot sinker, and a small spinner with a piece of pork attached about 3/4 inch long 3/16 wide in your favorite color. It's nothing more than a barrel swivel with a snap ring on one end, a light wire hook, and a zero size blade. Just jig it around wood. Hold on.

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...ppieRig002.jpg

http://s204.photobucket.com/albums/b...ppieRig001.jpg
    Last edited by F16ENGMGR; 01-22-2008 at 10:52 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Don't know about what it is exactly yer lookin fer. But if you go up into most of the creeks down towards Derby, Cannelton, IN. area. The creeks have what I call big lake like areas in them for fishin. Small creek about 10 feet across might open up into a small lake like area for fishing. Study the Ohio River maps and look at the creeks after you go back up into them a ways.... If this ain't what yer looking for then my bad...... But I have seen a lot of Crappie fishermen up in these open area's...

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Crappie Fishin Ohio River Oxbows

Quote Originally Posted by MsgMills View Post
    Don't know about what it is exactly yer lookin fer. But if you go up into most of the creeks down towards Derby, Cannelton, IN. area. The creeks have what I call big lake like areas in them for fishin. Small creek about 10 feet across might open up into a small lake like area for fishing. Study the Ohio River maps and look at the creeks after you go back up into them a ways.... If this ain't what yer looking for then my bad...... But I have seen a lot of Crappie fishermen up in these open area's...
    THAT'S EXACTLY WHAT I MEANT....THEY SAY THERE ARE THOSE SMALL LAKE LIKE AREAS (OXBOWS) THAT OCCUR EVERY SPRING ON THE OHIO. A REALLY BIG ONE IS SUPPOSED TO HAPPEN JUST BELOW MEDAHL LOCK....I DEFENITELY NEED TO GET A MAP, I'M SURE IT'D BE ON IT.....THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE!

Post Thanks / Like

You may want to look at this to help you get an idea. It's the Meldahl Dam. Just navigate where you want to look. Hope it helps.

http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?cx=752020.480468689&cy=4302906.20645768&p roj=32616&mpp=7.5&pic=-1&prov=-1&stac=-1&styp=AD

Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Crappie Fishin Ohio River Oxbows

Quote Originally Posted by F16ENGMGR View Post
    You may want to look at this to help you get an idea. It's the Meldahl Dam. Just navigate where you want to look. Hope it helps.

http://www.terraserver.com/view.asp?...tac=-1&styp=AD
    THANKS FOR THE HELP....WORKED NICELY!