Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fishing show

Post Thanks / Like

Question Fishing show

I saw UMF College the other day and couldn't believe what I was watching! Could someone tell me what truly happened that day? I know how TV editing can change the true experience, but this was outrageous!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing show

I haven't seen the episode your talking about yet. I got it recorded but not watched it yet.....

Post Thanks / Like

I saw it and think Scott should chime in here and say if it was editing or what. Would like to know if he is proud of how it was perceived.

Post Thanks / Like

What are you all talking about? I did not see the show.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    What are you all talking about? I did not see the show.
    I think that they are talking about where the UofL representative was using the opposition's rod and then when called on it, grabbed the line, tripped the bail and tossed the rod in the drink. Either he, me or both woulda got wet and likely bloody after that stunt. I would rather think that this was a made for TV moment.
    That crap aint fishing as far as I'm concerned.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey, no need to hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I didn't see the show and I don't know of whom you are speaking, but I must say your rant was very well written. I think I would have chuckled when that smallie broke off too.

Cheers!!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by birdstrike View Post
    Hey, no need to hold back, tell us how you really feel.

I didn't see the show and I don't know of whom you are speaking, but I must say your rant was very well written. I think I would have chuckled when that smallie broke off too.

Cheers!!
    I saw the show and was embarrassed to be from the same state as the Louisville fisherman. He should have been disqualified immediately and banned from the sport.

Post Thanks / Like

The night before the match, the UMF producer called a meeting to discuss what had been going on with the first two matches. Joe Thomas and Jim Kramer were very upset in the lack of communication between the anglers, and how boring the first two matches had been. They said that this is not just about fishing, but entertainment as well. They had brought us up there to help them make a show...keyword being "show." They asked for us to interact more, do some pranks, mess with one another, and try to have some fun out there. So Steve and I agreed to do just that...only thing is that Steve didn't do anything! When I sneaked his rod away from him, and later tossed it in the water like something Fish Fishbourne would do, I fully expected the same in return! Since he didn't do any pranks, or even say anything at all, except a little slam against me, it made me look like a real arse. It's kind of funny how when the show is produced, it can be edited to make me look like the bad guy...which I wasn't trying to be at all! I was simply doing what we had agreed to. UMF got what they wanted, and I guess I was stupid enough to try and help them out. I guess they got the "buzz" they needed, opening the door for you guys, and the rest of the fishing world, to dump on me. I was in no way trying to be disrespectful or give my school, or any association a bad rep. It was just some harmless pranking with a guy that didn't know how to react, or play the game. Yes, I am a fierce competitor when it comes to fishing, but at the same time I like to have a little fun out there...because to me, that's what fishing is all about!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bstrick View Post
    I saw the show and was embarrassed to be from the same state as the Louisville fisherman. He should have been disqualified immediately and banned from the sport.
    I am sorry that you feel that way, and I apologize for letting you down. It is a television show, and not just two guys out fishing...two guys out fishing doesn't draw ratings and allow the show to be taped again next year. UMF encourages pranks and outrageous behavior, and I complied as I do with anyone who asks me to do something. Had Illinois done what UMF had asked, then I wouldn't have looked near as bad.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by artcarney_agr View Post
    I am sorry that you feel that way, and I apologize for letting you down. It is a television show, and not just two guys out fishing...two guys out fishing doesn't draw ratings and allow the show to be taped again next year. UMF encourages pranks and outrageous behavior, and I complied as I do with anyone who asks me to do something. Had Illinois done what UMF had asked, then I wouldn't have looked near as bad.
    Dude,
    I never saw the show but I have learned over the last 10 years or so that Bass Fishing shows are entertainment. There are no traditional guidelines, old school rules or any sacred lines you don't cross when it comes to entertainment, tournament fishing shows are no different.
    I believe what you said about the producers wanting more and it goes along with my belief about that show....it's entertainment! That's all.... so people should understand that and get off this guy's case. Hope you had fun being filmed!

Post Thanks / Like

Scott, i wouldnt worry about it at all. I saw the first two shows, and they wasnt worth watching. I can see why they asked you guys to goof on each other, at least your show was worth the time to watch. Tough luck on losing that fish. The other guy just didnt want to play the producers game, so it made you look like the bad guy, when you were doing just what they asked.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been waiting on Scott to chime in here before putting my 2 cents worth in on this subject. I can honestly say that I have no doubt that what Scott has said is true.

About 3 years ago when I was doing seminars at the Indy Show with Joe Thomas the UMF show series was in the final planning stages. I talked one on one with Joe about the new show and was privvy to a couple of meetings between Joe and others associated with this new show as they were using my break area for thier meetings. Basically, from my talking with Joe and Mark Randolph and from the conversations that I was privvy to indicated to me that the format for this new show (to include rules...etc..) was being planned to promote not only some friendly one on one competition between some well known pro's but also some controversial antics as competitors tried to best one another by trying to use the rules and antics to best one another. I remember Joe telling me that his vision of the show basically was to expect the unexpected and that he was excited to see what all these folks would do to use the rules incorporated and not incorporated into the matches that would be entertaining.

It is obvious to me that this match as well as some of the other controversial matches that this show has produced has met the expectations of the folks that planned this TV series. The only problem I see with the format of the show is that some of the folks that watch these shows are taking them too seriously as have some of the participants.

For the record: I have never met Scott, and other than reading his posts on this and other forums have not been associated with him. I do however remember when he founded the UL fishing team and personally remember taking note of the things I read about his successful efforts to get sponsors for the UL team and raise funds so that the team could participate in the college fishing arena. I can tell you what I read as I followed the building of the UL team impressed me. Like I said before, I have never met Scott that I can remember, I have seen his postings here and other sites and not always agreed with him but then again I am sure some folks don't agree with some of my posts either...as some will probably not agree with this post...but I do think Scott did exactly what he was asked to do...did he go too far..maybe...did Luke Clausen go to far.....maybe....if you asked most of the viewers the answer you would get is obviously..yes, but if you asked the folks making money off the show, probably no.