Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

family vacation to FLA

It's time to break down and take the family to Disney,AAGGHH!! My son and I (24 years old) are wanting to get away from the girls for just 1 day for a Florida fishing trip. I would love to fish Toho. Does anyone have any suggestions on a guide. We'll mostly bass fish. I'm forced to go the first week in June. What are the largemouth doing in FLA at this time. I'm from Indiana and I'll be missing some of our best fishing. A little help would be greatly appreciated.

jollyroger

Post Thanks / Like

Re: family vacation to FLA

Have you fished Toho before? I grew up in that area so I can tell you it's still fun at that time of the year. Take a flippin stick if you can. Good Luck on the guide and enoy that Disney crowd!!!

Post Thanks / Like

No, I've never fished Toho, or FLA. I've been to south FLA several times to visit relatives but now it's my turn to do a little something extra. Got the flippin' stick and 30lb Fireline I just don't know what to expect when I get there.

Post Thanks / Like

You can rent Jon boats (at least you could years ago) at Toho Marina which is right next to the main ramp for West Lake Toho.... downtown Kissimmee. That side of the lake is where alot of big Bassmaster tournies have been won over the recent years. If you can get a boat get out early and throw your favorite topwater in and around the weeds/pads and watch for hydrilla that is a foot or two below the surface (usually a sweet spot). I love to throw Zoom Horny Toads (white or watermelon seed) and Zoom Super Flukes in the same color around the weeds/pads. Once the sun gets up I start flippin the heavy weeds and mats (hard to say what it looks like right now). You will be fishing in 7ft of water or less most of the time even as little as 2ft. Watch for anything moving in the weeds and cast those soft plastics. I hope this helps some...If you have ever fished a weedy lake you should feel at home.
    Oh yeah....
    Firetiger shallow running crankbaits and chrome blue rattletraps were always good to us around the mouth of the Shingle Creek and Goblits Cove.

Post Thanks / Like

Yes it helps tremendously! It is my belief that bass are bass no matter how long ago you have fished a lake (unless the lake itself has changed.) And I love to fish a Super Fluke, it's my lure of choice almost all year long.
    Thanks again.
    jollyroger

Post Thanks / Like

DJD - I will be in Orlando hopefully fishing on 2/18 or 2/19. I may check Toho out.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by publican57 View Post
    DJD - I will be in Orlando hopefully fishing on 2/18 or 2/19. I may check Toho out.
    Oh man, with the full moon on the 20th you should be in for some serious action! If I was going I promise you I would have my 7ft Heavy Loomis rod with 65# braid and a big ole' 5/0 hook throwing watermelon Zoom Super Flukes and Zoom Horny Toads...that has always been action city for us!! If you a bed fisherman you shouls be in heaven of course the weather needs to cooperate! Good Luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't have a Loomis; but will get some watermelon super flukes; I usually fish with pearl color. I will let you both know how I do. Good luck to you jollyroger.

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you publican57. I'd rather be fishing FLA in Feb. than in June but I'll do anything to get away from Mickey & Minnie. Just to see something different and be on the water!!! Good luck to you.
    jollyroger

Post Thanks / Like

How did you guy's do in Fla?