Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Angry Rod_Reel Iced Over!

Here's a question for the group, " How do you prevent ice build up on your rod guides and reel during freezing weather?". Note, staying home doesn't count...He...He.

I have read of putting vaseling or chapstick (vaseline lip balm), Pam cooking spray and Stanley Ice Off paste (what ever that is) on the guides, but have never tried any of them and don't know how effective they would be. Have also read an article which suggested coating your line with silicon to prevent build up. Any comments, suggestions, additions on these.

Thanks and Good Fishing,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rod_Reel Iced Over!

I have not tried it yet, but my son swears by reel magic spray.

Post Thanks / Like

I have done some Jan/Feb trout fishing and ice in the line guides was a real problem. We were getting ready to go out one day when it was about 20 deg. and I just happened to look over on my utility shelf where I had a small spray bottle of rain-x. I put that in my pocket and took it along. That actually worked really well I think because it doesn't allow the water to settle on the guides to start with. I also clean and wipe my rods after I get done to keep gunk and buildup from forming.

Then I noticed that my biggest problem was ice droplets forming on the line before it ever got to the guides, then they just all stack up at the tip and you still have a problem. Since then I've been liberally dousing the line on my spool in rain-x.

Now I have no idea if this is good for the line or not I thought maybe the scent of it might bother the fish but I haven't had any evidence of that, I've caught just as many using it as not. Basically what you need to try to do is keep the water from following up the line and then you have no probs. I change the line once or twice a season and I have a couple of rod and reels that I only use for icy conditions. God I can't wait for spring.

Post Thanks / Like

Just dip the rod down in the water to take the ice of the guides. I would try WD-40, it doesn't take anything fancy. WD-40 also is a cover scent and doesn't scare the fish. Don't forget the gloves!

Cookeville, Tennessee, God Bless America.
    Post Thanks / Like

Just guessing "Don't go ??????" ....tell us when you find out :-)

Post Thanks / Like

Real Magic does the trick and it doesnt hurt a thing!!!!!!!!!!!!