Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Ohio River_Alcoa Public Access Site Ramp

Just found out about this ramp and drove over this afternoon to see what it looked like. (Ramp is located just outside Yankeetown, Indiana on Little Pigeon Creek.)

Creek is up and water is muddy, so it was hard to evaluate the ramp. Looks like it would be OK to launch a john boat, but not sure if it can handle a 17 foot "V" bottom Lund?

Anyone have experience using this ramp? What do you think.

Also, how's the fishing in the creek?

Good Fishing,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ohio River_Alcoa Public Access Site Ramp

If that is the ramp that is right next to an old bridge, I have launched a 20' bassboat there several times with no problem.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ss View Post
    If that is the ramp that is right next to an old bridge, I have launched a 20' bassboat there several times with no problem.
    Ramp is located ~ 1 mile South of Yankeetown on "Yankeetown Road". There is a bridge across the creek at that point and the ramp is located on the right side of the road and is sign posted as being the "Alcoa Public Access Site".

Looks like it would be a safe and relatively easy place to launch and then motor out to the Ohio during those times when old man river's current is running flat out. I have launched out of Angel Mounds during heavy current and it can be a trick.

Gary

Post Thanks / Like

our local club hold bass tourneys out of that ramp in the summer. it can get dirty at time with carp bow shooters leaving dead ones around but safe ramp to lanch becareful when going to the river stay center and avoid stumps

Post Thanks / Like

Yea I have seen the IDNR launch their big Boat from that ramp. Be careful leaving your car parked there. It's an isloated spot and vandals have even attacked the IDNR boat trailers or vehicle that were parked there. That was early last summer or maybe it was the summer before last. I forget when it was exactly. Had a similar occurance up at Patoka Lake two years ago until they caught some illegals who were breaking into vehicles parked at the Patoka Lake Launch ramps.

Normally when I have driven down to this launch ramp there may be two or three cars and boat trailers parked there. I have never launched out of that ramp but I fished from the bank there a few times. Didn't catch nothing.

If you go upstream there is an old oxbow in the creek that may hold some fish when the waters up high. I think you have to go to the left to go upstream. That's your left as you stand on the ramp facing the water. To the right is the Ohio River. I hear is about a mile or less from the ramp to the Ohio River.

And I heard that you have to be careful for barges when you exit the creek mouth and enter the Ohio River. I was told that there is a lot of barge traffic in that area.

And those stumps are big old stumps. They line the side of the creek. Not sure how deep the middle of the creek is but I guess it's deep enough.

I bet that there are some big crappie holding in that creek at times. But I would not eat any of them out of the Little Pigeon Creek. It's too close to the Smoke Stacks at ALCOA/VECTREN. After 40+ years of mercury pollution coming out of those smoke stakes I'll bet that that area has it's fair share of mercury in the soil and or waters. And if it's in the soil it will wash into the creek and the fish will accumulate it over time into their flesh. It it were not for that they might be good to eat. But they still could be good to eat if you don't consume too many of them at one time. You body can rid itself of methylmercury over time. So I have read. I hope that's true as I have eaten a lot of fish in my days. LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by BASSIN11 View Post
    our local club hold bass tourneys out of that ramp in the summer. it can get dirty at time with carp bow shooters leaving dead ones around but safe ramp to lanch becareful when going to the river stay center and avoid stumps