Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Early March on Guntersville??

Some college buddies and i are going fishing on Guntersville on our spring break. We will be fishing Feb.29-March 3. We have never been to Guntersville, but hear its good. Were bringing 4 boats and 8 guys ready to slam sum bass. Any help or advice on baits, depths to fish, parts of the lake to fish, and what water temps to look for, would help greatly.

Thanks,
    College Boys that Like to Fish!

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Early March on Guntersville??

Man it would have been great if you said college girls that like to fish. I will be down there at that time also. I hope that the bass will be shallow. Rattle traps in the flats. Good luck and we will see you at the Docks for some beers... If you don't know about the Docks, you should. It is at the goose pond. Great food and cold beverages.

Post Thanks / Like

Give us a report when you return. I will be down March 20-24th. Would be interested in patterns, baits or techniques if you wouldn't mind sharing.We are also staying in Goose Pond area

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: Fishing Early March on Guntersville??

yes i would appreciate a report from all you guys when you get back . i'll be down there march 29th thru april 5th . we will be staying at ossa-wintha.

thanks ranger519

Post Thanks / Like

Last year the hot bait was XCalibur XR-50 in Royal Shad color. It's a Rat-L-Trap type bait ... on steroids. It's a great search bait and will catch lots of fish too. Bass tend to school up according to size that time of year, so if you catch one over 4 lbs, you should slow down and fish the area thoroughly. I like a change of pace with a jig 'n pig .... especially for quality bites. A Lucky Craft pointer or flash minnow fished with long pauses between jerks and pops will get the rod snatched from your hand when they are in the right mood. I like the Chartreuse Shad color in the Lucky Craft baits. Keep the trolling motor on and an eye on the temperature guage/depthfinder until you find fish. Then slow down the boat and your presentation. I start looking for fish in 7-9 feet of water if a cold front hasn't pushed them deep, and work toward shallower water until I find them. I generally fish from Waterfront Grocery to the north because the shallower part of the lake warms up quicker than the lower end during February and March. South Sauty, North Sauty, and Roseberry Creeks are my favorites, but many good fish are caught north of the BB Comer Bridge in Scottsboro too. Remember to practice CPR (catch, photograph, release) on the big girls so they can ensure the future of the quality fishery on the big G. I hope everyone gets their "string stretched".

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate all the tips on baits, and what parts of the lake to fish. What depths are the fish generally at this time of year (feb. 29-march 3)? I figured they would start coming shallow, but not real shallow. Im not sure if is should try to fish ledges, island points, or just flip jigs and throw traps in shallow structure/grass.

Post Thanks / Like

I would like to see some fishing reports also. I'm planning on be there March 25-28. I will let you know how we do.

Post Thanks / Like

It all depends on the weather between now and then. A big cold front can change everything overnight. Ask me again just before your trip and I'll know what the current water temps are ... and can give you some better advise. If the water is warmer in 1-2 feet of water ... that's where they'll be. You've gotta watch your temp guage when fishing the big G in the spring !!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks man! I know the fish are still pretty deep right now. We went out today on Percy Priest Lake in Tn, and threw about everything in the tackle box at em and could get a bite. But a few days of warm weather will prolly bring them a lil shallower.