Search Fishin.com

Thread: Tough Day

Post Thanks / Like

Tough Day

man i just got back from the toughest day of fishing ive ever had.We were going to cumberland but then decided to just go on down the road to dale since my buddy had never been there...so we got there around 9 and fished till bout 30minutes before dark and never put a fish in the boat.What i didnt realize before i got there is that they had dropped the water and i had no idea were to go since this had happened.But we fished from areas around star point and areas up in wolf and only had 3 mayvbe bites on jigs and shaky heads.Man it was tough,other people had said they had some luck on fnf but im just not an fnf guy so i wouldnt throwin it.By the way water temp went from 41-44 degrees

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tough Day

Don't feel bad. Myself, my father, and a friend went in late december and didn't put a fish in the boat either. It rained on us hard all day, and we made a 3 1/2 hour trip to get there.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bereabasser View Post
    man i just got back from the toughest day of fishing ive ever had.We were going to cumberland but then decided to just go on down the road to dale since my buddy had never been there...so we got there around 9 and fished till bout 30minutes before dark and never put a fish in the boat.What i didnt realize before i got there is that they had dropped the water and i had no idea were to go since this had happened.But we fished from areas around star point and areas up in wolf and only had 3 mayvbe bites on jigs and shaky heads.Man it was tough,other people had said they had some luck on fnf but im just not an fnf guy so i wouldnt throwin it.By the way water temp went from 41-44 degrees
    weather is too cold to fish all day without a fish this time of year,i would rig a fnf or take some big live minnows..i learned a long time ago pride will freeze you to death in winter..now i do whatever it takes to get a bite..

Post Thanks / Like

everyone always tells me to try it but what i dont get is if the fish are holding 30ft deep thens theres no other option than a jig

Post Thanks / Like

Don't feel bad, I fished Cumberland from 10.30 to 4.00 and only had Two 16" smallies. No other bites.

Post Thanks / Like

I went to barren put in at the narrows, and had to plow through a bunch of ice to get out of the marina. You couldn't go any further up I went out around the island at the narrows to go toward state dock and it was going to be too much trouble as it was iced over all the way across the lake by the water tower. Decided to go back and take out. Warmest water was 35. Lowest was 31.8 on my temp gauge. That's cold. I did see a couple of other idiots out there.

Post Thanks / Like

wow...now im really glad we didnt go to barren

Post Thanks / Like

i almost cant stand it any more im wantin to go this weekend goin to rough dont think it will be froze

Post Thanks / Like

I was at Cumberland Sat and Mon. Had 4 keepers Sat with 12 fish total. Today.....Mon. your not gonna believe me if I told you. I had one largemouth over 6, another 5+, and a 2.5 pounder. Had one smallie over 4 and 5 big fat KY's. Caught 15 fish total with a 4 pound white perch thrown in there.....ALL came on...guess what....FNF!! My partner did catch one fish Sat (16 in smallie) on shiner, rest were on FNF..My partner never thought you could catch 'em like this but he's a believer now. He even fished a jig, jerkbait, and a shakey head where I was catchin' them and never took a bite. These fish were SHALLOW....not over 10-12 feet. Talked to several guys at the ramp Sat and today and they weren't doing much good. They are HOT, HOT, HOT on the fly. I'm heading back Thurs and will report.
    See ya on the water,
    Tim
    bassmaster

Post Thanks / Like

what areas are you catching them at on cland

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bereabasser View Post
    everyone always tells me to try it but what i dont get is if the fish are holding 30ft deep thens theres no other option than a jig
    the float and fly gives them time to come get it,and they will.As far as minnows when you mark them at the particular depth drop down to just above them and slowly drift with a low trolling setting.if you use multiple rods have them in holders or you'll lose one.i use basic c-rig setup with 10lb big game and 1/4 oz worm sinker 30" leader,there may be better set ups but i usually can get some fish with this,even a walleye once in a while.

Post Thanks / Like

You probably don't want to hear this but some friends from the bbc had a small mini rally on Dale Saturday and they caught a lot of fish. Between 7 boats they had 5 over the slot and from their report...lots of slot fish. Big fish was a LM at 6lb 10 oz. Peanut head jigs seemed to be the ticket from what I read.

Here is a link to pics and info:
    http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=248153

Here is a link to pics and info from two guys that stayed over and fished on Sunday...their big fish was a 6lb 13 oz LM but had some nice Smallies too:

http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=248474
    Last edited by Dave Stewart; 01-29-2008 at 05:15 AM.