Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Affects of Current

Currents may be produced by generation or by precipitation. Currents breaths life back into the lakes, rivers and streams we fish. If we can understand how currents affect fish, we may better understand where to look for fish and what techniques to use when current conditions change.

Currents rejuvenates reservoirs, rivers and streams by flushing them with fresh cool or warm water, which adds oxygen and nutrients into the water system. Currents stir up plankton and algae which stimulate baitfish and predator activity. Currents may be light, moderate or heavy, and fish relate to each in different ways. Fish become predictable in changing current. If the flow is light, they may suspend in the current. If the current is moderate or heavy, they may move behind objects on the bottom or near objects close to the shore. One of the favorite places fish seek shelter are eddies. They may also suspend in current breaks on the current down-side of a ledge or sand bar, especially if there are stumps, rocks or brush. In large rivers, fish can suspend in current breaks for long periods and feed facing upstream to snare baitfish coming with the flow. The back side of humps and islands are also great holding places during currents. Currents are not always the same at all levels in a body of water. Water tends to slow down along the bottom and on the surface dure to air and material friction allowing pockets of relief for fish.

As generation starts or right after a rain, fish respond to increased movement in the water by becoming more active. The bite tends to be best during the first hour, because during this time, the food source for baitfish is disturbed allowing feeding to take place with least amount of effort. Fish will continue to feed after the current subsides, but they will move off the bottom and away from cover and suspend in the water column, usually just above the thermocline because this is where the baitfish will be found. Baitfish will always dictate the location and level of activity of feeding fish. Baitfish may be moved by currents or by wind action. During increased current conditions, fish may also be caught in weedbeds adjacent to channel currents.

Some techniques used during increased current periods are vertical jigging, crankbaiting, spinnerbaiting and jig-pig. Maye some of you can add your own thoughts when fishing current conditions. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Wink Re: Affects of Current

Thanks for the comments. Have to believe current is a major factor. Just need to learn more and put it into practice on the river.

Thanks and Good Fishing,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Affects of Current

On one of my trips with Dave Stewart he taught me the "Life Cycle of Shad", which is worth the price of the trip alone by the way. Part of the lesson was when he was teaching me about ledge fishing and he said the plankton and photoplankton was on the bottom, the shad are sitting around the plankton, the fish are sitting around the shad. The shad are looking over their shoulders to see when the fish are going to feed constantly. When they pull current thru the dam it pretty much moves down the ledges, creek channels and river channels like highways and roads, which stirs up the plankton, which stirs the shad to feed on the plankton, which stirs the fish to feed on the shad. Sure makes sense to me and I was too stupid to understand it until he told me. Now when you guys book your trips with Dave tell them that Elnut sent you and you want the "Life Cycle of Shad" to be taught to you as you haul in those 6 pounders both Brown and Green. I can't tell you how much of a better fisherman or catcherman sometimes since I took those trips with Dave. I wrote the "Life Cycle of Shad" up and sent it to several people that loved it and with them and my son, the legacy of Dave Stewarts teachings will continue on for years to come. By the way Dave there is no charge for any referrals you get from this for I have caught more fish than I ever would otherwise. Hope this helps you book as many days as you want, but you did not need any help in the first place. Talk to you soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Affects of Current

Thanks for the kind words Elwood. Only thing I see you forgot was adding in the part about the current also oxygenating the water also in the summer time which in turn activates the fish also. Thanks for not charging me for any referrals...lol. I won't charge you for writing up my teachings that I charge for and passing them out...lol. Just kidding of course. By the way, I know you call that class the Life Cycle of Shad but just so folks that call me know, I call the class "How to Eliminate Water". For those that are wondering....I teach a class on how to eliminate about 80% of the body of water you are fishing at any given time during the year while you are preplanning the trip. I do this by teaching you about what the shad are doing on the water during the different times of the year and how they react to weather/temp changes. I have been teaching this class as part of some of my guide trips for a few years now and it has gotten very popular. If you are planning a trip with me, I would be happy to give you the class...it takes about 2 hours out of your time on the water but I have yet to have anyone say it was not worth it. Of course the class is not a mandatory part of my guide trips...I only teach it as a part of my lake familiarization trips or learning to fish ledges trips unless you ask for the class.
    Elwood: I am going to IM you in a little while..we need to set up that trip for later this spring before I run out of dates.