Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fishing Partner

Post Thanks / Like

Fishing Partner

Alright everybody I need some good info on this one.

How much is a fishing partner expected to pay for a 1 day fishing trip?

1/2 boat gas -- 1/2 truck gas -- 1/2 food

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Fishing Partner

it sorta depend on the circumstances i think.If i just call a buddy and ask if they want to go i don't feel they owe me anything,if they offer 20 then put in the boat.if you are tournament fishing regularly it would be different.I have the boat and the truck,so my partner pays a little more,set up by him.Now he has a boat so if i take mine i put gas in if we use his he puts gas in,we split the truck and entry.

Post Thanks / Like

Depends. If you have no say in where you are fishing and no use of the front of the boat then zero. If you get to choose for half the day and you get the front of the boat that half day then 1/2 the boat gas. If a club tourney,what ever the club rules state. If a friend, whatever the two of you decide. If I am going for a day and invite someone, I don't expect any money as I was going anyways with or without a friend.

Post Thanks / Like

If in tourney fishing and your talking about a coangler then I'd say a minimum of $40 with today's gas prices. If your talking about a buddy tourney then I'd say half the entry and and $40 for gas. I usually split all costs with buddy in team tourneys, or he will pay the entry fee and I cover the gas.

If I ask a guy to just go out fishing, nothing.

Charlie

Post Thanks / Like

1/2 of all you use and you aren't going to run the trolling motor unless I am taking a break. If we take my truck and both ride in it, 1/2 the truck gas. If we are in a tournament, 1/2 the entry (and we evenly split any winnings). 1/2 the boat gas unless you wanna swim from spot to spot.

When I fish with someone in my boat, I am always open to any suggestion on where to fish or how to fish. I also always cast in front of the boat so my bait is back to the boat before it is even with me. I also attempt to leave plenty of untouched spots for the back guy to hit. My front deck is kinda small so it is challenging to both fish the front.

Post Thanks / Like

last year i had a good deal where my buddy would supply the tow vehicle and i would supply the boat, split the entry fee and pay for own food, but a lot of the times that is not the case

if i invite someone to fish with me(using my truck and boat), all i ask is half of the entry fee(tournaments) and nothing just to go for fun, if i am debating to fish or not, i normally go if my partner pays for half...

honesty guys, money is not worth fighting over, if you are planning to go, i don't ask for money, if i am offered money and the boat needs gas, i will accept... i have seen too many guys fight over $20, a good fishing partner is worth way more than that... best policy is to do what is "right" - if you go with someone, offer them some money, if you take someone, don't ask, but don't feel guilty to accept

Post Thanks / Like

I follow the golden rule - give what I would like to recieve if the situation was reversed. If I am fishing a draw tournament - and I have no say in where we will be fishing, I usually offer $30 or more - I try to think of it as, this person would probably go here and fish with or without me.

In buddy tournaments and fishing for fun, I always offer to split the expenses of what you used that day. I would hold off until the end of the trip. I have split a full boat tank of gas with someone prior to going out, and only traveled about 10-15 miles in the boat - that was not good.

Post Thanks / Like

Good question.............A GOOD partner will pony up 1/2 the costs for EVERYTHING, and sometimes they will bring the food. If I own the boat, I have LOTS of costs that are not included in a fishing trip......costs like storage, maintenance, insurance, etc, etc.

Lets face it..........a 2 day trip from Louisville to Dale can cost a couple hundred bucks........and if your'e not splitting the costs, then you cannot go NEARLY as much........unless you're Bill Gates, and money is no object.

I can tell you now, I've cut back.......mostly because my regular partners have cut back......I used to go MUCH more.......but with gas double, nearly triple what it was 5-6 years ago..........It is much tougher to hook the boat up and spend a day on the water.

Later,

Geo

Post Thanks / Like

Great topic, I feel the way most do, fishing has gotten more expensive, I not to long ago was a "coangler" , so i kinda know both sides. Our club the coanglers usually split the gas (truck and boat), i'm not sure its the rule but it seems to work. I expect a donation if i'm in a tournament, but if I decide to practice or just go for a day, I'm going and if a buddy or my partner wants to go...cool. But I expect nothing, if they want to donate kewl, if not no heart ache.

good topic

Good fishin all....its cold be careful

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by GeoFisher View Post
    Good question.............A GOOD partner will pony up 1/2 the costs for EVERYTHING, and sometimes they will bring the food. If I own the boat, I have LOTS of costs that are not included in a fishing trip......costs like storage, maintenance, insurance, etc, etc.

Lets face it..........a 2 day trip from Louisville to Dale can cost a couple hundred bucks........and if your'e not splitting the costs, then you cannot go NEARLY as much........unless you're Bill Gates, and money is no object.

I can tell you now, I've cut back.......mostly because my regular partners have cut back......I used to go MUCH more.......but with gas double, nearly triple what it was 5-6 years ago..........It is much tougher to hook the boat up and spend a day on the water.

Later,

Geo
    i hear guys mention this thought all time but my question is this,how does the fact i own the boat and have those expenses bear on the guy fishing with me?i'd have them if i fished alone because i'd still have the boat they didn't make me buy it to fish with them.usually if who i fished with had a truck to pull i'd let them pull and pay gas and i'd supply boat and gas and split entry,food for me i buy i gotta eat anyway and if i have something you want to eat go on and eat as long as i'm not hungry.Long trips require a different split usually 50\50for lodging and all.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Fishing Partner

Nice thread and great topic. From my perspective, I agree with Col Forbin "follow the golden rule".

As for me, i'm not into tournament fishing (great for those that are, just not my cup of tea), just like to spend some time on the water trying to outsmart those fishes. Never in a big rush, never felt the need to "gun and run" trying to find the next fish. Ok for others, just not my style. So, given that, if I have an open seat, and they bring lunch, pay half of the boat gas, and assist with launching and retriving the boat, thats great.

Always nice to have another likeminded fisherman in the boat.

Good Fishing to All,
    Gary

Post Thanks / Like

I also agree with the "golden rule" principle, but would add that it can depend somewhat on who asks who. Like if I'm wanting to go and need a partner, and I know my buddy's a little short on cash, I'll offer to take him and tell him not to worry about it. But if he's just hit a lick at the track and is dying to go, he might call me and offer to sponsor a trip. It all evens out in the end.