Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Lowrance vs. Hummingbird

I'm shopping a GPS sonar unit. It has come down to Hummingbird 787c2i vs. Lowrance LMS-522c. Looking at a demo of each with the Navionics chip, Hummingbird is the favorite right now. I have no experience with Hummingbird and have only owned basic Lowrance graphs. I need some insight.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Lowrance vs. Hummingbird

Don't know alot about hummingbirds, but that lowrance unit is hard to beat. Great GPS, great sonar - easy to use.

Post Thanks / Like

That would be a no brainier for me if I had the money for either unit.

We are comparing a bicycle to a Porsche in my opinion.

Three dimensional side scanning technology vs the 2d unit. Give me the side scanning unit hands down.

Look at the Pro's and see what they have to say about side scanning sonar technology.

Or better yet let me tell you that you can see much more of the bottom using side scanning and pinpoint any structure while moving slowly around the lake. The ability to mark spots on the bottom with a GPS waypoint is what makes the side scanning so valuable.

The 2d unit will have to be right over the top of a brush pile to located it. While the 3d side scanning unit could be 240ft off to the right or left of that brush pile and still be able to see it and mark it's location within 3 meters. It would take 20 to 30 more passes with the 2D unit to cover and see the same amount of lake bottom

Humminbird has the technology advantage today. Tomorrow Lowrance may come out with something new but right now the advantage is in Humminbird's corner.

Quote Originally Posted by drew238 View Post
    I'm shopping a GPS sonar unit. It has come down to Hummingbird 787c2i vs. Lowrance LMS-522c. Looking at a demo of each with the Navionics chip, Hummingbird is the favorite right now. I have no experience with Hummingbird and have only owned basic Lowrance graphs. I need some insight.

Post Thanks / Like

i have been fortunate and have been able to purchase the 997c and a 917c humminbird units, no doubt humminbird's best sonar yet (not sidescan, regular 2d sonar).... i honestly think lowrance has the upper hand on sonar, but obviously not on sidescan, if and when lowrance comes out with sidescan, that will be the unit to have

i have been impressed with my 2 units though i have already sent both of them back due to malfunction, but humminbird was easy to work with and got everything right (finally) without additional costs to me

again, if you are going 2d, get a lowrance, other wise expect a wait for a sidescan unit

Post Thanks / Like

I agree. The 787 does not have the side scan - if you are dead set on one of the two you listed get the lowrance. Personally, I would save another 300 to get one with the side scan. That's easy for me to say, I'm not the one spending the money. I am happy with the LMS gps/sonar, but would love that sidescan of the 797.

Post Thanks / Like

I had a lowrance black & white 2003 unit on my trolling motor; I forget what model it was. Any way I tried to send it in to Lowrancefor repairs but was told they no longer had parts. I went to BPS and looked at buying another Lowrance with GPS and color similar to what is on my console. They told me Lowrance will not be coming out with side scanning for a while because of patent laws. They said Lowrance technology hasn't changed in 4 years and convinced me to go with humminbird. I got the 787ci2 because side scanning dosen't work well on the trolling motor. I 've only had it in the water once, last weekend so it's had to say which is better. I always thought Lowrance was it when it came to electronics but not according to BPS.

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Lowrance vs. Hummingbird

I have the Matrix 97 made by Hummingbird and love it!!! Great unit with lots of features.

Post Thanks / Like

I have the 787 and I would recommend it highly to anyone. It's easy to use and the graphs are very nice. I can't compare it to the Lowrance because I've not used it but I had this same choice as well with these two. They were the same price and all the store folks I talked to at several locations recommended the humminbird for what that's worth. I highly recommend the navionics maps as well. I'm truly satisified with the whole deal.