Search Fishin.com

Thread: Drift sock

Post Thanks / Like

Drift sock

Going to be heading down to KY Lake this spring to crappie fish and I am thinking about purchasing a drift sock. I have never used one before or have never been in a boat in which one was being used. Would this be a good purchase or just a waste of money?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Drift sock

On a different board - I was reading where some guys really liked them in their alluminum boats. When I first moved to Ky lake area - I really put some thought into getting one for my tracker. Check out BBC (it is alot less about fishing and more about boating) and see if you can find some posts relating to it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MSD View Post
    Going to be heading down to KY Lake this spring to crappie fish and I am thinking about purchasing a drift sock. I have never used one before or have never been in a boat in which one was being used. Would this be a good purchase or just a waste of money?
    A cheaper alternative is to make a couple out of 3-5 gallon buckets.

Materials: 3-5 gallon plastic bucket, 10' piece of 3/8"-1/2" plastic rope (such as ski rope), heavy duty swivel (any hardware store), some type of quick snap or clip (optional),

Remove the bucket handle.
    Drill out the handle holes to allow rope to pass thru
    Cut a 3' piece of rope and add swivel so it slides freely.
    Slide rope thru holes in bucket from the inside (tag ends will be outside of bucket). Tie a couple of large knots to keep rope from pulling back thru holes.
    Tie remainder of rope to other end of swivel.
    Tie optional fastener to opposite end of rope for clipping onto cleat of boat. If no fastener used, tie a loop in tag end or just wrap tag end around boat cleat when in use.

Some people drill a hole(s) in the bottom of bucket to make it easier to pull in when full of water. However, this will decrease amount of drag to slow your drift as well.

This is not my design. I copied from a catfish website called hookedoncatfish.com. This guy uses it in the river to hold his boat straight in current. I use it when trolling in order to slow my boat down.

Good luck.

Joe

Post Thanks / Like

I have used a drift sock that I purchased from BPS. It works fairly well but most of the time when you need a drift sock because of the wind it is so windy that you need two of them. This will also help keep your boat more alignedwith the direction of travel.

Post Thanks / Like

I have used one quite a bit on Lake Erie. It really helps slow your drift for a slow/gentle Walleye bite. If your boat has a large profile, move up one size larger than the suggested size.

I have never used one to slow drift in current. Since the sock is drifting in the same current as the boat, I don't see how that would help much. If wind drift is the problem, they help a lot.

While the bucket idea seems like it would work, the fact that a sock will fold up to a small size and weighs very little makes it more attractive to me.

Post Thanks / Like

They work well when jigging or using shinners. I find most of the time people seem to purchase too small of a sock, and if you are fishing very windy days, you may need two socks. It sure does allow you to fish in the wind when otherwise, you could not be fishing those areas. One thing to remember is a disconnect float line is helpful if you catch a large fish and you are concern about the fish getting tangled in the sock line. If you have a disconnect line, you can let the sock go and come back after the sock once the fish is landed.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Min-Kota Drift sock but it's too small for my aluminum boat. I can't get my boat slowed down enough and the boat is never straight in line with the wind. It's always cocked sideways for some reason.

I just picked up a buoy and quick release system to use with the windsock. This will allow me to disconnect the windsock and the orange buoy will prevent it from sinking. Then I can fight any fish on the line and once the fish is onboard I can motor back upwind to pick up the buoy and sock.

I think I need another drift sock or a larger one.

I'll have to experiment attaching the line to different spots on my boat to see if I can get the boat to go straight in-line with the wind. I want to sit up front and fish but have the back of my boat facing straight into the wind. That way the wind will on my back and I'll stay warmer.

I hate floating down the lake with the boat sideways to the wind!

Also a large wide open lake helps. The lakes I fish are not that wide and by the time I get setup I am already being flown into the bank. That's not fun.

KY lake would be a perfect spot to use a drift sock.

One more note. Get a drift sock with a long line attached to it that will allow you to collapse the sock so that it's easier to pull back into the boat when you need it out of the water. Most modern wind socks should have this feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Bonefish View Post
    They work well when jigging or using shinners. I find most of the time people seem to purchase too small of a sock, and if you are fishing very windy days, you may need two socks. It sure does allow you to fish in the wind when otherwise, you could not be fishing those areas. One thing to remember is a disconnect float line is helpful if you catch a large fish and you are concern about the fish getting tangled in the sock line. If you have a disconnect line, you can let the sock go and come back after the sock once the fish is landed.

Post Thanks / Like

Moose, do you notice when your fishing buddies show up on the lake and come over to talk the air gets hotter and the wind a little stronger.

Post Thanks / Like

If the spots you want to fish are in the wind, its hard to fish properly without one. I got one from cabelas (their brand) and have used it several times while bass fishing. Good Luck