Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What tackle do you make

I like the spiral lock. They are cheep to make. The hood and spiral are less than a quarter to make. The lead and paint is also cheep. Ryan.

PS P&J also have some cheeper rods that are pretty good as well. The first one I built was a Rainshadow and I like it better than my Falcon Lowrider and it was $40.00 cheeper than the Falcon. Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: What tackle do you make

I have made some really fine looking Football Jigs with Black Bear hair and Bucktail hair in Blue & Black and Chart & Black which should be great at Nolin and Dale Hollow. I made some special Orange and Black for my Barren Trips this year..... So far I've made close to 200 jigs for either Bass or Crappie & Bluegill for the coming season..... Got plenty of supplies left to make more if I need to during the year. This new hobby is so addicting, but I like it......lol

Post Thanks / Like

I know how ya feel I have been making bullet head jigs all weekend for Cedar Creek. This warm weather got me to making some arkie's for flippin this spring. The 10 day forcast show's it getting back into the high 50s low 60s by middle of next week. Hopefully I'll get a chance to go.

Post Thanks / Like

I paint crankbaits on the side and make a few too. I am a rodbuilder. I have built around 20 rods to date. I tie my own bass jigs too.
    Bassky

Post Thanks / Like

I build my own rods and make my own tubes. I wrote an article on making tubes that has been published on about every fishing site out there, without my permission of course I have poured a ton of lead and about 5 tons of plastisol. It's a good thing I have not figured out how to make my own reels and line. I have built around 150-200 rods since I started.

Ray Rigby

Post Thanks / Like

i have just started making my own jigs and shakey heads. It is almost as addicting as fishing itself. I prefer the football shakey heads with spiral locks.

Post Thanks / Like

I've tied most of my own flies for several years. Trout nymphs, deer hair bass bugs, epoxy bonefish/permit flies, and tarpon streamers. I've tied gazillions of striper jigs which work well. Mold most of my lead sinkers, jig heads, etc. I would like to learn a little about rod making. Sounds like a good (and expensive) summer project.

Post Thanks / Like

JoeB,

Your first rod will be somewhat expensive cause you'll have to pick up a wrapper and several other tools to help you build the rod. After that, it gets cheaper. I've built a number of rods now. I don't think its any cheaper than buying a quality rod. The plus side is that you can build them to your own specs. I had trouble for a number of years finding a rod that was light, handled well, and put stand up to stripers. After finding the right blank a couple years back I've built several that fit my needs much better than anything I could buy off the shelf. Probably have less than $100 in each of those rods.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

i make my own sinkers.... catfishing is getting to be more expensive than bass fishing now days

Post Thanks / Like

I have a Pacific Bay Rod Smith, 2 Dryers, reamers, calipers, tip gauges,etc. for rod building have only made 3 but done quite a few guide replacements and for lure making I have round heads, football head, Poisontail, aspirin head, and a couple others I modified for wide gap hooks and spinnerbait and buzzbait molds a five pound melting pot , skirt maker for rubber band type but Ive been hand tying lately and using the bands for rattles , assorted powder paints, and clearcoats. Now Im thinking about trying pouring soft plastics Ive tried a few crankbaits but need a little more practice with the air brush (any painters have any tips on the best paint to use Brand and type ) most of what I made is for bassin but have started on a few striper projects

Post Thanks / Like

I generally use Createx and Golden paints in the airbrush. Iwata BPS eclipse. Its dual action so you get pretty good control with it. Just takes a little practice.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the paint tip I have been practicing with hobbie shops paint im getting better i have a Paasche gun and small comp. Ive been using to detail jigs and practicing on old c-baits ...