Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question What tackle do you make

Since we have a new forum up, figured it would be of interest to see what types of tackle folks make. I started with fly tying in the mid 70's. Soon took up pouring lead: jigs, spinner baits, etc. Started making wood plugs around 7 years ago. Latest addition is rod building. Currently building my 9th rod. Anymore, if I'm fishing I most likely using something that I made, or that was made by a friend. Just adds a little something to the day catching on your own stuff.

So what about other folks, what do you make?

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Re: What tackle do you make

I've started making Bass jigs and jigs that would be used by Musky fishermen. Also been making quite a few Crappie jigs and popeye jigs for bluegill fishing.......Haven't tried to make the FNF jigs yet, but will try soon...Seems like it is habit forming....The wife says that's all I want to do is tie jigs and see what kinds of different colors I can come up with...Going to be exciting to finally catch something on one of my own handmade jigs......

Post Thanks / Like

I know how you feel, My girlfriend says I am either fishing or making jigs. On the brighter sides women can make up some pretty good FNF jig color combos. They may be pretty or cute, but they catch brown fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I started off making ballhead jigs, and now I'm making some live bait jigs. They're pretty cool, shaped to slide through the rocks, with a short hook, and an eye for a stinger hook. Next I'm going to try tying some smaller jigs, including some FnF ones. And I'm also planning on making some spinner baits at some point. Just started a couple months ago, but I'm totally addicted!

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe I should look into tying some fnf jigs. I still have all of my fly tying equipment, but haven't touched it since I moved to western Ky. The bass here still like them fat jigs. I did hear Stephen Headrick talk up the FNF at the Strader Show, so now I am thinking it could work here on the big lakes.

But for now I am going to start off with pouring football head jigs, and making some skirts.

Post Thanks / Like

I started back this summer making my own jigs. I started with a Sparkie head, then a Football, Shakie and now a Poison tail jig. I also pour my own spinner baits and buzz baits.

The best place to buy molds is www.Barlowstackle.com and the best place to buy any thing else is P&J custom tackle.

Be carful it is an extremely addictive hobbie.

I have also built a few fishing rods which is a fun hobbie as well. Ryan.
    Last edited by zx150; 02-24-2008 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Needed to add a something.

Post Thanks / Like

I never looked at P & J. I will. I met him and I guess his wife at the strader show. He had some rods I was drooling over, but way out my price range. They were IM 10 blanks - made the Kislter rods seem heavy.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    I never looked at P & J. I will. I met him and I guess his wife at the strader show. He had some rods I was drooling over, but way out my price range. They were IM 10 blanks - made the Kislter rods seem heavy.
    I too stood over there and drooled over those rods, those were expensive but SWEET.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by zx150 View Post
    I started back this summer making my own jigs. I started with a Sparkie head, then a Football, Shakie and now a Poison tail jig. I also pour my own spinner baits and buzz baits.

The best place to buy molds is www.Barlowstackle.com and the best place to buy any thing else is P&J custom tackle.

Be carful it is an extremely addictive hobbie.

I have also built a few fishing rods which is a fun hobbie as well. Ryan.
    I know where I'm going to buy my molds from now on! The Do-It football jig mold I've been looking at is $45.50 at their own web site, $37.74 at Barlow's! All the others I checked were significantly cheaper there as well. I haven't checked the shipping costs, but they can't be THAT much more.

Post Thanks / Like

I make spinnerbaits with top of the line components. Been making thin wire last several years. I whooped up on my buddy with my homemade compared to his expensive storebought one year at Barkley. Thinking about increasing production and selling some to see how they do.

Post Thanks / Like

I have been thinking about pouring some shakey head jigs. I have been buying them from a local guy that makes them. I have never used them with the "spiral lock" which do it molds provide. How do you like them? Do you use the round head or stand up?

Post Thanks / Like

I love the spiral locks for shakey heads. It really keeps your worm in place. I prefer football heads for shakey head - I fish them in alot of rock though.