Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Powder paint/coat Jigs

I just wanted to get some info tips on this. I have looked at alot of jigs, this method seems to be best looking and durable. Any tips on painting with the weedguard on (my mold does not have pins - so the way it comes, I have to pour with the weedguard in). Would it be easier to modify the mold so that I can attach/glue in the weedguard after painting and curing? Weedguard or not - any tips for powder coating for a first timer? Thanks in advance for the help.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Powder paint/coat Jigs

I usually buy my jigs already pre-made, but sometimes spray paint them with spray paint then put a coat of epoxy cement on them to keep from chipping the paint off. Lately I been using fingernail polish I bought at the drug store to paint my jig heads. The colors look better to me and I still add the epoxy cement to keep from chipping. If I was going to repaint any of the jigs that come with a weed guard. I'd just put a piece of tape around the weed guard and paint the jig. After it dried I would then remove the tape.

Just my thoughts on the subject....

Post Thanks / Like

I have not really messed with weed guards on jigs. As far as powder painting, couple things you can do. It will take a little practice to get it down. You can make things easier by pouring the powder paint into a container with a larger mouth. Fluff the paint up after a few jigs and keep it from clumping together. You need to make sure the jig head is hot enough to accept the paint, but not to hot to burn it. I use a toaster oven set at 325 and a small cookie tray to keep the jigs warm between dips. Hang them on a rack to cool. You can set up a baking rack using a small bread loaf type tin. You'll use this to cure the jigs in the toaster oven.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I use a torch to heat the jig and use a metal hose adapter the size of the weed guard to heep them from melting. If i use basepins I cure the jigs in the oven hanging them on the rack and baking at 350 for 20 mins....The hose adapters came from lowes, a dollar or two i think..not too much but works well...just be careful the adapter will heat up as well...
    Vorbeck23

Post Thanks / Like

What type of metal tube is it that you used? Ryan.