Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question on a baitcaster?

I just received a Daiwa Procaster baitcaster for my b-day yesterday. I can cast it pretty good for never using one before. I am just wondering what something is on the side of it. It has numbers all the way up to 10. Its on like 8 or 9 right now and cast good, no birdnest or anything. When I lower the numbers the it birdnests like u wouldnt believe. I am casting it pretty hard to. Is this for changing between flipping and long cast, long cast higher number flipping lower numbers. Thanks for the info, feel kinda dumb asking this.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Question on a baitcaster?

Probably a magnetic clutch adjustment, supposed to help eliminate over runs.Some help, dont try to throw it out of the county, thats where problems start.Start using your thumb,and stopping the spool before the bait hits the water,we never had all these fancy adjustments years ago, and after some practise, you wont bird nest hardly at all.

Post Thanks / Like

The first thing you need to adjust is the cast control knob. This is the big knob on the other side (usually same side as handle). This is what you need to tinker with for different weight lures. It controls how fast line comes off of the spool. You want to be able to hold the rod up at a 45 angle, release the spool and the lure should fall to the ground, but when it hits the ground the line will stop coming off of the spool.

The dial is for fine tuning. It is a magnetic brake. The higher the number, the higher the pressure the brakes put on the spool. When you are throwing out a lure and it starts to peel off line and the spool spins quickly. without the brake - when the lure would slow down the spool would keep spinning just as fast and slow down at a slower rate than your lure - this is when a birdsnest happens - the spool is spinning faster and throwing out more line than is being traveled by your lure. You use the magnet to start braking the spool when the lure slows. If you put too much arm in it at firs it will also backlash pretty good too, they spool will start to spin much too quick. A smooth, steady cast will really help with this.

A good rule of thumb is to set the cast control knob to the right setting, then start tinkering with the magnetic brake (dial). Start off with a number you are not getting backlashes. (9 and 10) Then keep the same casting motion/speed and start reducing the number. Your cast length will increase with lower brake settings, but the likliehood of a backlash will also increase. It is all about finding a comfortable comprimise in settings and Practice until your arm hurts. Also I wouldn't start off with a baitcaster with Flourocarbon, it is a little harder to cast. I would use a cheaper mono in a medium strength. I would start off with around a 12# line - it is pretty manageable in that weight. A heavier lure is also easy to learn with too 3/8 to 1/2 ounce lures in a smaller size (less wind resistance) will also help you learn it a little better. Rattle Traps are good learning baits - you should be able to cast those a mile (they won't slow down much on the cast - helping control backlashes), and they catch fish. The idea is to get good enough with them so that you have to use little thumb as possible to control the spool - sometimes none at all.
    Last edited by Col Forbin; 02-25-2008 at 06:32 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks started messing round with it, cast real good. Put new line on it instead of the cheap stuff thatcomes with it and getting pretty good. Can cast 50 feet or so without backlash on a consitent basis. Well thanks again guys, going to try it on the water thursday.

Post Thanks / Like

When I started bait casting, before spinning, there was no spool dis engage. Now the only time I ever use those clutches is at night, when I bait cast, and its getting fewer and fewer, still use the thumb. I had a lot of left handed bait casters,which really makes sense, and loved them.When it came time to start clearing out some stuff, they went on the rollar coaster sale.Some guy came by and was looking at them, and gave him a price, he said they were wrong, asked him if he knew how to bait cast, he assured me he was good at it. So we had a demo, when he saw how practical it was bought three of them.At my age spinning is 90% of my casting, except for a trip to grl for musky fishing.