Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

How do I get started???

Alright if I wanted to start making my own jigs, what do I need to get the ball rolling. Ever since I started fishing with Andrew and seeing his homemade stuff I've kinda wanted to try it. Now all you guys have completely peaked my interest so tell me what to buy, is it expensive to get started?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How do I get started???

Easiest way for you to get started would be to stop by my place one weekend, use my molds/pots, and I'll walk you through it.

Palmer Hot pot II ~ $40, mold ~ $30, Hooks, cost depends on the size/make, powder paint ~ $4 for 2 oz, lead, depends on where you get it. You can pick up fly tying stuff to do hair jigs pretty cheap at a local fly tying place. If you are wanting rubber skirts, you can get pre-made, or make your own. Probably starting from scratch, about $100 would get you started. Biggest expense is getting the mold and pot, but those are reuseable. Also need to have an area that is well ventalated to pour the lead.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by apb View Post
    Easiest way for you to get started would be to stop by my place one weekend, use my molds/pots, and I'll walk you through it.

Palmer Hot pot II ~ $40, mold ~ $30, Hooks, cost depends on the size/make, powder paint ~ $4 for 2 oz, lead, depends on where you get it. You can pick up fly tying stuff to do hair jigs pretty cheap at a local fly tying place. If you are wanting rubber skirts, you can get pre-made, or make your own. Probably starting from scratch, about $100 would get you started. Biggest expense is getting the mold and pot, but those are reuseable. Also need to have an area that is well ventalated to pour the lead.

Andrew
    That sound like a plan, I'll be in charge of bringing the Bud Lights and whatever brand you'll be swigging, I forgot what you drink, dang I'm getting old, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Watch out Extremly Addictive, I started back in December doing FNF and now I have a bullet bass jig, Eatkin jig, Arky jig and thinking of getting a custom one made from Collins Custom Mold. I have also made some soft plastic molds out of plaster. But for anyone wanting to get started they should try, Janns Netcraft, Stamina Inc, Barlows Tackle, DO-it Molds. About $150 would get anyone plenty of supplies to get started and will be able to turn out plenty of baits.

Matt

Post Thanks / Like

Run before it consumes your life. Ryan

Post Thanks / Like

Don't listen to them Mark, you'll be able to quit anytime you want. Oh, wait, never mind, you have seen my house

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Alright if I wanted to start making my own jigs, what do I need to get the ball rolling. Ever since I started fishing with Andrew and seeing his homemade stuff I've kinda wanted to try it. Now all you guys have completely peaked my interest so tell me what to buy, is it expensive to get started?
    I pour my own jigs and paint them with powder paint using a toaster oven however I have found a tackle store that sells hand poured jigs in 50 and 100 count. I will buy these if I don't have a mold and then paint them and or tie them depending what they are. you might want' to buy some jigs and try your hand before buying pot and molds.

Also if you buy a mold I smoke the mold by holding it over a candle. Some one told me to do this does everyone smoke thier molds?

Post Thanks / Like

I smoke mine but I never can find a candle so I just do it with a cig lighter, I havent seen a diffrence. Anyone who does get itno this make sure you melt and mold in a well ventilated area. On warm days I pull my work bench outside and on cold days I open up the garage door. I try to mold a lot in one setting and then go in a paint and dress several lures. Also try to wash your hands and change cloths if possible to cut down on lead exposure.

Post Thanks / Like

What do you all mean by smoking your molds? What is the purpose of doing this? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

By smoking the mold we mean that you take a lit candle, hold it under the cavities of the mold and go back and forth to get soot covering on all of the mold cavities. Not real thick covering. Makes the lead flow a little easier, creates a cleaner jighead, and allows the jig to separate from the mold easier.

Andrew

Post Thanks / Like

I think smoking the mold helps it pour more complete. I am also trying to put a little vent in the mold to help push the air out so it will fill better.

Post Thanks / Like

I too had a problem with incomplete castings at first, especially on smaller jigs, so I started preheating my mold by setting it on top of the melting pot for a couple minutes, and that has taken care of it. I'm a total newbie to this, and maybe there's a good reason for "smoking" molds, but I think it's important to note that, on D-It molds anyway, doing so voids the warranty. Here's the web site:
    http://www.do-itmolds.com/tips_limited_warranty.aspx

and it says:

Warranty is void:
    if mold was altered, disassembled or otherwise modified.
    if mold was preheated over an open flame.
    if mold was forced open when lead was poured into the hinged area.
    if mold was abused by being dropped or handled in a reckless manner.