Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brother lost

Post Thanks / Like

Brother lost

My brother died one year ago today and in his memorie i want to encourage all to get prostate exams or a colonoscopy.He was 36 so dont think your to young to check.If found in early stages you have a much better chance at survival.If found when you start having symptoms your survival rate drops to 10-20 percent.When i had mine done a tumor was found and removed and in that aspect it took what may have become cancerous.Dont wait till its too late,colon cancer is a very painfull and terrible way to go.Ive seen it.Take care all.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Brother lost

Nice thought John. I lost my oldest brother in Sept of 07, I know how you feel. Take care and tightlines to you and yours.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry about your brother, but I thank you for reminding us to do the easy things to stay healthy. If we aren't doing the things you suggest, we really aren't doing everything we can to protect ourselves and our families.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry about your brother, its been 14 months since my wife died of pancreatic cancer,as for colonoscopy do it! My prostate was enlarged,and eventually caused my bladder to quit working, if I had had the surgery a year earlier, all might have gone well, dont take chances, while my predicament isn't fatal, yet, the treatment is cumbersome,and sometimes uncomfortable, but heck 72 is a age that most guys never reached before.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for everyones kind words.Spread it around to those you care about.The prostate exam may be a little uncomfortable and embarrasing but its quick and youll have peace of mind.The colonoscopy isnt bad at all,they sedate you and you never know anything exept afterwards when you find out the results.Either youll have peace of mind or youll know and they can get to working on you.If found early youll have an 80 percent 5 year survival rate,my brother started having symptoms and a year later he was gone.Something to think about.

New Washington, Indiana, The good ole U.S.A..
    Post Thanks / Like

John,

I am so sorry, I didn't realize it had been a year. We will be praying for you all.

Jason

Post Thanks / Like

WE wish you and your family the best ,and you are right you need to have your self checked,hope you find some peace in are prayers, MIKE CECIL

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry for your loss John, I agree 100% every man needs to be checked, yearly if possible.....

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear about everybodys losses here. I have had 3 colonoscopies in the last year, one was surgical in which the doc remove 7 small tumors and fixed a couple ulcers in my colon. I am fairly lucky so far and have only developed ulcerative colitis. I am only 43 and I thought it was too early for me to get this done but I was wrong. Get the procedure done, it doesnt hurt and you can usally get a simpathy rod and reel from the wife if you play your cards right.

Post Thanks / Like

I am sorry to hear of your loss. I lost my day at 10:30 am Christmas Day of 1992 and never celebrated the day again until I had children and had too. I guess, although I hated reading of your loss, it is something I have been putting off to long myself. I will turn 37 next Friday and my dad died at 53 yrs old, they say you don't NEED to be checked until 10 years prior to when your parent got it, but you got me thinking I better go ahead and make that appointment. I have children I want to see get older than my dad saw me get, so if ALL OF US think of doing it for no other reason, our children should be a good enough one. Thank you for scaring me into getting off my butt and doing it. Sorry again for you loss and my prayers tonight will be with you and your family.

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Im glad to hear that your going to do it.I hope i have raised some awareness to where more people will.This is not something that just older people need to worry about.My cousin died at 26 from this and my brother learned nothing from it and it cost him his life.I have to go every three years now and it was highly recommended with my family history that all of my boys start being checked at 21 years old.My doctor told me that when you are checked and polyps are found and removed that is the closest you can get to curing or stopping the cancer.If you have no family history of this dont be the one to start it.Thanks for all your prayers and spread this around.The procedures are not as embarrasing or as uncomfortable as what you play over in your head.The last stages of cancer are as painfull and terrible and debilitating as you can think of and more.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Brother lost

Quote Originally Posted by fisheater View Post
    Im glad to hear that your going to do it.I hope i have raised some awareness to where more people will.This is not something that just older people need to worry about.My cousin died at 26 from this and my brother learned nothing from it and it cost him his life.I have to go every three years now and it was highly recommended with my family history that all of my boys start being checked at 21 years old.My doctor told me that when you are checked and polyps are found and removed that is the closest you can get to curing or stopping the cancer.If you have no family history of this dont be the one to start it.Thanks for all your prayers and spread this around.The procedures are not as embarrasing or as uncomfortable as what you play over in your head.The last stages of cancer are as painfull and terrible and debilitating as you can think of and more.
    You are right, the procedure is not a big deal. Had my first one a couple of months ago. You are asleep during the entire procedure.
    Gary