Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

First fishing trip to Reelfoot Lake-Questions

I will be fishing Reelfoot Lake in mid-June this year. It will be my first time at the Lake. I'm travelling from Florida. I want the trip to be worthwhile, so, barring bad weather, what can I expect for fishing for crappie and/or bluegill? Is June too late for catching crappie? Is it a good time to catch bluegill? What do I need to know to catch fish on Reelfoot Lake? Do I fish around visible cover or look for fish in more open and deeper water? Any help or suggestions are appreciated. I'll be staying at one of the resorts and using one of their boats.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: First fishing trip to Reelfoot Lake-Questions

Mid June is Bass, Bluegill and Catfish time for sure. Crappie is a crap shoot at best depending upon how early/late the spawn was. Get a lake map in advance as this is a shallow lake so oxygen levels will be a key issue as well. Bluegill will be pre-spawn to spawning and crickets along the cover and around stumps work well for me. Shade and cover is where I try to concentrate on them all day long. As far as crappie that late, I'd suggest the deeper water around any cover or shade with minnows but they can be caught with some patience. Lily pads, grass shorelines and trees are the main cover so as soon as you locate fish you can concentrate on that pattern and increase your odds. Good luck on your trip, we will be down in early April again this year. Shoalrunner

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: First fishing trip to Reelfoot Lake-Questions

Thanks, great input. A few other questions, if you don't mind. I purchased a map and need to decide whether I stay at lodging on the Upper Basin or the Lower Basin. What do you know about the two areas and which area would hold the best chances at bluegills and (maybe some crappie fishing) in early June? I contacted one of the resorts and asked for information on a guide. I was told that when I get there they will set me up with one. That's fine, but I'd like the opportunity to ask questions and find out what tackle I might need, etc. before I get there. Do you have any input on guide services? About the oxygen levels, how will that affect the fishing and what will be the causes for low oxygen content? Is the water level something I want to inquire about if I speak to a guide? I appreciate your information. Good fishing!