Search Fishin.com

Thread: Airrus Rods

Post Thanks / Like

Airrus Rods

I was wanting to get some opinions on the Puls-R by Airrus. And see if any one knows a store that sells them other than online.

Thanks
    vorbeck23

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Airrus Rods

You can buy them at A20 in clarksville Ind. They are near Bass Pro shop. They are super rods. I love mine.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vorbeck23 View Post
    I was wanting to get some opinions on the Puls-R by Airrus. And see if any one knows a store that sells them other than online.

Thanks
    vorbeck23
    They are an o.k. rod but there is nothing better than a good IMX or GLX by GLOOMIS. (Note Name...) Who wants an old purple rod with a handle that could be described as a modern art masterpiece anyway... I hear wal-mart is running a special on some shakesphere stuff right now if you were iterested about something on the lines of arrius..

Post Thanks / Like

I tell ya, nuttin like a T & T Custom Rod for the $$$$$ I swear by his Custom Rods..........

Post Thanks / Like

of course all your guys $5,000 kislters and loomis's are awesome and if i had the money id buy em too.But ill gurantee ya my all stars and shimano rods are just as good and will catch just as many fish

Post Thanks / Like

I have been a Loomis guy for many years and the only thing that will get me to buy another rod of equal quality and or price is the warranty.

Post Thanks / Like

and i posted that for smallmouthchaser

Post Thanks / Like

I own 6 Airrus Co-Matrix rods; the orignal model that put Airrus on the map. I also own Gloomis GLX, Kister LTA, St. Croix Legend Elite and Steez rods; net a bunch of expensive rods.

For the money ($90), it was not possible in my opinion to do better then an Airrus till the Shimano Crucials came out for a just a bit more.

The Airrus Rods all have a couple of things in common. They are a graphite composite rod. They have good sensitivity and a ton of backbone. Two drawbacks in my mind- 1) the weight of the rod is in the 5 to 6oz range where as pure graphite rods in the same price range would be 4-5oz. 2) they are all Moderate Fast rods compared to most rods. This makes them good for Cranks, Blades and buzzbaits but not my ideal worm rod. Duckett used a Co-Matrix 7M as his crankbait rod last year that he one the classic with. The Co-Matrix 7M may be the best rod Airrus ever produced in any line of rods or model. If you want to try an Airrus, I'd suggest the 7M which weights 5.2oz. I landed a 20lb fowl hooked snapping turtle with one in florida a few weeks ago. One last think about Airrus, the brains behind the operation departed 1year ago and went to work and created the Carrrot Stick you may have heard about. Airrus was bought by castaway and warrenty is not quite as good as it was when Ken was there.

Here is my recommendation. Watch E-Bay for a new or used Gloomis IMX rod- the MBR783 being a classic all purpose. You should not pay more then $160 delivered to your house. OR, take a look at a Powell or Dobyns Rod in either a 6'8MH or 7MH extra fast. See Tackletour.com for reviews of both these rods with the same guy masterminding both- Gary Dobyns. Finally, the Shimano Crucial is a really top notch rod for the money with an incredible warrenty. The action an balance of the rod might be the only drawback in my mind. I think Backwaters in Somerset had the Powell line at one time.

p.s. 80% of the equipment I own is bought site unseen or imported from Japan. You can learn a great deal from the Tackletour reviews of equipment and feel pretty certain about what you are getting sight unseen. Best of luck.

Post Thanks / Like

I appreciate the feedback...I had looked at one at the classic expo and was impressed. As for the loomis comments I have fished with loomis rods and know about the quality of them. Right now I only fish with Shimano Crucial Rods and was looking to upgrade.

vorbeck23

Post Thanks / Like

I believe the rods that vorbeck is referring to are not the $90 airrus rods but more of the 180 to 200 dollar variety. My previous post was just to get a reaction from some people that would start the "way too expensive" arguement.... I believe a got a bite. Any rod will let you know when you get a big, decisive take a run and go hit... or should i say not the rod but in fact your line. What we are talking about here however is not the hammer style of hits. We are talking about how an Airrus rod stacks up to rods of comparable price, in this case 180-200 dollars. SO... does anyone have one of these rods? How does it preform in comparison to a GL3 Loomis or an Avid St. Croix? OR is it a better play to go ahead and spend that extra 75 to 80 dollars and get an IMX or legend elite?

In response to the berea basser comment... I had all-star rods. They were in fact what i used before i transitioned to gloomis. They were a good rod. However, they are 96% graphite (classic) and even the titanium is an inferior rod compared to a Loomis of the same price (GL3). I can prove this due to friends that have borrowed my rods after some persuasion and when the very next week and switched. No there is not a big differnece, but there is just enough to get that fish you might have missed or not have known was there with something else. 1 more fish in a tournament is a big deal. Think of how many times a keeper would have got you some extra cash in a tourney or maybe even a win. Now multiply that by the number of tournaments you fish in a year. How much money is that? Just about enough to justify that rod

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by vorbeck23 View Post
    I appreciate the feedback...I had looked at one at the classic expo and was impressed. As for the loomis comments I have fished with loomis rods and know about the quality of them. Right now I only fish with Shimano Crucial Rods and was looking to upgrade.

vorbeck23
    I don't consider the Pulsr to be an upgrade from the Co-Matrix in function mostly form. I have fished a friends Pulsr before deciding not to buy. If you have crucials already I don't think a Pulsr is an upgrade. The Crucial that I have (the 6'6M Dropshot baitcasting) is an extremely sensitive rod and is well made. I think you could look at a Powell max rod if you want lighter weight and splitgrip with a variety of actions. I like them a bit better then Crucials but they cost a bit more and have less warrenty. For better overall sensitivity performance from where you already are, I think you are talking Gloomis GLX of St Croix Legend Elite rods. A loomis IMX may provide an upgrade in certain models to the Crucial but I would not sell what you have to go to IMX models and I would not think of selling to get less then an IMX. One of the things I have come to learn I like about Loomis IMX and GLX rods is the balance and action of the rods. I have a number of rods (Kistler, Powell, and maybe even the Airrus co-Matrix) that can compare sensitivity wise to my MBR782 IMX rod but they come with balance drawbacks, weight drawbacks, or they don't load as well as I'd like in some way. I have a couple of old BPS Pro Qulaifier rods that have great sensitivity but are so ridgid they are hard to cast.

I take 11 rods out in the boat- 1 Steez, 1 Legend Elite, 1 Kistler LTA, 1 Crucial and 7 Gloomis (1 crankbait, 1 IMX, 5 GLX). I bought these over time and I guess you can see how my money spoke. To be clear, I was going for best rod period not best value for a specific application. I should also add that I purchased every rod off ebay at 30 to 50% discount vs. full retail. I think the Crucial is the value play.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the excellent feedback davidsa. Vorbeck23 is one of my friends that i fish with from time to time. We were both wondering how the airrus rods were on the water compaired to something along the lines of St. Croix/Loomis and now we have an answer... not quite as good.

I have often wondered what the diffences were in a Loomis and the rods you say you own (Kistler, Diawa Steelz...) just never went out and bought one to find out. I love my Loomis rods and have never fished with anything to come close to the actions, sensitivity and weight. Over the past 5 or 6 years I have bought 9 (3 GLX, 2 IMX, 1 Mossyback, 1 Spinnerbait, 1 GL3, and 1 Dropshot) and would have to say that for the money the IMX is the best buy. The newer rods that belong to a specific series (spinnerbait, mossyback,...) dont have quite the sensitivity of the GLX or IMX but sometimes that isnt needed for an application with a moving bait. What is needed is the action, for casting, hooksets and control. Thats where these "series" rods save money (compaired to an IMX or above) and shine. Even the Jig and Worm GLX rods arent as sensitive as a normal GLX classic (I suspect due to the coating that covers the entire blank on the J/W rod) yet the action makes up for it with the faster tip that helps with the snap hookset of this style of fishing.

So in my opinion you get what you pay for. If you dont believe me here is a test the next time you go into a fishing store:

1. Pick up a rod
    2. Hold said rod in your hand just as you would fish with it.
    3. Hit the butt end of the rod with your other hand in a "judo chop" motion.
    4. Watch how long it takes the tip to completely quit shaking after the hit.

This is called recovery time. It increases the distance of a cast and is also a pretty good determination of the grade of graphite in the rod. Now, that being said, if you find a rod with a quicker recovery time than a loomis of compairable weight, length, action... give me a call (my phone never rings).