Search Fishin.com

Thread: Boat Carpet

Post Thanks / Like

Boat Carpet

Anyone in the Indianapolis area that does boat carpet work? My bass boat could use a new rug, but I don't want to drag it down to louisville to get the work done if someone local can do it.

If anyone has had it done can you give me a price range that I can expect to pay for a 18ft bass boat.

Thanks for any feedback.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Boat Carpet

I redone my 18 footer myself a couple years ago.........Only costs me about $200 in material. If you have someone else do it for you your probably lookin between $1000-1500! I figured I could a little less than perfect job and do it 6 times for what someone else would charge. Mine can out lookin great and only took a short weekend to do.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DSPCHAMY View Post
    Anyone in the Indianapolis area that does boat carpet work? My bass boat could use a new rug, but I don't want to drag it down to louisville to get the work done if someone local can do it.

If anyone has had it done can you give me a price range that I can expect to pay for a 18ft bass boat.

Thanks for any feedback.
    I have just had my 20" Htdra-Sports re-carpeted by a fellow named Steve Pyle 1-858-863-5121 he is in Lexington,KY he did a great job $810 material & labor. Dropped boat off on Sat. Picked up next Sat. I live in Vevay so Lexington is only 90 min trip for me.

Post Thanks / Like

My advice is do it yourself, its not that hard, little time consuming but worth it once you save all that money. Get some Good glue and try to do it on a warm day. The glue sets much faster and more efficiently.

Post Thanks / Like

I just bought my carpet from Bass Cat. They were kind enough to send me samples. The price is pretty fair and so far the service has been great.
    Eric H.

Post Thanks / Like

I have a fishermarine Water Stider III bass boat.
    The light brown carpet was worn off the front deck after years of use. In 2003/04 I decided to take off the old carpet and replace it with some new indoor/outdoor carpet like they put on it when it was new.

I went to Lowes and purchased some carpet and installed it myself.

They cut out a thick piece of aluminum and screwed it on the top of my boat's front deck. So I was able to take the screws out and take that piece of aluminum off the deck. I used that as a template and cut the carpet to fit the template. I then glued the new carpet onto the template and let it setup for a couple of days in my garage. I was able to screw the aluminum piece with the new carpet back onto the front of my boat and it looks like new. The only problem is that the color of the new stuff is a shade or two lighter than the older carpet. I may do the back deck the same way.

Let me give you a hint on how to get the old carpet and glue off. That's the hardest part of the job or replacing a carpet on a boat. IMHO. That was the hardest part for my particular job. Now your boat may be different and you may have to do more work but this is the key

Using MethyleneCholoride to dissovle the old carpet glue. This stuff will melt the old glue away and allowed me to clean the pieice of aluminum of all the old glue and it was actually shiney when I got done with the carpet and glue removal. So try methylenechloride if you are removing old carpet and glue from aluminum boats or decking. Test if on the surface you intend to work on to make sure that it will work and not damage anything. I have not used it on fiberglass or any other material. But it will dissolve the hard glue easily. I tried other chemicals and they did not work.

Methylene Chloride was the only chemical that I got to work. It made the job so much easier. Be careful with this stuff as it will burn your skin. I used rubber gloves and a scraper to work with this stuff.

I tried to scrape this stuff off using other stuff like Naptha and Tolulene but they didn't do anything to disolve the glue and scraping it off was very hard to impossible without dissolving the glue first. That glue had been on the boat since it was made in 1978.

So far the indoor/outdoor carpet from Lowes has held up good. And I know how to replace it easily if it starts to wear out.

The original carpet was on the boat from 1978 until about 2002 when I finally decided that it was time to fix the boat up.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoover28 View Post
    My advice is do it yourself, its not that hard, little time consuming but worth it once you save all that money. Get some Good glue and try to do it on a warm day. The glue sets much faster and more efficiently.