Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Crappie fishing near Kenlake S.P.

I'm going to be staying and fishing out of Kenlake the 2nd week of April.Is the crappie fishing good in Ledbetter creek or should I go north to Jonathan creek.Also,Does anyone fish the bridge area?Thanks for any and all help about either the location or how to catch them,Darealbigcatman

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Crappie fishing near Kenlake S.P.

You should be able to catch Crappie just about everywhere the 2nd week of April. Jonathan crk will have plenty of fish but it will also have plenty of fishermen. You should do pretty good wherever you decide to fish.

Post Thanks / Like

Definitely Jonathan Creek

There's plenty of stake beds in the back there to fish near the road levee. My buddies actually drive and park on the levee, and wade fish those stake beds...they usually out fish the guys in boats by 3:1 ! Just remember though that you're after the whites during that time of the year. My wade fishing buddies were out this weekend in a boat for a change, hitting a little deeper water and limited out on black crappie! The black crappie bite is hot right now!

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help.What's the difference between the way you fish for White crappie vs. the Black crappie?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darealbigcatman View Post
    Thanks for the help.What's the difference between the way you fish for White crappie vs. the Black crappie?
    That's like asking what's the difference between the way you fish for Largemouth vs. Smallmouth - both have a very different spawning cycle. The lures and techniques are the same, but when and where is completely different.

This past weekend, the big females were starting to move up shallow to spawn...not a lot, but the big monsters were there. The better numbers were coming off of brush piles just off the spawning banks a little deeper, but still very close to the spawning areas. I'm guessing the cool down this week will send the ones that were up on the bank back to the brush piles for a little while until it starts warming back up. I keep telling people that if you want catch good numbers of crappie on Ky Lake, you have to come in early or mid March and go after the BLACK crappie...but no one wants to do that (too cold I guess), they'd rather wait for warmer weather in April and go after the Whites - thing is that there's not as many of those as there used to be and they get mad when they don't catch them like they used to...hence the smaller limit this year. The total numbers of crappie are still very good, only difference is that it's now a dominant BLACK crappie population and you have to adjust your skills accordingly.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Art.You've been a lot of help,Darealbigcatman

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darealbigcatman View Post
    Thanks Art.You've been a lot of help,Darealbigcatman

Art has you covered, you might want to check out this web site

http://www.kdfwr.state.ky.us/navigation.asp?cid=397&NavPath=C101C552

Post Thanks / Like

Wow,Thanks.That's some neat stuff.Apparently my trip will depend a good deal, as most trips do in the Spring on the weather.I appreciate all the help,Darealbigcatman