Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Kentucky Trophy/Master Angler Program

The thread about trophy largemouth made me wonder if any of you guys participate in this. Kentucky has a program where you can get a certificate for a "Trophy" fish, and if you certify trophy catches of three different species, you get a "Master Angler" award:
    http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=135&NavPath=C101

According to the site, the "official" minimum length for a Trophy largemouth in KY is 23 inches. Have any of you registered trophy fish with them? Are any of you certified as Master Anglers?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kentucky Trophy/Master Angler Program

Now that is a pretty sweet deal! I had no idea it even existed. Very interesting. So they consider a 20" smallie a trophy.

Post Thanks / Like

They consider a 23" large mouth a trophy.

I wonder what the average 23" large mouth would weigh

DA

Post Thanks / Like

Maybe 6-7??

Post Thanks / Like

I registered the 22" Smallmouth I caught in 2007. They sent me a certificate in the mail (and maybe a decal).

My brother once caught 2 qualifying species in one year, but he didn't register either of them.

My Dad caught a qualifying Smallmouth this year (see the photo board), but didn't care about registering it.

Post Thanks / Like

I caught a 23 inch LM out of our local city lake last June, sickest fish i'd ever seen I put her on the scales and she was 4.78lbs. 6 pound head on a 4 pound body. Had 3 over 22 inches this year at that lake and heavist one was 5.43. But there was a 9lb 6 oz and two over 7 cuaght last year too. I guess I can only catch the one that are so hungry they'd eat anything.

Post Thanks / Like

Yep, I registered a Largemouth from Beaver Lake many years ago. We caught another one later that Winter that was even bigger.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    The thread about trophy largemouth made me wonder if any of you guys participate in this. Kentucky has a program where you can get a certificate for a "Trophy" fish, and if you certify trophy catches of three different species, you get a "Master Angler" award:
    http://fw.ky.gov/navigation.asp?cid=135&NavPath=C101

According to the site, the "official" minimum length for a Trophy largemouth in KY is 23 inches. Have any of you registered trophy fish with them? Are any of you certified as Master Anglers?
    Yes, I began applying back in 91 or 92, and recieved my first master angler award in 92. Since then I've recieved 3 others and 7 annual awards for the biggest fish of that spieces that year. It was fun trying to target a certain spieces and then catch a trophy.I think I ended up with around 30 trophy certificates and stickers. I believe the last one I recieved was in 98..Then babies came and I went from fishing 7 days a week to 1 and kinda got out of it. Funny I catch bigger fish now and don't buy a stamp, but my wife only allows a small area for fishing trophy's...lol ..Chuck

Post Thanks / Like

Thank for replying. I guess they must have changed the program over the years. Nowadays there's no time limit, you don't have to catch the three trophy fish in the same year to get a Master Angler award, they just have to be three different species. And they give you a plaque (that's a weird word to type), so I guess it's a one-time deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by RoadToad View Post
    Thank for replying. I guess they must have changed the program over the years. Nowadays there's no time limit, you don't have to catch the three trophy fish in the same year to get a Master Angler award, they just have to be three different species. And they give you a plaque (that's a weird word to type), so I guess it's a one-time deal.
    I'm not sure how the rules have changed being out for 10 years . Back when I started a guy named Russel Kennedy was in charge then a nice lady named Barbara something...What I would like to know is if there is a site that lists all of the master anglers, and where they caught there trophy's. I think it would be some interesting reading for sure. Of course all my trophy's were caught out of the river except for my 2 bass. Farm ponds for them. Did have one smallie close on the river but know cigar.