Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Question 1986 Ranger fish ski Vs. 1988 BASS TRACKER

Im going to buy my first boat in the next week or two I have narrowed down the searh to a 1988 Bass tracker Aluminum with 35hp Mercury well kept boat been garaged its whole life 16ft. Vs A 1986 Ranger fish and ski thats in good shape but has been fished hard has a 150 Johnson gt on it that runs very well. both boats are loaded trolling motors and fish finders . tracker is 2300.00 and ranger is 4000.00 Ill be fishing mostly by myself on the river in lawrenceburg and frankfort and adjacent lakes. what do you guys think. Thanks Ed. Both are 1 owner boats..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: 1986 Ranger fish ski Vs. 1988 BASS TRACKER

really tough question. My choice would be about which has the most reliable motor. Over the years growing up, my Dad had many boats and the motor on a few ruined more trips then I care to remember.

I don't know what a 86 ranger fish and ski looks like but I own a 1995 19'6 Ranger fish and ski that has a walkthrough windshield. Total package is about 3500lbs. The boat is extremely stable to fish and I can take all 3 of my kids on it plus my wife. The downside is the weight you have to drag behind your tow vehicle which needs to be able to tow at least 3500lbs. My dad is in his early 60's and can't even push the ranger around the garage. Ranger boats are generally built very well and hold up for a long time if they are taken care of.

The tracker in question is easy to handle, can be towed behind many vehicles and will be economical but slow on the water. You will find it fine for one or 2 guys on calm protected water. You will find it unstable on open water like Kentucky lake. At 16ft, I'd think twice before taking it out on exposed water in Lake Cumberland when the deep V hull cruisers are passing by and putting out huge wake.

As a fishing platform if the 86 ranger is anything like mine, it bests the tracker by a mile. Mine is just so much more stable and big. I regulary fish out of a 2004 17.5 Tracker on the Canals around Lake Okeechobee in florida. Works well but you know when the other guy moves in the boat. Hope this helps a bit.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks. The ranger has the walk thru windshield. and yes is much bigger and heavier. But the traker is easier for me to move around by-myself. Ill figure it out after the snow storm. Ed

Post Thanks / Like

A few things you will want to take into consideration...

The amount of storage each boat has compared to the amount of gear and tackle you have. My first boat was great, however I was always getting frustrated with the lack of storage. I had to pack an extra tackle bag and it kept getting in the way.

HP will play a bigger difference than you may think. My first boat was a 99 Javelin 369B with a 90 horse Johnson. It was a great first boat and despite what people told me, I thought that the 90 would be plenty of motor for me. There were many times I kept wishing I had more get up and go such as tournaments, fishing with more people in the boat, and just for the simple fact that God wired men to want to go fast. I have a 175 johnson now that will push my boat about 70 - I don't need to always go that fast, but it is nice to have the extra juice if needed.

If you are going to be visiting a larger lake like Cumberland or Barren of KY - then you will need something a little bigger. Also, if you ever want to just go to the lake, the ranger will suit your needs more. Sometime when the fish aren't biting and the weather is nice - it's fun to just go cruise the lake (although with gas prices I may be cruising the lake with my Minn Kota) and with the ranger you can throw a pair of skis or a tube and have a good family outing.

Make sure to get a compression test on both motors and actually get both boats out on the water if at all possible. That will give you a better feel for both boats, especially since you are looking at boats that are very much different from each other. Also, walk around on the boat to see how sturdy the wood is underneath, be sure to check under the cockpit too, sometimes water can catch there and effect the flooring. Check the transom too and make sure there is no give when the motor is turned and trimmed up and down. Spin the prop and see if there is any wobble as it turns, make sure the skeg is straight, and check the oil in the lower unit to see if there is any water in the oil or metal shavings.

If a couple of thousand dollars isn't a big deal in this purchase I would recommend the ranger.

The ultimate choice is yours. I have found out that the fish don't really care if you are in a $40,000 boat or a $400 john boat and too many people get the impression you need to spend a ton of money to fish. Just make sure they will hold up!

Good luck and congrats on your future purchase

Post Thanks / Like

I guess we could think about a boat based on parts.

1- can you afford to tow it to the lake
    2- will the motor start at the lake
    3- will it get you, your guest and your gear where you want to go and how long will it take.
    4- once you arrive, can you fish the way you want (standing, sitting). Can you lay a few rods out?
    5- if weather comes up while your on the water, can you get back to the ramp.

Brings up one more thought, my Ranger trailors like a dream. Wind blowing, by myself, does not matter, I can get it on the trailer easy. The tracker is harder to trailer because it is light and the wind will blow you more and because the trailer is not nearly as nice as what comes with my ranger.

Post Thanks / Like

$4000 for a 22 year old Boat and Motor even though it's a ranger seems excessive.

If your not prpared to do work on the motor yourself, check around and see if you can find someone who will work on the motor. Here in Indy National Boat Mart cutoff is 10years.

You can check values here:
    http://www.nadaguides.com/SectionHome.aspx?LI=1-28-0-5000-502-578-50250&l=1&w=24&p=0&f=5601

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks guys this gives me allott to think about. Ed