Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Used boat opinion wanted

Looking at purchasing a 2000 520 SVX Ranger with a 200 opti. Looking for opinions on the Ranger boats since Jen Mar started building them as opposed to older Ranger boats. Also, I know that the new Merc motors are excellent, what do you think of the 2000 models? Appreciate any help that I can get.

Gunpilot

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Used boat opinion wanted

Ranger=Quality. I fished a tournament last year in a not so new 520 -probably close to a 2000 model, and it was one of the nicest boats I was in last year. They are not the smoothest riding in rough water (by far not the worst either), but fish outstanding (extremely stable). Ranger boats are hard to beat in terms of reliability and quality. They also have the best trailers too. I have to thow out that Tritons are my favorite though.

Post Thanks / Like

Ranger boat will be okay but I would check out the optimax really well. They didnt get the nickname opti-pop for no reason. Mercury used to be the best out there but their quailty and reliability has slipped the last 10 years

Post Thanks / Like

Mercury motors did have some trouble with a few DFI motors at first. I cant remember the first year that Opti Max was in production but it was around 00 and if my memory is correct the 00 and 01 200 Opit Max did get the nickmane opti pop.

I am not 100% sure if the information I am giving is correct so please do some research...I think it was the 00 and 01 200hp motors that had issues. I have never owned a Mercury but I would be willing to buy anything newer than an 02 model.