Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hand Tying Jig Skirts vs. Using the Band

What are the advantages of Hand tying jig skirts (silicone) as opposed to using the band. Some of the high quality jigs I have bought are tied on - and some jigs (that in my opinion are just as good) use the band on the skirts. I am not opposed to tying them on - I still have my vice and supplies from fly-tying days, and would like to put them to use. Any input????? Does it really make a difference? Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hand Tying Jig Skirts vs. Using the Band

I do both, The bonus of the hand tie is you dont have a collar to rot of in a years time in your tackle box. The downside is I like those rattle collars so I really do a little of both. The hand tie also looks more natural then a black collar sitting on the jig head and the strips of silicone dont move around as much or pull out as easy as it does with a collar.

Post Thanks / Like

I like the hand tied skirts better than the bands. Alot of bands tend to dry rot and fall apart. Just my opinion. I use to use strands of skirt material to tie skirts. holds up better than the bands

Post Thanks / Like

I've read of a lot of guy's on tackle underground using copper wire similar to War Eagle's have any of you all done this?

Post Thanks / Like

I now have gone and re-tied all my jigs that came with the rubber ring around the skirts. I don't like fishing a jig and the next thing I see is my skirt has been pulled down and could possibly interfere with a hook set. So I re-tied them all using a good thread from BPS. I took two pieces of copper wire and used that to hold the weed guard out of the way. So I could tie the skirts on, plus on some of my jigs I actually added some more skirt material to make them bulkier looking. After I have them tied I lay a piece of scrap line folded over and then make about 5 to 6 more wraps around the scrap line. Then cut the thread and insert the tag end through the loop of the scrap. Pull the thread up through the loop and it buries the tag end under the last few wraps. Then I add a drop or two of cement to seal the thread.