Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Braided Fishing Line

I was in the Sarasota, Florida last spring fishing for speckled trout and redfish. We caught a lot of fish using live bait. All rods were rigged with 15 lb. Ultracast Spiderwire Invisibraid with 10 lb. fluorocarbon leaders tied with the uni-knot. The key to catching the fish were extremely long casts on 8' Loomis spinning rods into shallow clear water. The boat and trolling motor did not spook the fish. The distance key was the braid.

Has anybody used the braid successfully on similar situations, such as with rattletraps or jerkbaits in freshwater for bass?

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Braided Fishing Line

I use 10/2 on my FNF rosds, with a 6 lb flouro leader, also use it on most of my tackle, my favorite is 20/6 with flouro.Used it for specs in Alabama trolling , and it worked fine.About all I use mono for is pan fish.

Post Thanks / Like

I never liked using braid for baits like that since there is no give on the hookset. I would rather use mono but that's just how I like it. I have heard of people using braid on rattletraps around the grass since you can rip the bait through the grass much easier.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm just a frail little ole man about 260lbs,and its sortof hard for me to understand the thing about setting the hook too hard, but when I troll I use fiberglass rods, and a little looser drag.Butr I fished with a guy last year, who only uses live bait , and this guy really set hooks, at least twice. I guess with these stiff rods, its possible to tear out hooks with braid. A l;ot of my fishing now is with those wimpy long limber rods and sharp hooks.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by LarryG View Post
    I'm just a frail little ole man about 260lbs,and its sortof hard for me to understand the thing about setting the hook too hard, but when I troll I use fiberglass rods, and a little looser drag.Butr I fished with a guy last year, who only uses live bait , and this guy really set hooks, at least twice. I guess with these stiff rods, its possible to tear out hooks with braid. A l;ot of my fishing now is with those wimpy long limber rods and sharp hooks.
    The biggest problem with braid on those type of baits is pulling the bait away from the fish first off and then the possiblity of ripping the hook out on the hookset. I love braid in vegatation or deep water with blade baits or jigs but on the jerkbait I prefer fluro to help get the bait to the preferred depth and mono on cranks as the mono does have some stretch. The glass rods help a lot to on the cranks.

hope this helps out.

Skeeter

Post Thanks / Like

Got this from an in-fisherman article a while back and it has worked for me. When fishing braid add a 8-10 ft leader of mono (not fluoro) for the invisibility factor as well as a shock absorber. This has worked for me. Also, I grew up fishing spinning rods with small cranks with trebles for smallies. With that set up, you don't hit 'em with a hard hook set. I think that has help me with the braid fishing as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by wkerber View Post
    Got this from an in-fisherman article a while back and it has worked for me. When fishing braid add a 8-10 ft leader of mono (not fluoro) for the invisibility factor as well as a shock absorber. This has worked for me. Also, I grew up fishing spinning rods with small cranks with trebles for smallies. With that set up, you don't hit 'em with a hard hook set. I think that has help me with the braid fishing as well.

I agree with you I use a fluoro leader too on hook set I just use a sweeping hook set and just load the rod works good for me.

Good fishing

Post Thanks / Like

I like 50lb braid for my flippin stick. Seems like you can horse them in and with the big hook on a jig you won't tear out. Thump. Get the net!!!