Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Barkley Next week or Florida Big O???

I have reservations down at lake Barkley Lodge (little river) starting the 27th but I'm debating on going back down to the Okeechobee to my Dad's place for the week instead. Really tough call. Long drive, warm weather and possibility of a big fish vs. short drive, likely uncertain weather but the potential for numbers if the jerkbait bite is on. Last year I had my best trip of the year down on Barkley at the start of April but this January had my personal best bass down on the canal's around Lake O.

What would you choose?? Guess any mention of Lake Barkley kind of assumes the mud will clear up in the next 13 days. Anyone with a guess as to how long the mud will last at Barkley? thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Barkley Next week or Florida Big O???

The weather forecast tonight looks like another possible heavy rain for the first part of the week starting about Monday PM. Okeechobee may look better. Good luck which ever way you go.

Post Thanks / Like

No one knows when Barkley will clear but the good Lord, but I would expect it to clear as soon as the TVA starts pulling the water down hard...heck of a lot cheaper to stay in Ky and come down here...even if Barkley does not clear up you can drive across the LBL and launch on Ky.

Post Thanks / Like

I think I will watch the weather forcast and lake levels till Thursday then make the call.

I could fish KYL a day while I'm down but likely not every day. My 5 and 7 year olds will be with me and that makes flexibilty in launch locations tougher. Generally they like to stay near that swimming pool at the Barkely state park.

My trip cost is about the same either way because I don't need to tow a boat when I go to Florida (have one down there) and we have free lodging.

My biggest regret going to Florida is giving up the Jerkbait opportunity. Absolutely my favorite fishing technique.

thanks

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Barkley Next week or Florida Big O???

I just got back from Florida. You wouldn't have to ask me which one I would choose. Florida! Sunny, warm,warm,warm and fish are on pretty good. Spinnerbait tight to the bank early morning and evening. Shakey heads, and dropshot all produced for us. Or soft plastics. Water temps in the outer canal were around 70 and the main lake on the South side were around 63-65. Those are close to Jerkbait temps but we never threw one. Good Luck and post back after your trip....................................Bill

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by 18'stratos View Post
    I just got back from Florida. You wouldn't have to ask me which one I would choose. Florida! Sunny, warm,warm,warm and fish are on pretty good. Spinnerbait tight to the bank early morning and evening. Shakey heads, and dropshot all produced for us. Or soft plastics. Water temps in the outer canal were around 70 and the main lake on the South side were around 63-65. Those are close to Jerkbait temps but we never threw one. Good Luck and post back after your trip....................................Bill
    Fished Ky. Lake today. I personally didnt catch alot of fish but everyone but one person weighed in fish in our club tournament. the winner had two fish over five pounds plus three more to go with them, also one guy said he was culling an hour and a half into the tournament and one guy did say he caught a couple of fish on jerkbaits but they were small. Ky. is clearing up slowly. Late afternoon we were finding 51 degree water and we didnt have to run to find it.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by BassNNutt View Post
    Fished Ky. Lake today. I personally didnt catch alot of fish but everyone but one person weighed in fish in our club tournament. the winner had two fish over five pounds plus three more to go with them, also one guy said he was culling an hour and a half into the tournament and one guy did say he caught a couple of fish on jerkbaits but they were small. Ky. is clearing up slowly. Late afternoon we were finding 51 degree water and we didnt have to run to find it.
    What kind of patterns were your folks reporting? Definitely more fish seem to moving in with the waters staying up. The TVA has changed their forecast 3 times on the water levels over the past three days...first they are gonna pull it and then they are gonna bring it up...they are on a bring it up forecast again this morning...lol. We are supposed to get some heavy rains in here Tuesday and Wednesday so I expect it will stay up.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DaveStewart View Post
    What kind of patterns were your folks reporting? Definitely more fish seem to moving in with the waters staying up. The TVA has changed their forecast 3 times on the water levels over the past three days...first they are gonna pull it and then they are gonna bring it up...they are on a bring it up forecast again this morning...lol. We are supposed to get some heavy rains in here Tuesday and Wednesday so I expect it will stay up.
    Dave we caught several fish yesterday on crawfish and rootbeer rattle traps and jigs. I covered alot of water mid Ky lake. When i would find fish with the traps we would slow down and fish with jigs....

Just a pattern i picked up on yesterday... I'm sure there were better patterns but with the lake up like it is the fish were scattered...
    Good Luck to ya

Post Thanks / Like

What is "TVA"? And where do you go to check lake forecasts?

Post Thanks / Like

With all the rain going on today and tomorrow, I can't see lake levels coming down any time soon. I live near Cincinnati and we are getting dumped on as I type with 5 more inches expected in the next 24 hours. Water we get will make its way down the Ohio for probably the next week or so and I'd guess limit how much lakes can flow into the Ohio.

I'm working hard to figure out if I can get all my work done this week so that I can go to Florida next week In the early summer when lake flood, I like flippin trees and brush but not so much when the water is 50 degrees.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sore thumb View Post
    What is "TVA"? And where do you go to check lake forecasts?
    TVA = Tennessee Valley Authority Gov. agency that controles the dam's in the Tennessee Valley: Enter TVA Reservoir Information in your serch box, Then click on chose reseivoir and select a lake Then click on view info. Shood get you there.

Good Luck & Good Fishin