Search Fishin.com

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Reverand Wright/obama

I am not going to vote for Obama or H.C. , solely because he/she is a dem, I do (believe it or not) agree with their political stances on most of the primary issues. For now, I will vote Dem regardless of the candidate, because on a personal and political level I tend to agree with the party as whole, more than I do the republican party. That is not to say that the republican party has nothing good to offer, or I am in total disagreement with everything they do or represent, I am not. On a presidential level, I have never voted Republican, however, I have not totally thrown out the possibility that I someday will, or there will be a republican candidate I support - it just hasn't happened yet, and this year will be no different.

PL, I really enjoy these debates, and it seems we share many similar views. However, attack the issues not the people. Although I don't share many of their views, I still respect these fellows on here. Afterall, it is a fishing site not a political platform. We all share at least one common interest. My fishing interests/addiction far outweighs my political affiliation! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

I'd guess Mr. Wright to be pretty far down the trail, prolly lived through some tough times and racial discrimination. I understand what you're saying. Fact is though, he and many like him who preach hate are a huge part of the problem. They have large followings while people who try to help black Americans instead of teaching them they're victims are ignored. White people cannot fix black America's problems, and long as their self appointed leaders are the likes of Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, I doubt anyone else can either.

A 60 per cent fatherless rate, and their demographic comprising 30 per cent of the population, but committing 70 per cent of the crimes are among some serious issues that need to be addressed. Long as black youth considers thuggery cool and educated upwardly mobile African Americans Uncle Toms, the prognosis isn't good.

Black people need to somehow get past the past, they are not oppressed by whites anymore. There's ample opportunity for minorities in today's society and workplace despite what the race card dealers or guilty condescending whites say. It's time to lose the chip on your collective shoulders and take advantage of the opportunities in this country instead of making excuses.

Post Thanks / Like

Gonna have to send you off to school Col...teach you how dangerous voting straight ticket is. Nah, on second thought you'd prolly just stay smoked up and chase girls, so forget that.

I once voted for a Democrat. Gary Hart. Then smokin hot Donna Rice came along. I can picture his boat now, the "Monkey Business". That guy is still my hero.

Like yourself, I halfheartedly debate politics, but I'm passionate about fishing.

Post Thanks / Like

[QUOTE=Devils Horse;320068]Gonna have to send you off to school Col...teach you how dangerous voting straight ticket is. Nah, on second thought you'd prolly just stay smoked up and chase girls, so forget that.[QUOTE]

I miss college!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Devils Horse View Post
    I'd guess Mr. Wright to be pretty far down the trail, prolly lived through some tough times and racial discrimination. I understand what you're saying. Fact is though, he and many like him who preach hate are a huge part of the problem. They have large followings while people who try to help black Americans instead of teaching them they're victims are ignored. White people cannot fix black America's problems, and long as their self appointed leaders are the likes of Louis Farakhan, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton, I doubt anyone else can either.

A 60 per cent fatherless rate, and their demographic comprising 30 per cent of the population, but committing 70 per cent of the crimes are among some serious issues that need to be addressed. Long as black youth considers thuggery cool and educated upwardly mobile African Americans Uncle Toms, the prognosis isn't good.

Black people need to somehow get past the past, they are not oppressed by whites anymore. There's ample opportunity for minorities in today's society and workplace despite what the race card dealers or guilty condescending whites say. It's time to lose the chip on your collective shoulders and take advantage of the opportunities in this country instead of making excuses.
    Man if everyone in the world read your post DH, I believe their eyes would finally be opened up to the real problems in this world. Also I see that you do as I do and address Black people who live in the US, as Black Americans. They are not African Americans, unless they were born in Africa and moved to America. If your born in America, then your a plain American and nothing more and nothing less.....

Post Thanks / Like

Black people need to somehow get past the past, they are not oppressed by whites anymore. There's ample opportunity for minorities in today's society and workplace despite what the race card dealers or guilty condescending whites say.
    DH, I agree things are better than they used to be, and I agree "oppressed" is probably not an accurate word today to describe the condition of blacks in the US.

In our calls for personal responsibility, though, let's don't forget blacks are still discriminated against. Everyday. While I agree that the culture of victimization has hurt the cause of equality, so has continuing prejudice. You and I will never know what it feels like to be pulled over for "driving while black" or to have someone move to the other side of the street when they pass you at midnight on the sidewalk.

Farrakhan and Sharpton don't help, but well-meaning politicians and the US government are more to blame. When teenage girls (black AND white) figured out they could have a couple kids and get a welfare check that was more than what they could make in a minimum-wage job, the situation became hopeless at that point.

I think we're moving in the right direction. My parents grew up in the deep South where it was (and is still, to a lesser degree) not uncommon to be a closet racist. I grew up believing in equality but with vestiges of that deep-rooted thought. My kids and their friends, they couldn't care less what color skin someone has.

I think that's a big part of why Obama is where he is. Many folks are disaffected with the way things have been going in our country, and they want to feel good about something the US does.

Post Thanks / Like

O.K. I'm writing Jim, aka Devil's Horse in the race. I'd vote for him over any we presently have running. Your post on thuggery being cool and the like is SPOT ON. If anybody on here denies it your head is waaaay down in the sand. It's not my fault when someone chooses a life of drugs, no job and killing to survive. Me and mine did not cause that and the dang Government didn't either. GET A **** JOB AND QUIT BEING A GANGSTA PUNK. And I don't care if you are green this still applies, I'M DONE WITH THAT.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    It's not my fault when someone chooses a life of drugs, no job and killing to survive.
    Quote Originally Posted by mhall View Post
    Me and mine did not cause that and the dang Government didn't either.
    mhall,

I don't remember anyone saying you and yours were to blame for anything, so I'm not sure why you're so loudly proclaiming your innocence. Are you trying to say that because you're not a racist, racism doesn't exist in this country? If that's the case, we're just going to have to agree to disagree.

I think we agree on more than you think, though.

If you read my post to mean we should absolve anyone of their personal responsibility, you need to read it again. There is a big difference between understanding what got us to this point and absolving people of their responsibility to be productive members of society. Government has always been involved in social engineering, and LBJ's Great Society had noble goals but ended up rewarding poor citizenship and bad family practices.

All I said was there are factors--like discrimination and the government's welfare state--that have contributed to the situation we have now. It's those who don't understand *that* who have their heads in the sand. The only way to solve a problem is to understand the factors that caused it.

The biggest problem is the breakdown of the family. That's where it all starts.

Post Thanks / Like

Hey Mark, you need to quit holding it in man. Every now and then just say how you really feel. I'll pencil you in for governor of Green River if you'll vote me in for mayor of Barren.

JCB, I'm sorry I just don't see the discrimination you mention. The opportunities are there for anyone willing to take them.

Far as getting stopped driving while black, like it or not there's some reasons behind that. A disproportional number of crimes are committed by young black males. Not politically correct and you won't hear it on the news, but true nonetheless. It's young black males who complain of getting stopped for DWB right? I'd say the overwhelming number of Cops operate on suspicion not hate, and it does make a certain amount of sense to stop the most likely suspects. How many middle aged people, or females complain of being stopped because they're black?

As to crossing to the other side of the street, it totally depends on the situation. In a normal setting with people all around, you ain't gonna make me believe anyone crosses over out of hate. Just doesn't happen. They can dish out all the propaganda and guilt trips they want and some of us are still smart enough to recognize BS when we hear it. Now, on a more deserted street would people cross over? Many would yeah, and once again probably only if it's one or more young black males. Is it because they hate somebody? Very doubtful. They feel threatened because a significant percentage of young black males are violent and dangerous thugs. It's that simple, sugar coat it any way you want. The news media and Rainbow Coalition can spout off till their blue in the face, but reality is reality.

I'll speak from personal experience. I've never in my life crossed the street to avoid anybody when I was alone. Now, if I have my wife and/or daughter with me that's a different story. I might avoid either whites or blacks, it depends on the situation. I'll do what I feel is best to ensure their safety, if it offends anyone, tough shixt.

Post Thanks / Like

Far as getting stopped driving while black, like it or not there's some reasons behind that. A disproportional number of crimes are committed by young black males. Not politically correct and you won't hear it on the news, but true nonetheless.
    DH, trying to understand fully your statement here.

Yes or no: a policeman has probable cause to pull someone over because they are black?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by jcb View Post
    DH, trying to understand fully your statement here.

Yes or no: a policeman has probable cause to pull someone over because they are black?
    No. They don't have a probable cause to pull someone over only because they're black. On the other hand, depending on the situation they do have a probable cause to pull someone over because they fit the profile of a demographic who commits 7 of 10 crimes.

The point you chose to ignore was you never hear black females of any age, middle aged and older black males complaining of DWB stops. The reason you don't is they're not the ones most apt to be criminals and the police know that.

I gave you my answer, so could you answer a couple for me?

If you were a policeman would you ever NOT pull someone over because they were black?

You're a policeman in an area where a mugging has been reported and you see 4 young people driving away, a black female, a white female, a black male, and a white male. Which one do you pull over and why? Be honest now.

Post Thanks / Like

No. They don't have a probable cause to pull someone over only because they're black. On the other hand, depending on the situation they do have a probable cause to pull someone over because they fit the profile of a demographic who commits 7 of 10 crimes.
    "Driving while black" means pulling someone over without probably cause, only the fact that they are black. It's a documented phenomenon. That's what I cited in the original post.

I gave you my answer, so could you answer a couple for me?

If you were a policeman would you ever NOT pull someone over because they were black?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Straw_man

You're a policeman in an area where a mugging has been reported and you see 4 young people driving away, a black female, a white female, a black male, and a white male. Which one do you pull over and why? Be honest now.
    All other things being equal, the black male for the very statistical reasons you mentioned. This sort of police work has been upheld time and time again in the courts and I think it's fine.

DH, I never said police shouldn't exercise judgment and common sense; I said it was wrong to pull someone over without probable cause, only because they were black. Intentional or not, your previous post seemed to condone pulling blacks over only because of the statistical prevalence of black crime. That's unconstitutional.