Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrofoils ?? Do they save gas??

I just ordered a SE SPORT hydrofoil from BPS ,,,, im hoping to save some money on fuel plus the other perks hydrofoils offer. Has anyone used any brand hydrofoil and noticed improved fuel mileage?.....

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hydrofoils ?? Do they save gas??

I had one on a tracker with with a 75 hp. I don't know that it saved on gas, but that boat would take off on plane. I have nothing to compare it, it was on the boat when I got it (no before and after comparisons).

Post Thanks / Like

Hydrofoils added to the lower unit of any boat creates more drag on the boat. More drag equals less performance. Hydrofoils can improve the "hole shot" of a boat but the trade off is decreased top end speed, handling problems in turns, and increase in MPG. There has been previous discussions on this board about this subject. Just search this board on the subject. My 2 cents......

Post Thanks / Like

A hydroplane will allow the boat to stay on plane at lower rpm's and speeds - so it will save on gas if you are traveling at low speeds. I have never had a boat that planed off like my tracker with a hydrofoil - so I guess it was worth it. A good prop that has been fine tuned (especially on higher HP motors) and proper motor set up will benefit performance more than a hydroplane will. On the other hand, I think you will see the benefits of one more than the disadvantages - I don't think you will see much improvement in MPG.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by justlookingn View Post
    Hydrofoils added to the lower unit of any boat creates more drag on the boat. More drag equals less performance. Hydrofoils can improve the "hole shot" of a boat but the trade off is decreased top end speed, handling problems in turns, and increase in MPG. There has been previous discussions on this board about this subject. Just search this board on the subject. My 2 cents......
    Hydro foils don't cause drag in the water and by no means do they slow down the top end. If you have any kind of boat and motor, the foil will be above the water line and it won't cause any drag. All a foil does is get you up on plane faster thus needing less power, which decreases fuel consumption.
    Go to www.fastbass.com and post the same question---see if 99.9% say the same thing I do.