Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Speaking of water level, Dale...

I've been watching Dale's water level and temps from afar (VA) because I'll be down there mid-April for my annual two week vacation. Seems like Dale has been below typical levels all year. Currently it looks like it's about 3½ feet low but rising slowly. Is that just due to weather conditions or is the lake being held lower for a reason? Just wondering if there's a man-made reason the level is low or not.

...BillH

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speaking of water level, Dale...

Bill,
    Dale was drawn down very low this winter to provide water for the Cumberland watershed. The primary water source for this is typically Lake Cumberland in Kentucky, but they have pulled it down some 30 ft to work on dam problems. Thus, Dale has been the back up to keep the water moving. Over the last year they have let Dale over-fill during the rainy season in order to have water during the dry season. Dale had some ramps this past winter that were unusable and many that you had to be careful on. However, all is well right now. It may be a little off for it's average level this time of year, but not near what it was this past winter. You'll be good to go when you get here. The water has been slow to warm this year as well, so I think your trip will be timed perfectly. For up to date info on the bite, you might consider joining Smalljaw at www.smalljaw.com. It's a great site for Dale fishing info and for smallmouth in particular. The guys there really share what they are biting on and where. Good luck on your trip.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Speaking of water level, Dale...

So much for the water level - looks like it's now completely full, and will probably be *high* - I can't believe a lake that size can come up so much in a matter of days.

...BillH