Search Fishin.com

Thread: KY Lake Fish

Post Thanks / Like

KY Lake Fish

A few KY Lake Bass and a couple of big Walleyes from Eagle Lake Ontario Canada.

These Walleyes weighed 10 lbs and 10.25 lb each.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0045-1-1.jpg 
Views:	574 
Size:	69.0 KB 
ID:	599   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HugeWalleyes.gif 
Views:	571 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	600  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 03-30-2008 at 10:35 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Lake's Cypress Bay.

North Side of the Entrance to Cypress Bay on KY lake. This is right on the KY side of the Bay. The TN River swings over to this side of the lake (West Side of Lake) and flows right past this high bluff. Once my dad and I caught a few nice KY Bass right up against the cliff. It was around Noon that day. I think it was in Oct but I can't remember the time of the year. The day we caught the bass was not the same day that this picture was taken. This picture was taken back in the 1940's or early 1950's. Back in the good old days before KY lake was commercialized. It was back woods habitat in those days. One room cabins with outdoor toilets were a luxury back when the lake was first flooded. We caught our KY Spots back in 1985 at this location.

The first image is a close up of the cliffs. The second image was taken from Inside the Bay looking out to the East at the Main Lake. The Cliff is on your left as you exit the bay onto the main lake.

This area is normally very rough. Any winds on the main lake from the South will whip these waters into big waves. If you can catch a nice calm day and fish this area you may catch some fish. I have fished it a lot but only one time did I actually catch fish. We had a school of KY Spotted Bass come into the shoreline and they were hitting White Bombers crank baits. We lost more fish that we caught that day. And as fast as the action was it stopped suddenly. I always knew this was a good fishing spot. But you have to be there at the right time. I'll bet I fished this spot 30 times before I actually caught fish here. We used to fish this spot in the early morning hours in April and Oct before heading out onto the main lake. The island on the Right Side of the Bay as you exit the bay is a great fishing spot too. There use to be a large telephone pole in the mouth of the bay. It marked the channel drop off. We would catch a lot of striped bass in this location. But a lot of trot lines were places across this part of the bay by the commercial fisherman back in the 1980's. If not for that this would be an ideal place to troll a crank bait for fish. I have caught a lot of Sauger along the outside edge of the island on the right. But I have not fished this area in years now.

Name:	scan0033-1.jpg 
Views:	399 
Size:	124.6 KB 
ID:	601   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0026-1.jpg 
Views:	397 
Size:	111.1 KB 
ID:	602  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 03-30-2008 at 10:53 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Lake Fish

Moose.
    I don't know squat about Ky Lake but it sure is cool to see those old pics!
    Don

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, I'll try to post a few more later on. I am still trying to figure out an easier way to post pictures in here. I can only post two at a time using this sites upload link thing.

But I can post a picture using the IMG tag. But those pictures can't be views without clicking on the links.

I like it when the message board can hold the images and show them in the posts.

Post Thanks / Like

A few more pictures from KY lake.

Name:	scan0034.jpg 
Views:	398 
Size:	49.5 KB 
ID:	603   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0025.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	41.7 KB 
ID:	604  

Post Thanks / Like

Re: KY Lake's Cypress Bay.

A satellite view of Cypress Bay.

Note: The State Line is shown on the picture. KY/TN state line. North is UP. West is left.

KY is to the north and TN to the south.

TN is wet and this part of KY is dry. So it's a short boat ride across the bay to get to the Beer. LOL

I started fishing this part of KY lake with my dad back when I was 8 years old. Don (dads friend who owned the boat/motor) finally invited me to go fishing with them. Up until that point in my life I had to stay home and watch dad leave to go to the lake. So when I was invited to go with them finally I jumped at the opportunity. I have never regretted that decision.

Dad fished this part of KY lake from the 1945 until about 1983 Oct. That was his last trip fishing this part of KY lake.

I'll have to edit this photo to show the locations of the dock and the cliffs. I'll do that and see if the edit version shows up on here later.

Name:	cypress bay on KY lake.jpg 
Views:	434 
Size:	21.9 KB 
ID:	605  
    Last edited by Moose1am; 03-31-2008 at 03:36 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Some More Pictures of the Big Catches of Largemouth Bass on KY lake.

This is the fish cleaning station at Klines. Oscar Kline ran this fishing camp when the lake first opened. He was one lucky guy to have the lake at his back door. He built 4 to 6 small cabins for his guess. The cows use to roam freely thoughout the area where he built the cabins. In the mornings (4:30am) you could hear the Whipperwill's calling.

We often left the boat dock and headed out onto the bay and then onto the main lake well before the fog lifted. But we had to hug the shorline to see where we were going. Sometimes in the fall of the year the fog would not lift off the lake until after 8 am. So we fished the bay in the early morning hours until the fog lifted and then if the lake was calm enough that day we would head out onto the main lake. We would fish Panther Creek if the lake was very calm. Or if the lake had some wind we would make our way downstream to Shannon Creek. We fished the Islands along the way. I have very strong memories of fishing this area from 1959 until Oct 1983. We started fishing Patoka Lake after that year.

Name:	scan0036.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	71.3 KB 
ID:	606   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	scan0042.jpg 
Views:	403 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	607  

Post Thanks / Like

Smile Re: KY Lake Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am View Post
    Some More Pictures of the Big Catches of Largemouth Bass on KY lake.

This is the fish cleaning station at Klines. Oscar Kline ran this fishing camp when the lake first opened. He was one lucky guy to have the lake at his back door. He built 4 to 6 small cabins for his guess. The cows use to roam freely thoughout the area where he built the cabins. In the mornings (4:30am) you could hear the Whipperwill's calling.

We often left the boat dock and headed out onto the bay and then onto the main lake well before the fog lifted. But we had to hug the shorline to see where we were going. Sometimes in the fall of the year the fog would not lift off the lake until after 8 am. So we fished the bay in the early morning hours until the fog lifted and then if the lake was calm enough that day we would head out onto the main lake. We would fish Panther Creek if the lake was very calm. Or if the lake had some wind we would make our way downstream to Shannon Creek. We fished the Islands along the way. I have very strong memories of fishing this area from 1959 until Oct 1983. We started fishing Patoka Lake after that year.

Oscar Kline died before I got there, but I worked on that boat dock for his wife, Thelma Kline for many years. I was just a child, around 12, but I would sell minnows and rent boats, cut the grass and repaint those old wooden boats for her. I was with her when she collapsed and died in 1970. I moved away shortly after that and I don't know what happened to the boat dock after that, but I know it's all gone now.

Post Thanks / Like

Cool looking old pictures. Thanks for sharing.