Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

Ceremony for Keightley

I don't know if any of you got to see this on television last night but I watched almost the whole thing. It was so tasteful and a true honor befitting such a great man. Rick Pitino spoke and litterally reduced me to a blubbering idiot. The University of Kentucky and the entire state of Kentucky has lost a true gem in Mr. Bill. Tubby wasn't there due to plane issues out of Memphis, no offense Tubby but it seems like there should have been a way to get there. Oh well I'm to judgemental sometimes. The Wildcat bench will never look the same, I'm not sure that seat can be filled by anyone.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ceremony for Keightley

I didn't even know who he was before he died, but I happened to be doing some work at an office 2 blocks from Rupp at the time of the service, and they had it playing in there. It really was a wonderful tribute. He must have been a great guy. I liked Joe B.'s story about him signing the kid's hat. For any of you that missed it, here's the gist: A little kid came up to Mr. Keightley and said, "Mr. Wildcat, would you sign my hat?" Bill said, "That's a beautiful new Kentucky hat you have there, are you sure you want me to mess it up by writing on it?" and the kid said "That K stands for Keightley as much as it does for Kentucky. You won't mess it up." Mr. Keightley signed the hat. Joe B. also talked about how during warmups, kids that they had recruited, but who had ended up at the other schools, would come up and hug Mr. Keightley. He said he didn't much like seeing it at the time, but he certainly understood it.