Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Buzzbaits, What temp

The lake is deep, but it is also clear. Those fish know whats going on up there. There are certain times of the year when topwater down there is awesome.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    Anybody ever have much luck with top water baits at Cumberland? For what ever reason(s), something inside of me tells me to not throw top water baits in Cumberland unless surface acitivity is witnessed...Don't know why I feel this way, maybe because that lake is so dag gone deep???
    Had one of my best fishing nights/days at Cumberland in late October fishing topwater. I put in at 8pm on Saturday night in late October 2004 and was hoping to catch Smallies at night with jigs. No bites at all up until 1am when I started to hear some topwater bust. Sounded like Stripers so I tied on a Super Zara Spook in Black with Gold Diamonds. Moved up to the next point and started hammering both Stripers and Smallies over the next few hours. Ended up with 13 total fish, 5 Stripers (2 over 20lbs) and 8 good quality Smallies by 4am. I was fishing the main lake points on the South side of the lake between Indian and Beaver and Otter Creeks at that time. I always liked the morning bite in the Jamestown marina so when the bite slowed at 4am, I moved to this area and caught 2 more good Stripers and several Largemouth and Smallies just before sunup. I was picking up my brother in law at the Jamestown ramp at 6am to look for some topwater Striper activity plus drag some Shiners around as well. I had one boat launch out of Jamestown and was idleing thru as I was in the middle of the topwater bite and I told him to pickup a rod for when the sun came up it would be over. He said that he would not impose on my fishing but "would be back in the morning for sure". My cell phone is ringing but I am fighting fish and know it is my brother in law so he will have to wait. I missed a good Smallie that was operator error for I was "ON POINT" so bad it was not funny. Missed a good Bucketmouth as well and had one Striper hit it is so hard it knocked the bait a good 3-4 feet in the air. The bite died, I picked up Rob and told him what I missed, but he did not believe me until the cooler lid was raised and as I was moving thru the marina to the main lake, my observer was still there and he made it clear what he had seen, Rob was not a happy camper. We ended up fishing all day and took out at 6pm that night and caught several Ky's using shiners on the bluff walls plus some good Smallies as well, a couple more good Stripers in the cooler were caught out of the jumps and several more Stripers were released that were caught in the jumps as well. 22 consecutive hours on the water for me, Rob forgot the lunch as well, I only had a couple of hours of sleep the day before and I had the 100 mile trip back to Frankfort and was starving to boot. Dropped him off at Jamestown and I went around to Pumpking Creek and took out, stopped at the Taco Bell for some Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and took a power nap in the parking lot before heading back. The water temps were in the low 60's then and it was a COLD night to boot but one way to keep warm in a Cold boat is to keep setting the hook. I plan on throwing some topwater at Ky and Barkley over the next 7 days and "think" they will hit some. Hens and I observed some topwater action at Barren a couple of weekends ago and the water temps were 50-52 plus the tourney we fished was won by a guy that caught all of his fish in a matter of minutes all on topwater. No other bites for him all day but that one little flury of topwater was the winning deal.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by biggw View Post
    ( lost two) Whats that all about --are you loseing your touch buddy lol--HAGD MAN
    George that is a big maybe, I've had alot of good fish come unbuttoned on me this spring. Including what would have been my personal best striper Monday night. Maybe I'm holding my mouth wrong, lol.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Chubminnow View Post
    Anybody ever have much luck with top water baits at Cumberland? For what ever reason(s), something inside of me tells me to not throw top water baits in Cumberland unless surface acitivity is witnessed...Don't know why I feel this way, maybe because that lake is so dag gone deep???
    Oh Chub, I could write a novel on this one. When the water warms above 55 degrees I almost ALWAYS have my Sammy or Spook or secret APB weapon tied on to sling in the morning and afternoon. I've already caught a few Kentuckies at Cumberland this year on the Spook. I love it in late April back in the coves because it will catch Spots, Slickheads, Brown bass, and them big linesides will blast'em sometimes too. Sling one Chub and believe they will hit,""IF YOU THROW IT THEY WILL COME"".

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    now mhall, u must have forgot that old trusty trailor hook. put that thing on there and you wont have 2 get off

*as far as cumberland goes, i would think a sammy or a spook would wear those smallies out in that clear water. only been there once though.
    Wormy where the heck have you been hiding we ain't seen you post in awhile. Ya know I almost never use a trailer hook and usually have no problems. I'm just loosing fish this year, but hey I'm catching a few too, lol. Just my luck I guess.

Don Smith Guest

We had two pigs weighed in at the National Championship on Cumberland last week. one right at 7, and one well over 7 lbs. One of those fish came on a buzzbait. Not sure where, but he was very excited to say the least.

Don
    Fishers of Men
    Central Region Director

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Don Smith View Post
    We had two pigs weighed in at the National Championship on Cumberland last week. one right at 7, and one well over 7 lbs. One of those fish came on a buzzbait. Not sure where, but he was very excited to say the least.

Don
    Fishers of Men
    Central Region Director
    Don, SHHHHHHHHHHHH.............

Post Thanks / Like

ive been in hiding for a while mhall. but im ready to get fishing now!! im am going to a small lake tonight and im going to give them all the buzz they can handle. its 80 degrees here today around huntington. i hope to catch that first topwater fish this evening!!!!!!

*i would be wet in my pants if i caught a 7lb. smallie on a buzzbait.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bigwormy View Post
    ive been in hiding for a while mhall. but im ready to get fishing now!! im am going to a small lake tonight and im going to give them all the buzz they can handle. its 80 degrees here today around huntington. i hope to catch that first topwater fish this evening!!!!!!

*i would be wet in my pants if i caught a 7lb. smallie on a buzzbait.
    Wormy, not sure but I think that 7 was a slickhead???? At least that is what I heard and think I read on their website.