Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Gas Prices

Post Thanks / Like

Gas Prices

I am paying almost 4 times what I paid for gas back in 2000.

I put 11.67 gallons in my truck this evening after I got done fishing and it cost me $40. But a 20 oz bottle of Aquifina Water was selling for $.99.

One dollar for 20 oz of water and $3.36 for a gallon of gasoline. And that's the regular cheap unleaded gas too.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas Prices

heck 3.36 is cheap............it 3.50 a gal around Indy

Post Thanks / Like

Look at it this way you payed $6.336 dollars per gallon of water that twice what you payed for gas now thats crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

It's $ 3.55 a gallon here on the outskirts of the Gene Snyder Freeway....

Post Thanks / Like

Side note on the water:

As I have said before I use to work in an Environmental Testing Laboratory. I ran many of the tests required by USEPA. I then ended up supervising a group of very smart chemists who worked for us. We were a subsidiary of Litton Industries, the people who build the submarines for the US Government back then. Our HQ was out of Dallas TX and I believe the company is now owned by Haliburton, a name which a lot of you might recognize.

Anyway on of the things I like to do is sample water source and test them for the various chemicals found in the water. I use to get paid to do that but these days I do it for fun and to find out if the water I am fishing in is OK or contaminated.

One quick way to test the water is to see if it will carry a current. There is a field device called a "Conductivity Meter" that does this. HACH is the name of a company that sells these devices. Basically they try to pass an electrical current though a water sample and then the display will show you how much if any of the current went though the water from one electrode to the other electrode.

Pure water will not carry a current. But dirty water that's full of Chemicals (ions is what we chemist call them) will carry a current. Just like a car battery has sulfuric acid in it to carry the current.

So one day I was playing around and saw this commercial "Reverse Osmosis" device in the grocery store. They were selling water that had been run through this machines Reverse Osmosis Filter System. I bough a gallon of this water to test with the conductivity meter. I had a sample of my tap water (Horrible water quality) and a sample of the Evansville's Tap water and the RO sample. I tested all three of them. Now I would expect to find that the RO sample had the least amount of ions in it. But it was not much better than my tap water. In fact the City of Evansville's tap water tested best.

So I decided I needed some ultra pure water that had been filter the way that NASA would. I went to the Culligan Man Business and got so ultra pure water. Our lab used to buy purification tanks from this business to give us our laboratory grade 1 water that we used in the lab. Research grade water has a conductivity of less than 2 micromohs. So it's very pure and will not pass a current though that water.

Now the only other water that I have found and tested and found to be ultra pure was the AQUIFINA Brand. I found it to be almost as pure as the Culligan Research Grade water in the lab I used to work at.

I now use the Aquifina Water to rinse off the probe of the conductivity meter before testing the next sample

Bottom line here is that you better know what's in the water you are buying as it may just be TAP Water and not better than the water that's brought out of the Ohio River and run though a sand filter and then chlorinated to kill bacteria. There could be hundreds of organic chemicals in your drinking water although they are in minute amounts most of the time.

Most ground water in the USA is contaminated. According to USEPA over 50% of the ground water is contaminated. Once the ground water is contaminated there is virtually no way to clean it up.

So if you are going to pay 99 cents for 20 oz of water make it Aquifina Water.

This is a true story and I don't work for any company selling bottled water. I don't drink the stuff myself. I depend on the bottles of Diet Coke and Wild Turkey Whiskey to purify their water that they use to make those products. And I drink the ground water that my city supplies to me. Yuck!!!

A good home water purification device needs more than one type of filter to get the water purified. Carbon alone won't get ever thing out of the water. You need a paper or cellulose prefiter to get the big particles out of the water. Then you need to send that water though an Reverse Osmosis filter and then though two more ion exchange filters. Finally you should send the water though an activated charcoal filter before finally sending the water though a micron bacterial filter that filters out any bacteria that was growing in the Activated Charcoal Filter.

And it's a must to change the filters periodically. Monthly for the pre filter. It will appear snow white when new and after only one month it will be dark brown from the sediment that was filters out of the tap water. The RO filter must be changed every 6 months of it won't be effective anymore. The Ion Exchange cartridge have to be replace with new ones each 6 months to a year. The activated carbon filter needs replacing ever 6 months to a year. Each one made for the Millipore System that I used to get research grade water at the EPA office was very expensive. They cost hundreds of dollars to replace them yearly.

Many people buy these cheap whole house filters and never change the filters in them. They might as well be drinking the river water.

If you get a system get a good one and replace the filters as recommended. Only then will you have good water to drink. Unless you just go out and buy the Aquifina bottled water.

Spring water is nothing more than ground water that's been put inside a plastic bottle and sold to you. Most spring water (ground water) is contaminated anyway. Ground water is full of bacteria.

If you must buy drinking water buy Distilled Water or water that has been PURIFIED. Purified is the key word to look for. Right now we have virtually no regulations on the quality of the bottle water being sold in the USA.

At least the city water is regulated by USEPA to some degree.

The Commercial Reverse Osmosis Water dispenser that I tested at the Grocery Store was not maintained and probably had been using the same RO filter for years. That's why the water was not being treated property. The Conductivity test is a quick and easy test to do. If you find high conductivity in the water then you can run a series of test to find out what chemicals (inorganic ones) are in the water. Sulfates, Chlorides, and many other elements can be dissolved in the water making it conduct electricity though the water. Any salts added to the water will carry a current.

Now you know why I mentioned the Aquifina Ad in my previous posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sore Thumb II View Post
    Look at it this way you payed $6.336 dollars per gallon of water that twice what you payed for gas now thats crazy.

Post Thanks / Like

Meet the car of the FUTURE now!

I'd love to have one of these. Oprea can you give me a new car? LOL

Hydrogen Fuel Cells look like they have a bright future ahead of them.

If they can power a military submarine for a month underwater and or power the space station above the earth then they should work well in making our cars go from point A to point B.

Actually this link is about a internal combustion type engine that runs on Hydrgen gas. It's not a fuel cell electric car which is what I would like to see developed No moving parts in the fuel cell. Just the electric motor has moving parts. All this country needs is a way to generate hydrogen from water using electricty and then a way to tranport and distribute the hydrogen to filling stations or homes. Imagine having your own home filling station of Liquid Hydrogen in your garage. OH wel,l I can dream can't I?

http://www.greencar.com/features/bmw-hydrogen/

I saw a ad at the top of the fishin.com web page and clicked on it. It lead me to this link. So this is one of the advertizer or sponsor of www.fishin.com
    Last edited by Moose1am; 04-16-2008 at 12:08 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I had to cut down on driving to Cumberland night fishing for stripers last year.. With gas prices now, I may not get to go.. Unless, somebody wants to take me in thier boat..

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Meet the car of the FUTURE now!

Quote Originally Posted by Moose1am View Post
    I'd love to have one of these. Oprea can you give me a new car? LOL

Hydrogen Fuel Cells look like they have a bright future ahead of them.

If they can power a military submarine for a month underwater and or power the space station above the earth then they should work well in making our cars go from point A to point B.

Actually this link is about a internal combustion type engine that runs on Hydrgen gas. It's not a fuel cell electric car which is what I would like to see developed No moving parts in the fuel cell. Just the electric motor has moving parts. All this country needs is a way to generate hydrogen from water using electricty and then a way to tranport and distribute the hydrogen to filling stations or homes. Imagine having your own home filling station of Liquid Hydrogen in your garage. OH wel,l I can dream can't I?

http://www.greencar.com/features/bmw-hydrogen/

I saw a ad at the top of the fishin.com web page and clicked on it. It lead me to this link. So this is one of the advertizer or sponsor of www.fishin.com

I saw where a guy invented an electric car that would go so far, I can't remember exactly, lets say 20 miles, using electric only. The motor would automatically start after that 20 miles so you could keep going. But, if everyone had one, you could go to the grocerry, shopping, all the little errands without burning any gasoline at all. Just think of the results of that. He is the same guy who just invented a way to kill cancer cells.

Post Thanks / Like

The amazing thing to me is how some places are charging like $3.20/gallon and other stations sell the same gallon for $3.55. One thing someone turned me onto was the gas buddy site. Participants ride around and make note of gas prices in their area. They then type the information into the gas buddy web site. So anyone can just go to the site and type in a location and they tell you the nearest & cheapest gas stations in the area. So no matter where you are you can find the cheapest area gas. It's a free service.

I use this about every third tank but I bet if I used it on each tank filling I'd save a few hundred per year.

Post Thanks / Like

well be glad you dont own a diesel 4.09 in frankfort

Post Thanks / Like

Record gas prices are the result of misinformed american voters electing George Bush, whose family has been in the oil business for generations. It's a no-brainer: The Bush family wins and the hard working middle class are the losers!!!!!!!!So here's to you all you Bush voters....How ya like him now?????

Post Thanks / Like

Unhappy Re: Gas Prices

Look at my piggy bank after I bought gas today!!!

http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/4...100QcOGLls5bsb