Search Fishin.com

Post Thanks / Like

A question for some of you cumberland guys

I enjoy the bass and striper fishing on big C. But what I'm wondering, since I truly love bluegill fishing over most of the fish, are there any shell crackers in the big C. the crappie fishing there to me isn't worth the effort, and the gills i did and do catch at cumberland are not as big as the ones on dale.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: A question for some of you cumberland guys

My wife can catch those big bulls at the big C. We have never in many years of fishing Cumberland ever caught a shell cracker, not one. I also have never heard of anybody else ever catching one. There are monster bullgill there if you time it right and fish deep for them. One day my wife had a 11 and 3/4 inch bluegill, it looked like a dinner plate. Came off of a tree top in 40 feet of water. Same day she had several over 9 inches and two more over 10 inches. Crappie fishing while numbers usually aren't to be had they are also good in size. I've caught them up to 16 inches. The guys down there that plant stuff and have honey holes catch decent numbers with most fish being sizable of 14 inches and up. Quantity in my opinion is not that good, but quality is very good. Larry for the big bulls when you find bedding areas in the spring, forget the next to the bank fish and back off and go deep gradual until you find them, they are there. That's where them ole big bulls will be hanging.

Post Thanks / Like

never caught a shellcracker here. i have also done better with big gills at dale. will try mhall suggestions though, thanks!

Post Thanks / Like

I've also never caught a shellcracker on Cumberland, but have caught some really nice ones on Dale. Cumberland has never been known as a great panfish lake, but the crappie fishing can be decent. But, it's not easy to find them if you're not dialed into them. First time crappie fishermen rarely have much luck here.

Post Thanks / Like

one of the areas on cumberland that I tried for gills was high and dry last summer, have scoped out another spot, that looks like it has potential. I have caught nice shell crackers at dale, but lately it has turned into a zoo,with PWCs houseboats and basshaulers, its almost not worth the aggrivation.

Post Thanks / Like

No Shell crackers that I know of. There are some major bull gills, though. About now is usually a good time to find them. They can be found suspended off the banks. Slow roll a small roostertail (black and gold blade) all the way back to the boat off the flat banks. Change depths until you find them and tip it with a small peice of worm if they are picky.

I think they go really deep after it warms. Of course some can be found around the docks. through the summer.

Post Thanks / Like

I have not tried them, but the striper guide I use catches a lot of shellcrackers. He said he usually takes a week off from guiding when they go on the nest so he and his wife can fish for them all week. He also catches them occassionally while bottom-bouncing crawler rigs for walleye. Those are always big 'uns, at least 11".