Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Baitcaster Advice needed

Ok...I aquired an older baitcaster and I am having some MAJOR issues with the "bird's nesting". Can anyone give me some usable advice on settings (are they different for jigging vs spinners, ect), ways to practice getting some distace (I am currently good to about....well if the pole is 6'6, then....13 ft , or any other aspect that you found useful when you started out? I appreciate any input I can get as my next KBFN event is in two weeks (and being as I have some time on my hands between interview I can't get) I want to try and use it for jigging at least. Thanks for any insight or help.

"baitcaster bird nesting expert",

Rob

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Baitcaster Advice needed

I'm no expert,but here goes.

On the reel handle side of the reel there should be a round knob. This controls the "tension" on the spool. Tighten it down till the lure [U]slowly[U]unwinds. Try casting with the "tension" tight and your thumb on the spool till the birds nest disappear. Then loosen the "tension" knob a little at a time. The spool should stop unreeling when your lure touches the floor.

There may also be internal brakes. Sorry, those I'm no good at adjusting.

Post Thanks / Like

Which reel is it. Most newer ones have two control mechanisms. Breaks and the tension knob mentioned above. These are to help control back lashing at both the beginning of a cast and the end. Of course the very best anti-backlash system is the thumb.
    If NOTHING can control the backlash replace the line. It is amazing what a difference a properly matched line will do. Practice with the proper size "plug". I have different size rigs to handle different size baits. Have the reel serviced, or do it yourself if you know how. Make sure it is greased and oiled in the proper places. Don't "over throw". Some rigs are not meant to be casted a mile. Trying to throw too far is asking for trouble. Get in the habit of twisting your wrist so your pinky is higher on the cast. This causes the spool to be more vertical and allows it to spin more free.

Sorry these tips were not organized better.. LOL

Post Thanks / Like

Rob, the best advice I could give has more to do with casting technique than reel settings. On the lake I was fishing last week, the way we were fishing long casts were a must and I got lots of reminders about what causes backlashes.

1. Make sure your rod is "loaded up" with the weight of the lure before you let it fly. There's probably lots of ways to do this, but I do it by making a little half-circle around my head with my rod instead of taking it straight back.

2. If the wind is against you, lower your expectations and cast along a lower trajectory.

3. Duayne has an excellent point above about using your thumb. If you can learn to feather the spool during the first few yards of the cast then ease off, you've got it made.

Post Thanks / Like

Another thing that will help is to stand on your porch or other elevated surface to simulate being in a boat. This will help when you get on the water .

Post Thanks / Like

Talking Re: Baitcaster Advice needed

Also when casting, let go of the spool and let the line start coming out about 1/2 way through your cast. They arent like Zebco's or spin cast reels that allow you to shoot your lure with a snap motion. Good luck. Practice alot and many different ways Before you get to the water.

Post Thanks / Like

I found this invaluable when I first started using a baitcaster.

http://www.fishing-tackle-repair.com...setup-101.html

Post Thanks / Like

Get the tension set first then set the brakes.

To set the tension...tie on your bait/lure. Hold the rod out straight parallel to the ground. Have the rod tip about 4 feet high. Press the thumbar like you were going to make a cast. Then loosen the tension knob behind the cranking handle until the bait starts to slowly fall. Do not have your thumb on the spool...let it free fall. You want the bait to fall at a slow steady speed and when it hits the ground the spool should stop.

If the spool continus to turn and over run tighten the tension. If the lure/bait does not want to fall loosen the tension.

If the birds nest is starting to form as soon as you make the cast and get bigger as more line comes off adjust the brakes. They will be located on the oppsite side of the reel crank.

Pending on how the reel is made there is two ways that brakes can be adjusted. Some reels have a knob that you adjust. Some you have to take the side plate off to activate or disable the brake.

If the birds net only starts to happen at the end of the cast adjust the tension knob located on the same side as the crank handle.

R19

Post Thanks / Like

You have some great tipshere on how to cast a bait caster however when you get a birds nest tighten the drag put your thumb on the reel and push down hard turn the reel handle this will straighten the loops push the release and pull the line out if you get another loop repeat. You will be suprised how this works. AND DO NOT OVER CAST.

Post Thanks / Like

smooth motion dont jerk when u cast...make sure ur brake is set correctly and with a good weighted lure...takes a lot of practice but well worth it

Post Thanks / Like

Spool tension is the key start with short cast and work from there. Rome wasn't built in a day. Good Luck and Good Fishin

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all for the great input. I had no clue there were this many "tricks" of the trade, that's for sure. I appreciate everyones advice and I will be putting it to use in the morning (out on the lawn to start with). The biggest issue I am having with casts over 20 feet is DIRECTION. I can't seem to figure out the trick to getting it to go "where I want it to go" for some reason. I am casting it in one direction and it tends to go about 45 degrees to my left off course. I am only using a 1/2 ounce weight though and I may need to up that a bit to start off, would that be correct? Thanks again for all the help guys.

Rob