Search Fishin.com

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Gwinn Island Friday nighters and Pandora Tues nighters,

Just a few plugs for some of the local tourneys.

The longest running tourney on the lake with excellent payouts and good boat numbers. The Friday nighters on Herrington out of Gwinn Island have started. Took 13+ pounds last Friday night with a 5-1 big fish. Tournament hours 7pm-1am. $45.00 entry, 6 fish limit, $10.00 membership. Must fish 6 tournaments to be eligible for classic. Last years classic paid $1500 to win, $1250 for second, with 10 places or so paid out.

I would say the highest boat per tourney on the lake. The Tuesday nighters on Herrington out of Pandora have started and basicically the same as Gwinn's except for 5 fish limit and hours are 7:30 pm-midnight every Tuesday night.

The Thursday nighter out of Jimbos has started but I'm not sure of the details other than hours are 6pm-10:30pm every Thursday evening.

Come on out and check out these tourneys along with the other Opens coming up and don't forget the Angler's Outpost series...big bucks..with great turnouts (31 at the last tourney).

See ya'll there.
    bassmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gwinn Island Friday nighters and Pandora Tues nighters,

Gwinn Island has a good tournament on Friday evenings-the only problem is the ramp and the fact that this situation of launching your boat is tough at times and some guys opt to go to the Keys location to launch to avoid problems then having to pay 2 launch fees because it is included in the Gwinn entry fee. I fished a few of them along with the Thursday tournament at Bryants, although that tournament is too short. Needs to be longer. I do not think that Gwinn Island has the longest running tournament on the Lake. The Pandora Tournament took over from the original Chimney Rock Lunker Hunters Organization that was established back in the 1970's when my Father and his buddies fished them. I believe they too were held on Thursdays for many years. The newer generation of guys took the tournament and moved it to Pandora in 1997 where it has been ever since. I do know that the Pandora Tournament is offering some very good incentives to the fishermen this year and I believe my partner and I are going to fish them along with the Tuesday Nighters. Looking forward to some good fishing on the lake. Good luck to everyone. Rickster

Post Thanks / Like

I know that the Friday nighters at Pandora have not going since 1997. They haven't had it for several years (5 or 6) but I had heard that it was starting back up. The Friday nighters at Gwinns has had and will always have a great turnout even when the Pandora tourneys were going on Friday nights years back. I've fished 'em for 20+ years and my partner longer than that, I'm sure that some of the guys will fish both tourneys, some will fish just the Pandora, and some will fish just Gwinns. Either way, it's up to the individual. Good luck to you guys on getting the tourney started back up and I'll see ya on Tuesdays for sure. Most all of the tourney on the lake (don't know about Friday night Pandora) includes the launch in the entry fee, most of the dock owners demand it, if they're smart.
    Listen guys, as all of you already know ALL of these tourney have something to offer for everyone. I'm not trying to point out any down sides to any of them and they ALL have them, even the Friday night Pandora tourney has some as many of the guys I have fished with and fished against on Herrington have stated. Just trying to promote the possibilites, it's good for the lake. I'm sure If the money is there they will come.

bassmaster

Post Thanks / Like

Hey bassmaster,
    It's time again. We'll see you guys on Friday night at Gwinns. Are you fishing next Tuesday night? Talked to some of the guys and I'm sure most of us will be there Friday (Lord willing). Was down at the boat place the other day and everyone's getting fired up. See ya man,
    Loomis55

Post Thanks / Like

Once again....not that it matters, but I thought I would clear the air regarding the actual date we started the Pandora series back some years ago when the Chimney Rock folks gave up the tourney. The 1st tournament that was help at Pandora was in March 1998...they started in the daytime with 6 tournaments and ran for many years after that. I still have the sheets of who entered and participated,who won, how many fish the teams had as well as payout for the field all the way through the Classic at the conclusion of each season. We "averaged" a minimum of over 275 active members during those years. When the tournaments were left behind the members scattered over the territory, fishing different series,Bfl,USA BASS,Midwest,B.A.S.S. among a few, which dropped the numbers of these local events dramatically, not only from the standpoint of the weekly series but the Open Tournaments. During these years...an Open Tournament on Herrington Lake had easily 100-150 boats on average...and recent years have seen the depletion of participation to a field of 50-80 boats on average. We fully intend to get back the tournament scene here on a local basis. The price of fuel is crazy at best and we feel the tournament angler that likes the competition will fish locally before spending teh extra funds to participate miles away from home. We all know there are exceptions to this rule, but for the most part we believe this. Without question the folks at Gwinn Island deserve to have a following of folks that support their tournament and for that we wish them the best of luck..after all- it's just fishing....after all Who knows.....if handled corrrectly both these tournaments could feed off each other and benefit the entire Lake Tournament situation. Good luck to each. John

Post Thanks / Like

Interesting ? Once again..I stand corrected? What I meant was that in hasn't RAN CONTINOUSLY since 1998, I never said that it wasn't started in 1998. I hope I didn't mislead anyone? I just did not know that there was a tourney out of Pandora on FRIDAY NIGHTS for the last several years. I knew there was one started in 1998 but I'm still sure it hasn't been in operation for the last 3-5 years, until now (correct me if I'm wrong). Anyways good luck in starting it back up and I'm sure that all tourneys involved will prosper.
    Hey LOOMIS55, will see ya tonight if the tornados don't hit, and I won't be able to make next Tuesday night due to work.
    bassmaster