Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Gas.........

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Gas.........

This may get moved but I think it pertains to fishing and should stay on this forum. How much has it affected you and are you going much less. It is really starting to slow me down. The wife says I'm spending too much and as bad as I hate to admit it she just may be right. I live so far away from all the lakes it's killing me. The only sport/hobby I've got other than hunting that I love to do and I can't afford to do it anymore. I had to vent as gas here around town just hit 3.75 per gallon, it's a joke, supply and demand my arse. Maybe I should just move to Jamestown become a bum, mow yards for gas money and let the government take care of me. I'll become what I call a government baby. All I need is a little shelter, alot of food, I like to eat, I can hurt some groceries, and I'll be close enough to the lake so gas won't break me, what a plan, LOL.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gas.........

I use to go at least once a week somewhere, even if it was a small lake like Willisburg that wasnt to far from home. Now i only go once a month, and it really ***** to think that a bunch of camel jockeys are keeping me from doing the only sport left that i really enjoy anymore. The wonderful deadbeats in congress need to get off their high paid butts and do something about it, how about getting rid of all the taxes on gas, just until it drops some, or our salaries catch up, if they ever do. My wife was spending $180.00 a week in gas just to get to work. Its crazy, and i have even heard that $11.00 a gallon is not out of the question, when it gets that high, if it ever does, it will kill America. I was thinking about getting a larger boat, but my 60hp 4 stroke is looking better all the time.

Post Thanks / Like

yea the gas has absolutely killed my fishing at Cumberland. I used to go at least once a month all year long and i would fish down in the cumberland river for stripers too. I also love Dale Hollow. Now with gas as high as it is i have only been striper fishing 5 times is the past 2 years and only on Dale once. The good news is i am going to be at Dale for 5 days starting this weekend. I live in Northern Ky and i have had to start fishing Brookville in Indiana more because i just can't afford to go to Cumberland like i used to. I even have a free place to stay at Cumberland but it costs me at least $250 in gas for a weekend trip so i just can't go and spend that money. Someone needs to do something. I read that in Iraq their gas is 5 cents a gallon and even in Venezeula their gas is 14 cents. I would be happy to pay 2 dollars the way things are now but i don't think we will ever see that again.

Post Thanks / Like

ya gas realy stinks right now but we did it to or selfs when we voted bush back in office. i have never voted in my life till this last election where i did not vote for bush. everybody was blinded by his terror threats all the time. the country was always in red alert or high alert. now that his term is almost up he needs to make all the money he can. i cant belive people can be so blind to whats going on in or own country. people are to worried about who is the next american idol or who is getting voted off the island. or even what celebs are braking up or having a baby or what ever. there better be a big change by the next pres. or america is in trouble. just my opion

Post Thanks / Like

OK, here we go again. I was going to keep my mouth shut, but because someone interjected politics into the matter I had to speak up. The high gas prices are not a result of some conspiracy cooked up by the oil companies. And, contrary to the opinion of Mr. "Smuckey", it is not some greedy attempt by the Bush administration to "make all the money he can". THE PRESIDENT, NOR THE CONGRESS, HAS ANY CONTROL OVER THE PRICE OF GAS, THEY DO HOWEVER CONTROL THE RATE AT WHICH IT IS TAXED AND REGULATE WHERE IT CAN BE DRILLED FOR DOMESTICALLY. And what is your beloved Democratic controlled congress doing? Not a darned thing except complain about the president. Why, because neither of them can do a thing.... is called a F-R-E-E M-A-R-K-E-T E-C-O-N-O-M-Y. I don't want them to be able to do anything about it, because if the can control them they can control us all.

While this may be hard for some of you to stomach here it is. The reason for the high price of gas is two fold. First and foremost it is the weakness of the dollar. The lower the value of the dollar the less buys. Secondly it IS a function of supply and demand. If we can drill for our own or convince OPEC (fat chance) to produce more crude oil, the price will drop.

The breakdown:
    Barrel of Oil = $120.00 (50 gal)
    # of gallons of gas per barrel = approx 35-40 (depending on grade)
    $120.00/37.5 = $3.20 = + refining costs and transportation + state tax + .18 federal tax

So you can see that the profit (and heaven forbid the oil companies make a profit) is minimal. The reason for the large quarterly profits posted by the oil companies is the extremely high demand.

And what about the effect of the penalties on those profits proposed by our good friends on the left? Well... no company pays taxes. They simply pass that increase along to you and I, its that simple.

I realize that this hurts everyone, but right now there is nothing we can do except weather the storm. It is not the fault of any one president, congress, or party. The blame rests on all of our shoulders because for too long we have been dependant on foreign sources of oil instead of drilling for our own in conjunction with the development alternative fuel sources (not ethanol.... we have all seen the effect of that on food prices and supply). It cannot last for ever, eventually the dollar will rebound and, hopefully, we will drill for our own sources of oil.... caribou be damned.

I will now get down off of my soap box.

PLEASE MOVE THIS POST TO THE "OFF TOPIC DISCUSSION BOARD"

Keep on chuckin'
    Last edited by Stonewall2002; 04-30-2008 at 09:08 AM. Reason: spelling

Post Thanks / Like

A temporary relief in the gas tax is one thing we do not want IMHO. Congress will need to get the money somewhere and will raise taxes to do it. Once the gas tax is re-instated, we get to keep all the tax increases that were meant to off-set it. A short time of savings = a lifetime of higher taxes. No thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

The last time I went fishin (19-20Apr2008), I had to put $88 in my truck and $45 in my boat. I make a good living and have no complaints. I'm better off than most. However, since this is my only real hobby, and my golf scores lately can attest to that, fishin will happen it's just a matter of where. My favorites are C-River, C-Lake and Dale in that order. Being from Louisville, that's a full tank in my truck round trip. If it hits $4 a gallon (which is knocking at the door), that's $120 just for the truck. I see Ohio River and Southern Indiana in my future more consistently than in the past. I'm with 'wishniwasfishn', my 50HP 4-stroke is lookin better all the time. Bottom line, fishin just as much just closer to home. Unfortunately, the options locally are a far, far cry from the favorites listed above.

Post Thanks / Like

I usually ignore posts charged with either politics or opinions but this one is too much to resist...

To answer the original question, I watch every gallon. Honestly though I always have. I used to go to Cumberland by myself whenever I got the chance. Now I have to talk myself into it unless I can get a buddy to go and split the costs. Sadly it is about an hour or more to most of the places I like to fish. I guess I will just have to learn to like going to Herrington more. If anybody figures out how to tow an 18' bass boat with a motorcycle, let me know. 50 mpg beats the heck out of 18 mpg.

Blaming the Pres for these oil prices is shortsighted and incorrect. I agree he is due some of the blame but Congress has much more power to regulate anything in this country than the Pres. In almost all cases, Congress has to pass a law to effect change. The Pres can make executive orders but those are extremely limited compared to the power of Congress to pass a law.

Supply and demand is a very large part of the high prices no matter what anyone wants to believe. Here in the US, we burn huge amounts of oil (and we will for many more years). Each year this amount increases due to new industrial demands and more and more drivers on the road. Further supply and demand is a world wide issue. China is now beyond the US in oil consumption. Better still, most of the Chinese people still do not use much oil. As their economy continues to grow and more of the Chinese get more income, they are going to also burn more and more oil. For all our lovely tree-hugging efforts to buy into the Global Warming hoax (my opinion), whatever decrease in demand we create, China, India, and all the other developing countries will make-up. To further restrict supply, we have not build a new refinery in 30 years. It is hard for me to fathom how we could continue to match the rising demand for gas in this country without any new facilities to produce it.

My suggestion is to increase OUR supply. Currently China is slant drilling off the coast of Cuba and taking oil from the Gulf Of Mexico that we should be gaining. I also have a big issue with the complete restriction of the ANWAR reserve to new drilling. If we would drill these untapped regions and restrict the oil to the US market only, our supply would go up and we could at least curtail the rise in the cost of oil for the US.

I suggest each of you write your Congressional representatives and encourage them to drill some more and possibly encourage one of those big bad oil companies to build a few new multi-billion dollar refineries.

Post Thanks / Like

Stonewall2002 is right on target I heard today an environmentalist complaining that New York was looking at taking off the state tax on gasoline and the environmentalist was saying we do not want cheap gas. We are finally getting people to stop driving. And making gas cheaper would be like giving alcohol to a drunkard. If we would just open Anwar for drilling and cut the red tape to build refineries the oil nations would raise oil production and that would drop oil price just to keep us from drilling new fields.

We need to produce oil domestically and when the price comes down we buy there oil and save ours.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm definitely taking the boat out less, and confining my bank-fishing more to Miles Park and Fisherman's, instead of adding another 30 or so miles to the round trip and going to Tom Wallace.

Post Thanks / Like

sorry if i up set anybody eather way if who ever is at fault something needs to be done about and by the way i am not herting for money i can go fish where i want but with 4 kids its hard to do that. so make it $50.00 a gal. i dont care i am just looking out for the average hard working man that nobody cares about. because the working man is working to pay for gas to go to work. i may not be cought up in all the political stuff and did not know that making a coment about the pres. would start this much contraversy. all i know is what I see and we had never had high gas prices till bush was command. and comming from the oil buisness it smells kinda fishey to me.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs down Re: Gas.........

Saw on the news last night. Record breaking profits for BP and Shell in the first quarter. This maybe because of the higher demand but were talking billions here.