Search Fishin.com

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much do you tip a guide?

I have only been in this situation once, not really a guide I guess but it was in Fla. 4 of us paid 100 a piece to charter a boat, caught a ton of mackeral and tipped the mate 30 a piece, because he worked his butt off for 4 of us and even better he was orginally from Madisonville. He actually called and cancelled twice because the weather wasn't very good, said " I will still go if you want but you won't do any good, just a waste of your money." And after talking with some folks on the dock, he was right, those 2 days were a waste for people so I think he more than deserved it.

Post Thanks / Like

I don't know I can't afford one, lol.
    Likes GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

I do not base my tip on the amount of fish we catch. I have been out with Dave Stewart a few times and I have a trip setup with him this year and always learn from him. In my mind a good guide will help you with techniques not just put you on some fish. This to me is worth more then catching a boat full of fish.

I ask myself what is it worth for the lessions that I learned that day. All in all the price that a guide charges to what you learn is cheap IMHO.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the advice fella's. I am looking forward to a great day on the river!

Post Thanks / Like

HOLY CRAP!!!! Where was this thread a few weeks ago? I had no idea you were supposed to tip a guide, never even heard it mentioned before.

Sorry Dave, I'll make up for it in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by worm1 View Post
    HOLY CRAP!!!! Where was this thread a few weeks ago? I had no idea you were supposed to tip a guide, never even heard it mentioned before.

Sorry Dave, I'll make up for it in the future.
    Kevin...not to worry...I knew you did not know that and actually I never take it personal if I don't get a tip unless I know the person that I guided has zillions of dollars and doesn't tip...lol. Happens all the time.
    Likes aceoky liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

This is good to know stuff, cause about 3 months ago (when I was still working my dad, brother-in-law, cousin and I went on a guided striper trip and stuggled with this same issue. The guide had given us a "military discount" off the normal $300/day trip and made in $250. We debated it, dad IS CHEAP, and decided that we should tip the guy 20%, and thus it basically cost us the same as a normal trip would have anyway. Glad to know he was not insulted by that amount, after reading the "guides point of view". Thanks for the info.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cantcatch View Post
    I have only gone out with a guide a couple of times but didnt even think about tipping him. I paid him for his services, I guess if he did something exceptionally great I could give him a little more, but to me this is NOTHING like tipping a waitress, a waitress is paid way below minimum wage and depends upon his/her tips to make a living. Tell me if I am wrong but this is just my 2 cents.

When I use to go to the barber I NEVER tipped him either, maybe I am just a cheap skate?

OK Mr PINK!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by gforcetrivers View Post
    OK Mr PINK!

Now that’s funny.

If you don’t tip you are a scumbag. It is that simple.

Post Thanks / Like
    I paused my guiding career 20 years ago and am looking to get back in again. Tips went from 0, to over 100% of trip price. As Mr. Stewart pointed out there are many factors, but it primarily comes down to the clients' views on tipping.
    Trust me I'm cheap, 1 haircut=a set of clippers that does the job for years.
    As a former guide tipping is something I don't skimp on(client view). When you find a great guide, you have found an entire network.
    What client gets called when a cancellation comes up, and it's going to be epic?
    Who can find another boat, bait supplier, launch, guide-if something drastic happens?
    Who knows great guides and great locations if you are going someplace else?
    The best guides I know often shake hands and book it up again a year out, and both parties are looking forward to it, no matter what the fishing is.
    My $0.02

Post Thanks / Like

Several thats

I charge 300$ for 6 hours for 2 people.
    If they are not put on fish they get a free return trip
    If they miss fish, or fish after I have advised not to
    Come then no free trip.

I understand what it cost my customer to get to me
    travel lodging fees lic. Etc. My mind set is I have charged the customer
    what I need. ( I have never given a tip back. Wink)
    Likes GeoFisher, waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by cantcatch View Post
    I have only gone out with a guide a couple of times but didnt even think about tipping him. I paid him for his services, I guess if he did something exceptionally great I could give him a little more, but to me this is NOTHING like tipping a waitress, a waitress is paid way below minimum wage and depends upon his/her tips to make a living. Tell me if I am wrong but this is just my 2 cents.

When I use to go to the barber I NEVER tipped him either, maybe I am just a cheap skate?
    I see it just like you, it’s the guides job to charge the price he thinks he can get, if he says 300 bucks for a half day, that’s what I would pay him, no tip even if it was the trip of a lifetime, it’s a job like if you had your roof replaced on your house, if the roofers started and finished your roof and charged you 6 thousand bucks for the job, would he get a tip for doing the job, and it is nothing like tipping a waiter, and I don’t give them a set % either, I do tip waiters about 98% of the time but not always, to me a tip is something they earn, if they keep my drink filled, they get a tip if I run out of drink before i’m Finished eating, no tip.