Search Fishin.com

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

How much do you tip a guide?

I'm heading out for a guided trip on the white river for trout. This will be my first fishing trip with a guide and I'm wondering what a average tip should be per person? It's a 7:30-3:30 trip with a box lunch provided and there will be 3 of us.

Post Thanks / Like

Re: How much do you tip a guide?

My opinion, it depends on how well the trip went. When I have been on trips in the past, you pay $100 a person for example, if it was just a good trip you may tip $10- $20 dollars. If it was the time of your life, with a trophy fish to go along with it, probably $30 or so.

I struggled with how much my first time, I felt like I was already paying him $100, but in the time spent with the guide you will build a connection and most likely have an awesome and unforgettable time. But it is all about what you feel comfortable doing.

Just remember that any tip will be much appreciated.
    Last edited by AJM; 04-30-2008 at 03:10 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

If you have a good time a like your guide then I'd give him a minimum of $50.

Post Thanks / Like

Every guide I've talked to said that you tip a guide just like you would a waitress at a restaurant.

10%, 15%, 20%, or whatever you think based on the guide's EFFORT, not by how many fish you catch.
    Likes MagikSmallie, jcb, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

your standard 15% to 20% should be fine, and maybe a bottle of good bourbon too.
    Likes MagikSmallie, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Col Forbin View Post
    your standard 15% to 20% should be fine, and maybe a bottle of good bourbon too.
    15% to 20% tip amount is great, but the bourbon would never make it to the boat!

Thanks guys for the advice...

Post Thanks / Like

I have only gone out with a guide a couple of times but didnt even think about tipping him. I paid him for his services, I guess if he did something exceptionally great I could give him a little more, but to me this is NOTHING like tipping a waitress, a waitress is paid way below minimum wage and depends upon his/her tips to make a living. Tell me if I am wrong but this is just my 2 cents.

When I use to go to the barber I NEVER tipped him either, maybe I am just a cheap skate?

Post Thanks / Like

From a guide: Normally it is customary to tip a guide 10-15%. Here is how I look at it from a guide's point of view:

If you can afford the tip you should do so...no we are not waitresses but it has been a custom to tip hunting and fishing guides since there were such folks. Most of us guides depend on the tips to pay some of our expenses so we can keep our costs down for the clients. Now, I am a firm believer that if the guide has not earned the tip, they should not be tipped....earning is not based on how many fish or how big are the fish you catch...guides are not gods...we can't control the weather, the fish or your ability. We can however, work hard to put you on fish and try to teach you as much as we can in the short time we are on the water together. So if you feel the guide has worked hard to get you on fish and/or taught you something about the type fishing you are doing so you can later do it on your own...you should tip them.

Do I think someone is cheap if they do not tip?...actually I figure it is one of the following:

1. They are not satisfied with the services they received.
    2. They are ignorant of the fact they are expected by custom to tip a guide.
    3. They cannot afford to tip.
    4. They are cheap. (Yes, I tip my barber)

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Stewart View Post
    From a guide: Normally it is customary to tip a guide 10-15%. Here is how I look at it from a guide's point of view:

If you can afford the tip you should do so...no we are not waitresses but it has been a custom to tip hunting and fishing guides since there were such folks. Most of us guides depend on the tips to pay some of our expenses so we can keep our costs down for the clients. Now, I am a firm believer that if the guide has not earned the tip, they should not be tipped....earning is not based on how many fish or how big are the fish you catch...guides are not gods...we can't control the weather, the fish or your ability. We can however, work hard to put you on fish and try to teach you as much as we can in the short time we are on the water together. So if you feel the guide has worked hard to get you on fish and/or taught you something about the type fishing you are doing so you can later do it on your own...you should tip them.

Do I think someone is cheap if they do not tip?...actually I figure it is one of the following:

1. They are not satisfied with the services they received.
    2. They are ignorant of the fact they are expected by custom to tip a guide.
    3. They cannot afford to tip.
    4. They are cheap. (Yes, I tip my barber)
    So Dave how much do you tip your car salesman when he spends 3 hours on the lot getting the right truck and terms then countless hours after that resolving issues, and assisting with service? If 15 % seems fair to you I look forward to helping you buy your next $60,000 Ford Super Duty 4x4
    Likes waterdog101 liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dobe Mejuwa View Post
    So Dave how much do you tip your car salesman when he spends 3 hours on the lot getting the right truck and terms then countless hours after that resolving issues, and assisting with service? If 15 % seems fair to you I look forward to helping you buy your next $60,000 Ford Super Duty 4x4
    I have tipped and still do many folks that provide me good service..ie...barber, mailman, delivery persons, waiters and waitresses, plumbers, electricians and many more....but I would not consider tipping a car salesman any more than I would consider tipping a prostitute as I know their goal is to see just how much money they can screw me out of.
    Likes jcb, PRO V LE, Jkratzwald, stripernut1, Wormin and 2 others liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    I have tipped and still do many folks that provide me good service..ie...barber, mailman, delivery persons, waiters and waitresses, plumbers, electricians and many more....but I would not consider tipping a car salesman any more than I would consider tipping a prostitute as I know their goal is to see just how much money they can screw me out of.
    And that is CHECKMATE!!! lol
    Likes Wormin, GeoFisher liked this post

Post Thanks / Like
    hahahahahha........awesome Answer.